Sign in with
Your question
Solved

780 ti Underclocking?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2014 7:46:56 PM

My 780 ti which I've had for about 6 months now, has suddenly been acting quite weird... I went from getting over 100 fps in games like Battlefield, and Borderlands, but after a while I joined a Battlefield server and noticed the framerate was.. well bad. I checked and the fps was around 43, and that was in Battlefield 3 which this gpu just destroys that game, so I opened Precison X, and noticed my clock speed.. In game my clock speed was only around 512mhz way way way below just stock speeds and way below my 1200 mhz overclock I had on it. I thought maybe it was the game as if my gpu was still in a lower power state because of it or something, but any game I try, any benchmark I try and there's no change. I was running the absolute latest drivers 340.43 which is a beta driver so could that be the issue? Could it be a Precision X issue? I have a 750 watt power supply and my whole system doesn't even reach 550 watts so it shouldn't be a power issue. I have an i7 4770k and 16 gb of ram so there shouldn't be a bottleneck. Of course I have a warranty on my gpu buy I don't want to send it in if I don't have to, and really I don't believe it's a hardware issue, but if anyone has some suggestions please please help I would be so grateful.

More about : 780 underclocking

a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2014 8:03:53 PM

are you running gpu boost 2.0? load its defaults and apply them, also check the temps with GPU-Z
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 405 Î Nvidia
a c 612 U Graphics card
July 2, 2014 8:14:59 PM

Check your temperatures to see if there is an overheating issue.
Reinstall your drivers with a clean install, the latest beta drivers are fine.
In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to: Manage 3D settings > Power Management Mode > Prefer maximum performance

Let us know if that does anything.

What CPU do you have?
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2014 9:05:42 PM

HEXiT said:
are you running gpu boost 2.0? load its defaults and apply them, also check the temps with GPU-Z

I loaded the defaults, I have no fps limit on or anything either. Since it's at such a low clock speed, the temp is only around 31, 32 degrees and that was after using multiple software to see if it was right.
m
l
July 2, 2014 9:07:46 PM

17seconds said:
In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to: Manage 3D settings > Power Management Mode > Prefer maximum performance

What CPU do you have?

No overheating problem at all. I did set the power management to maximum, and I guess it fixed it kind of, but now my gpu is running at full power all the time, so it's hotter, louder, and using more power even when just typing like right now. My cpu is an i7 4770k.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a c 405 Î Nvidia
a c 612 U Graphics card
July 2, 2014 10:35:02 PM

TalonL said:
17seconds said:

What CPU do you have?

No overheating problem at all. I did set the power management to maximum, and I guess it fixed it kind of, but now my gpu is running at full power all the time, so it's hotter, louder, and using more power even when just typing like right now. My cpu is an i7 4770k.

That's not how it's supposed to work. It should still drop down to idle and 2D clock speeds when appropriate with the Maximum power setting. What were your clock speeds at idle and on the internet?
!