Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cloning a laptop HDD to a SSD for use in a desktop build: How do I get rid of laptop drivers???

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 2, 2014 7:36:33 PM




Backstory:

In spring 2011 I bought a 2010 Dell Inspiron 1564 (complete with Ps CS4) from a friend in the dorm I lived in for $200 on a "pay me whenever, just pay me" basis because knew I was broke, and needed a laptop.

About a year ago, the HDD was giving "CAUTION" on a SMART test, so I bought a 250GB Samsung SSD with the idea to transfer the data over and have the SSD as the main drive, and just put the cautioned drive as a external (With my 2T external being a backup of both drives.)

That never happened as I got really busy with coursework, and the cautioned drive is still (PUNCHES EVERY WOODEN THING) going.strong.


Problem:

As a graduation gift, I'm being given a $700 budget to build a desktop, which I have a pretty adequate setup for picked out... ...except for a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

So, I know I can make an image of my HDD and use that + a Windows recovery disc to get the data sufficiently moved+installed to the SSD, which should save me a boatload of cash,

What I'm not sure on is how to go about getting the Dell-specefic drivers deleted, and installing the drivers I need to use (ASUS mobo, EVGA GPU, etc.) without any huge hassles.

Googling only brings me up a bunch of basic data transfer articles..

Do I just go in as if it's an external and delete them?

Thanks for any help, this is my first-ever desktop build.
a b G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 7:44:28 PM

That Windows install will not activate on a new PC. Being Dell OEM there is even less chance because it is tied directly to that Dell laptop. Just get a new Windows disk, please, it will be easier.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 7:45:30 PM

First, this is illegal (from Microsoft point of view). The Windows license is tied to that particular laptop, and is not transferrable separately.

Second, you will most probably not be able to even boot that this on the other board, for a lot of various reasons. If you do, you can boot in safe mode, delete the drivers, and reboot to install other drivers.

Third, this will be more or less useless. Your new mobo will probably have more than 4GB of RAM, while you had 32-bit Windows on the laptop.

And finally - software is not extra. If you need Windows, buy it. If you are still in the college, yo probably can get it cheap, or free. Or use Linux.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 815 G Storage
a c 285 D Laptop
a c 572 $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 7:51:21 PM

As stated above, for multiple reasons this cannot and will not work.
Buy an OS for the new PC.

If you really can't afford it, sell the laptop with the current OS and buy new for the new desktop.

1 license, 1 PC.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 8:08:57 PM

Alabalcho said:
First, this is illegal (from Microsoft point of view). The Windows license is tied to that particular laptop, and is not transferrable separately.

Second, you will most probably not be able to even boot that this on the other board, for a lot of various reasons. If you do, you can boot in safe mode, delete the drivers, and reboot to install other drivers.

Third, this will be more or less useless. Your new mobo will probably have more than 4GB of RAM, while you had 32-bit Windows on the laptop.

And finally - software is not extra. If you need Windows, buy it. If you are still in the college, yo probably can get it cheap, or free. Or use Linux.


Well, it was a 64 bit install, and I already had upped the RAM from the stock 4GB to 8GB.

If I must, I can order a copy of Home Premium, but hopefully a data transfer will allow me to keep the Ps install without having to re-enter the key...
m
0
l
a c 815 G Storage
a c 285 D Laptop
a c 572 $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 8:11:35 PM

WhoisL said:
Alabalcho said:
First, this is illegal (from Microsoft point of view). The Windows license is tied to that particular laptop, and is not transferrable separately.

Second, you will most probably not be able to even boot that this on the other board, for a lot of various reasons. If you do, you can boot in safe mode, delete the drivers, and reboot to install other drivers.

Third, this will be more or less useless. Your new mobo will probably have more than 4GB of RAM, while you had 32-bit Windows on the laptop.

And finally - software is not extra. If you need Windows, buy it. If you are still in the college, yo probably can get it cheap, or free. Or use Linux.


Well, it was a 64 bit install, and I already had upped the RAM from the stock 4GB to 8GB.

If I must, I can order a copy of Home Premium, but hopefully a data transfer will allow me to keep the Ps install without having to re-enter the key...


The 'key' is the crucial part. You cannot reuse the old key on the new hardware.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 8:19:37 PM

derp
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 8:25:31 PM

USAFRet said:
WhoisL said:
Alabalcho said:
First, this is illegal (from Microsoft point of view). The Windows license is tied to that particular laptop, and is not transferrable separately.

Second, you will most probably not be able to even boot that this on the other board, for a lot of various reasons. If you do, you can boot in safe mode, delete the drivers, and reboot to install other drivers.

Third, this will be more or less useless. Your new mobo will probably have more than 4GB of RAM, while you had 32-bit Windows on the laptop.

And finally - software is not extra. If you need Windows, buy it. If you are still in the college, yo probably can get it cheap, or free. Or use Linux.


Well, it was a 64 bit install, and I already had upped the RAM from the stock 4GB to 8GB.

If I must, I can order a copy of Home Premium, but hopefully a data transfer will allow me to keep the Ps install without having to re-enter the key...


The 'key' is the crucial part. You cannot reuse the old key on the new hardware.


Well, shit. Definitely don't have $400+ to get another Photoshop key...
m
0
l
a c 815 G Storage
a c 285 D Laptop
a c 572 $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 8:25:41 PM

WhoisL said:
Well, shit. Definitely don't have $400+ to get another Photoshop key...


For PS, you can 'probably' reinstall and use the original key.
But with reinstalling the OS, you will have to reinstall PS.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 8:37:15 PM

notherdude said:
re: Photoshop https://forums.adobe.com/message/4677365

If you had only one install with a valid key it should be transferable by 'deactivating' the old install.


Well, it sounds like that requires the key that was originally used to install it, which I don't have because I wasn't the person who installed it.

I can certainly see if the guy I bought it from still has the key, but let's just say I'm neither expecting him to have not used it again, or for him to still have it if he didn't.
m
0
l
a c 815 G Storage
a c 285 D Laptop
a c 572 $ Windows 7
July 2, 2014 8:41:11 PM

WhoisL said:
notherdude said:
re: Photoshop https://forums.adobe.com/message/4677365

If you had only one install with a valid key it should be transferable by 'deactivating' the old install.


Well, it sounds like that requires the key that was originally used to install it, which I don't have because I wasn't the person who installed it.

I can certainly see if the guy I bought it from still has the key, but let's just say I'm neither expecting him to have not used it again, or for him to still have it if he didn't.


Well then...if you do not have the key, no matter how it gets 'used'...either reinstall or clone or VM or whatever....it is out of bounds.
Just like Windows - 1 license, 1 PC. The license must be transferred along with the software. Anything else, you didn't 'buy it'.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 8:52:11 PM

USAFRet said:
WhoisL said:
notherdude said:
re: Photoshop https://forums.adobe.com/message/4677365

If you had only one install with a valid key it should be transferable by 'deactivating' the old install.


Well, it sounds like that requires the key that was originally used to install it, which I don't have because I wasn't the person who installed it.

I can certainly see if the guy I bought it from still has the key, but let's just say I'm neither expecting him to have not used it again, or for him to still have it if he didn't.


Well then...if you do not have the key, no matter how it gets 'used'...either reinstall or clone or VM or whatever....it is out of bounds.
Just like Windows - 1 license, 1 PC. The license must be transferred along with the software. Anything else, you didn't 'buy it'.



Yeah. I guess I'll just plan on using GIMP, then.
m
0
l
a c 235 G Storage
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2014 2:45:28 PM

D/L and install "Belarc Advisor" and when you run it, the prog. will list all of your product keys and serial numbers.

Yogi
m
0
l
!