7950 drivers installed but wont post.

computern

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Just got a second hand sapphire 7950 3gb gddr5 dual x, deleted old drivers, pulled out my old card, put in new card and connected all the power. booted up pc using onboard graphics, installed the new catalyst control centre software and correct driver, windows can see 7900 series card in device manager under display adaptors but when i turned the pc off and switched from onboard to pci i just get a black screen and my asrock motherboard beeps 5 times. Ive tried several things including resetting my mobo bios and switching the gpus bios from 1 to 2. nothing seems to help. Any help will be greatly appreciated. (i do realise the card may be fualty)

On a modern board it should basically default to the discrete card and no need to do anything in BIOS which if done should be set at either PEG or PCI Express (not just PCI). Monitor has to be connected to the card and card has to have power from the PSU to display.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

What power supply are you using? Does it have the 6+2 PCIe power cables on it or are you using some kind of adapter from a molex cable? Also, look at the motherboard after you press the power button. Most boards have LEDs near the PCIe slots. Does an LED turn on after the PC turns on?

computern

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
My build worked fine before this, just upgrading the gpu. If i have (in the bios) it set to pci-express it does go to the gpu but thats when i get the 5 beeps and a black screen, so i can actually access my pc i switch it to onboard.

computern

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Im using a somewhat old Raidmax 500watt that came install with my somewhat old raidmax hurrican case. im using 1pci 6 pin and 1 molex adapater(2x molex to 1pci 6pin).

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

It could be that a) the card is bad or b) the molex to 6 pin adapter is bad or loose. Did you try switching it to a different pair of molex plugs? Also, make sure they are on the same wire, don't use two molex plugs from two different wires - make sure they share the same ground and everything else.

The only reason it hasnt burned so far is that you had a fairly low power requirements in the first place. Now adding a 200W card changed things.... a LOT. With the best intentions in mind, please, please DO NOT experiment any further with this supply. Get a new one ASAP. Let's just hope it didn't take motherboard or something else with it. Fingers crossed.