Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New to PC Building: Is this a balanced PC build?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 2, 2014 5:03:37 PM

Hey everyone,

I am new to PC building, and I am in the process of choosing parts for a gaming PC. I will use it for only gaming, and everyday use like email and internet usage. No video editing/rendering. I want to play games on highest or close to highest graphics settings. I have all of the parts picked out, but I need to know if there will be any bottlenecking involved with the build, and if it is able to get the job done when playing on ultra settings. Is my GPU not good enough for the rest of the build, or is it overpowering the rest of the system? Any advice or approval of the setup is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Parts:
CPU: Intel i5-4670K 4 core
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Seagate 600 Series 240GB 2.5"
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to play most of the new big titles coming in the next couple years, as well as games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Bioshock Series, etc, at max or close to max settings.
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2014 5:08:43 PM

JustinRM6 said:
Hey everyone,

I am new to PC building, and I am in the process of choosing parts for a gaming PC. I will use it for only gaming, and everyday use like email and internet usage. No video editing/rendering. I want to play games on highest or close to highest graphics settings. I have all of the parts picked out, but I need to know if there will be any bottlenecking involved with the build, and if it is able to get the job done when playing on ultra settings. Is my GPU not good enough for the rest of the build, or is it overpowering the rest of the system? Any advice or approval of the setup is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Parts:
CPU: Intel i5-4670K 4 core
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Seagate 600 Series 240GB 2.5"
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to play most of the new big titles coming in the next couple years, as well as games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Bioshock Series, etc, at max or close to max settings.


Looks good. You may be able to save a bit and look at some ASRock Z97 Motherboards. In my opinion they are a bit better than MSI.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:09:06 PM

Yep it's, fine. Go with windows 8.1 you will get better fps.

a i5 won't bottleneck the r9 290.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2014 5:10:05 PM

Ok, I will take a look. Any recommendations for a case? ATX Mid Tower Size
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:12:53 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
One change the power supply is very poor not for a high end build with a 290.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


SR-71 Blackbird said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $149.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


Do i need a Full Tower case if my motherboard is only a mid-tower?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:15:39 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $104.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Share
July 2, 2014 5:20:59 PM

Ok thanks for all the help everybody.
m
0
l
a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:22:04 PM

No problem enjoy the build.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:23:24 PM

Your build is good as is, but to answer some questions:
The cx600 psu is an ok unit but not really good. The xfx650 suggested would be excellent.

At the same price, I would use the i5-4690K it is clocked a bit higher and has better thermals.

Most any Z97 motherboard will do the job.

The cpu to gpu budget balance(1:2) is appropriate.

Pick a case you love the looks of. You will be looking at it for a long time.
Your parts will fit in anything.
It needs to hold your motherboard. If you use a smaller M-ATX motherboard, you can use a smaller case.
For airflow, you will be ok with at least two 120mm intake fans or better.

If you can stand windows 8.1 buy it; I have a hard time with it.
Performance wise, there is not a significant difference from w7.

R9-290 wins fps benchmarks, but I think most are more satisfied with a GTX770 or GTX780.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:30:16 PM

So if all other parts are the same, and I apply the i5-4690K, with the xfx650W, then is the ASUS GTX 780 worth the extra money? Is there that much of an increase that is worth the extra money?
m
0
l
a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:31:35 PM

It wouldn't bottleneck it would be balanced.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:35:44 PM

Worth it?
That is for YOU to decide.
For me, I have never regretted buying the stronger part.
I have often regretted buying the cheaper part and wondering if I made a mistake.
m
0
l
a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:36:24 PM

+1 ^ That is 100% on the money.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:36:32 PM

JustinRM6 said:
So if all other parts are the same, and I apply the i5-4690K, with the xfx650W, then is the ASUS GTX 780 worth the extra money? Is there that much of an increase that is worth the extra money?


SR-71 Blackbird said:
It wouldn't bottleneck it would be balanced.


So are you saying that it would be more balanced with a GTX 780?

m
0
l
a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:37:27 PM

So if all other parts are the same, and I apply the i5-4690K, with the xfx650W, then is the ASUS GTX 780 worth the extra money? Is there that much of an increase that is worth the extra money? < Yes get the Best , then no regrets.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:38:29 PM

geofelt said:
Worth it?
That is for YOU to decide.
For me, I have never regretted buying the stronger part.
I have often regretted buying the cheaper part and wondering if I made a mistake.


I see. I might go with a gtx 780. Any recommendations for which one? (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, etc)

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:50:52 PM

FWIW EVGA would be my choice.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:53:53 PM

Ok thanks a lot guys.

On a side note, is there such thing as a good mouse pad, or are they all relatively the same? I have seen a ton of mouse pads with varying prices, and they all seem to be different sizes, or are just expensive because they have a brand name on them. I have no idea which one to get, and I know I need one, because using a mouse without one kinda sucks. Any thoughts?
m
0
l
a c 469 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 5:56:33 PM

I use generic mouse pads , that's a personal choice.Buy what you like.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 6:00:54 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I use generic mouse pads , that's a personal choice.Buy what you like.


Ok thanks a lot

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2014 6:12:48 PM

JustinRM6 said:
Ok thanks a lot guys.

On a side note, is there such thing as a good mouse pad, or are they all relatively the same? I have seen a ton of mouse pads with varying prices, and they all seem to be different sizes, or are just expensive because they have a brand name on them. I have no idea which one to get, and I know I need one, because using a mouse without one kinda sucks. Any thoughts?


I like the Xtrac ripper XXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is large but you never run out of room. The keyboard fits on top.
m
0
l
!