Will my 450 watt PSU blow up my components?

ra1n1ngbr1ck5

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I've ordered a 450 watt corsair PSU for my Intel i5 4440 and gtx 750. I've been looking around and it says CPUs use 60 amps and less than 2 volts. But on the power railing it says 12 volts and 33 amps, and 12 volts and 20 amps(I think), here's an image of the PSU power rail,

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B98htuh05n20a2VvaGFxZ0xNbmc/edit?usp=docslist_api

I really need someone to tell me, will this damage my components and if it doesn't why not how does power management work?

Solution

No it won't as the PSU has more than enough power for what you intend to use & it's not some cheap PSU. The motherboard & other components will draw the power they need from the PSU and distribute it as needed. You will have plenty of power to spare, as your only running a modest system. Unless you haven't listed 10 HDDs or something you'll be using as we'll.

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014
The 12v rail powers your most hungry components, 33amps = 396w

GTX 750 (60w) + i5 4440 (84w) = 144w

So this is your most demanding part of your system. Add in everything else and your likely pulling less than 250w.

The VX series is one of Corsairs shining series while it lasted. The VX 450w is made by Seasonic, arguably the best PSU manufacturer , so that's a huge bonus. And I f it's a new PSU , not used, even better.

Note, to my knowledge it isn't officially Haswell compatible, albeit stated as still awaiting validation. Which refers to the power saving feature when your CPU is idle. Some motherboards have this c6/c7 power saving feature disabled by default, or it can be turned off in BIOS settings.

http://www.legitreviews.com/what-enabling-c6c7-low-power-states-do-on-the-core-i7-4770k-haswell-cpu_2217

ra1n1ngbr1ck5

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
But the CPU will definitly not be blown up or damaged. Like does the motherboard control the amount of volts and amps that go into the components (sorry I'm a bit of a noon, I'm just over protective because this is my first PC build)

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014

No it won't as the PSU has more than enough power for what you intend to use & it's not some cheap PSU. The motherboard & other components will draw the power they need from the PSU and distribute it as needed. You will have plenty of power to spare, as your only running a modest system. Unless you haven't listed 10 HDDs or something you'll be using as we'll.

Solution