Solved

Core i5 Vs AMD A10. Help!

Hey, I´m just about to build a new powerful(yet conservative) HTPC, to play some games. however I don´t know what processor will work the best for me.

My options are i5 4590s and amd a10 6700.

i5 is a better cpu, but the A10 has better graphics.

Any suggestions? what would you choose?
47 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core amd a10
  1. for a htpc the a10 would be a cheaper solution and has better integrated graphics
  2. If you're not going to use a discrete video card, I'd lean A10 since it's more 'balanced' with a 'fast enough' CPU.
  3. A core i5 has better processing power and multi tasking capacity with better performance per core than the AMD A10.
    If you wish/can spend money for a discrete gpu, then you should go for the i5.
    But if you dont want to spend money on a discrete gpu, then you can go for AMD A10 as it also has a good processing power with a great graphics power. :)
  4. 10 for htpc for the win
  5. I would normally think a apu would be a good choice for a HTPC.

    But, my understanding is that Intel HD4600 graphics is entirely adequate for such things as HD movie playback, I might pick the better cpu. I would look at the i3-4330 duo with hyperthreading which costs less than either, runs cooler at lower wattage.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945
  6. No, im not using a graphics card.

    Ok, but if we speak about the difference in processor power, the i5 vs the A10... how much is the difference? I´m going to even notice that?
  7. In terms of processing power, the i5 will always outperform the A10, in all aspects, in benchmarks and games (with GPU).

    Now, if you're not going to use a dedicated GPU, then go for the A10, as it has better iGPU (integrated GPU) and is fast enough to play games smoothly.
  8. Catlish said:
    No, im not using a graphics card.

    Ok, but if we speak about the difference in processor power, the i5 vs the A10... how much is the difference? I´m going to even notice that?


    In gaming, the A10 will blow the i5 out of the water. While the i5 will blow the A10 out of the water in CPU intensive tasks.

    Plus, this is a HTPC, it DOESN"T NEED powerful processing power it's a waste of money.

    Just go with the A10, since you will be gaming the A10's IGPU is so much better.
  9. TechCIDLC said:
    In terms of processing power, the i5 will always outperform the A10, in all aspects, in benchmarks and games (with GPU).

    Now, if you're not going to use a dedicated GPU, then go for the A10, as it has better iGPU (integrated GPU) and is fast enough to play games smoothly.


    Just for being curious.

    how good (or bad) is the iGPU of the i5? (intel HD 4000 if im not wrong) I mean, wich game should I be able to play? Cuz' I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer :D
  10. A10 will be the best choice for your condition.
    And there will be a difference in the processing power not much noticeable in single-threaded tasks. But in gaming, the A10 is a beast, far better than the i-gpu of i5. ;)
  11. for htpc the integrated graphics on the amd would be better for bluerays streaming movies ;)
  12. Catlish said:
    TechCIDLC said:
    In terms of processing power, the i5 will always outperform the A10, in all aspects, in benchmarks and games (with GPU).

    Now, if you're not going to use a dedicated GPU, then go for the A10, as it has better iGPU (integrated GPU) and is fast enough to play games smoothly.


    Just for being curious.

    how good (or bad) is the iGPU of the i5? (intel HD 4000 if im not wrong) I mean, wich game should I be able to play? Cuz' I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer :D


    iceclock said:
    for htpc the integrated graphics on the amd would be better for bluerays streaming movies ;)



    You can play games on HD 4000 graphics, but at LOW settings and al bet not at 1080P.

    I don't get why your even considering the i5 for your HTPC since you don't need powerful cpu to run a movie.
  13. I do not think you would see any major difference in either cpu power or graphics power in a HTPC build.
    Both have adequate graphics for 1080P HD playback.
    ditto for cpu.
    One difference would be the need for a good cooler for the A10 uses larger mfg tech parts. It can generate 110w at load. The i3-4330 is half that. Better coolers need space in your HTPC cabinet, and will be noisier.
  14. so your advising a i5 because it runs cooler and wouldnt utilise less power? interesting
  15. geofelt said:
    I do not think you would see any major difference in either cpu power or graphics power in a HTPC build.
    Both have adequate graphics for 1080P HD playback.
    ditto for cpu.
    One difference would be the need for a good cooler for the A10 uses larger mfg tech parts. It can generate 110w at load. The i3-4330 is half that. Better coolers need space in your HTPC cabinet, and will be noisier.


    The OP did mention light gaming too; so 1080p playback isn't the minimum benchmark
  16. TechyInAZ said:
    Catlish said:
    TechCIDLC said:
    In terms of processing power, the i5 will always outperform the A10, in all aspects, in benchmarks and games (with GPU).

    Now, if you're not going to use a dedicated GPU, then go for the A10, as it has better iGPU (integrated GPU) and is fast enough to play games smoothly.


    Just for being curious.

    how good (or bad) is the iGPU of the i5? (intel HD 4000 if im not wrong) I mean, wich game should I be able to play? Cuz' I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer :D


    iceclock said:
    for htpc the integrated graphics on the amd would be better for bluerays streaming movies ;)



    You can play games on HD 4000 graphics, but at LOW settings and al bet not at 1080P.

    I don't get why your even considering the i5 for your HTPC since you don't need powerful cpu to run a movie.


    Yes, I get your point, I know I can even use a intel atom for playing Full HD. But the thing is, I want more than an HTPC, i want something more than just play videos, I want it to be useful, to play and surf the internet, etc, etc, (this is because I ise my laptop for work only)
  17. Small form factor builds are interesting because of the need for component cooling stuffed into a small case. In particular, a HTPC pc will want to be so quiet that any cooling noise is not noticeable.
    If the case is really small to fit in a restrictive cabinet space, heat control becomes even more important.
    Don't know what case the OP has in mind.
  18. whats your budget for the full build first of all from there we can determine whats best for you]
  19. Talking about noise. I DON'T CARE. I live in an very hot place, you cant live without and A/C unit or a Fan at least, so, noise is not my concern.

    About budget, it´s about 230$ for the CPU so thats why I'm thinking of those 2
  20. will u be doing gaming or do u prefer having more cpu power.
  21. soso. Play decent games, and surf the web. Video edition sometimes
  22. A far better option to both of these is to get a Pentium or i3 and a discrete graphics card... the combination will destroy both of them in performance for gaming and you won't notice a difference for content/web browsing/general day-to-day use anyway.
  23. G3258 $75 and a GTX750ti $150 would be far superior in both cpu and gpu categories.
  24. Traciatim said:
    A far better option to both of these is to get a Pentium or i3 and a discrete graphics card... the combination will destroy both of them in performance for gaming and you won't notice a difference for content/web browsing/general day-to-day use anyway.


    Neh, I'm not buying external GPU's, my case is small, It just has Hdd and Slimline DVD.

    Morex t3500
    http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=T350060W&cat=129
  25. doubled, sry
  26. if you got a small case ur gonna want less heat and the intel i5 4690 would fit the bill heat less. use less power and would be quite decent for htpc.
  27. iceclock said:
    if you got a small case ur gonna want less heat and the intel i5 4690 would fit the bill heat less. use less power and would be quite decent for htpc.



    The A10 6700 has the same TDP.

    What's your opinion then?
  28. well it depends do u want more cpu power or more gpu power?
  29. I think someone asked me that. And there is were is my BIG quiestion.

    If I surf the Web, play some last gen games (low settings, who cares) and do video edition sometimes. What CPU suits my needs?
  30. the question i ask in priority will u be multitasking alot and doing videoediting or simple tasks like websurfing and such.

    because if u gonna video edit and multitask the i5 gonna blow the amd outta water.

    so answer my question than i can give u a better answer
  31. A very cute case. Love it

    But... it comes with only a 60W power brick.
    The A10 will not run under load.
    This review showed it taking 119w:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6700_review_apu,8.html

    Your only choice might be this 35w i3-4130T:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116947
    Possibly the 54w i3-4440 would do.
  32. ya i dint notice its only 60watt p-brick

    guess a 4130 would be a nice choice and would run less hot and use less power.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116947

    has 2 physical processors and 2 ht software cores more than enought for the task u said ud be doing
  33. geofelt said:
    A very cute case. Love it

    But... it comes with only a 60W power brick.
    The A10 will not run under load.
    This review showed it taking 119w:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6700_review_apu,8.html

    Your only choice might be this 35w i3-4130T:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116947



    No, lol XD I have the case but I replaced the psu for a 180w pico I had laying arround XD
  34. well anyways the 4690 would be better if u multitask and video edit alot, if you wanna do light gaming and so on prob the a10 be better.for u to choose
  35. iceclock said:
    the question i ask in priority will u be multitasking alot and doing videoediting or simple tasks like websurfing and such.

    because if u gonna video edit and multitask the i5 gonna blow the amd outta water.

    so answer my question than i can give u a better answer



    About this... if you consider playing music and web browsing at the same time heavy multitasking, yes.

    if I play games, I maybe have one browser window open to see guides,

    and if a I play moovies, i wont be doing anything else
  36. iceclock said:
    well anyways the 4690 would be better if u multitask and video edit alot, if you wanna do light gaming and so on prob the a10 be better.for u to choose



    Actually, nevermind. I think im going for the AMD. suits better my needs

    So, 2 questions for you.
    1- Should I go for the A10 6700 or the A8 6500?
    2- Wich cooler should I get? I KNOW the i series stock cooler fits my case, but if im not wrong The amd stock is bigger
  37. dude, you are going to explode my PSU xd 180w PicoPSU, remember
  38. read here
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A8-6500-vs-AMD-A10-6700

    Almost same power, 50$ diference
  39. except the gpu is stronger on the 6700
  40. True!

    What do you think?
    A8 or A10?
    How determinating is the iGPU
  41. Best answer
    10 is def worth the extra money imo up to u but id totally get it
  42. you right. This is almost solved. Last thing, the cooler. Is there any good small aftermarket you know?
  43. u got a pretty small case. not shur what would work in there.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608029&cm_re=noctua-_-35-608-029-_-Product

    smallest i can think of\
  44. anyhow, TY Iceclock, you solved my trouble again
  45. anytime sir
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Windows 8 AMD Intel i5 CPUs