Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is a 600 Watt PSU enough for my gaming build? Or should I go higher?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 4, 2014 4:34:19 PM

I would like your opinions on a PSU wattage for my gaming build.
Here are my specs:
-Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
-CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera
-GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2gb
-RAM: G-Skill Sniper Series16gb (2 x 8)
-HDD: WD Black Series 7200RPM 3TB
-SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SATA III
-Watercooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
-Optical drive: Blu-Ray Reader
-Case: NZXT Phantom 410

Plus your usual USB devices (ex. USB hub) and a wireless card.

I used the extreme outervision calculator and it suggested a 628 Watt PSU. But do you think a 600 Watt would be enough? I'm thinking of purchasing the Corsair CXM 600W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Thanks.
July 4, 2014 4:37:51 PM

I got 500W and that's enough for mine and I kinda got the same specs as you. :p 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2014 4:42:02 PM

Yes 600w is enough. Your build takes about ~450w in total so it even gives you space for OC'ing but I'd stay away from Corsair CX series PSUs theyre made with poor components and wouldnot trust it with mid-high end components like you Mobo CPU and GPU

EDIT: Said stay away from Corsair CX series but didnt give other options silly me. Go with XFX Seasonic or Rosewill PSUs they basically dominate the PSU market and have the best PSUs
Share
Related resources
July 4, 2014 4:55:41 PM

If you think of the power requirements of the build as a weight to carry and go from there. I have always gotten larger output then needed to lessen the work load. It will last longer and run cooler. If 600 is recommended 400 might carry it for a bit but it will fail sooner and add to the heat a great deal at the minimum shortening other components life or causing them to fail as well. A 700 watt PSU on a system that draws 600 watts will last longer and create less heat. Just a thought.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2014 4:59:40 PM

NUMBA1TARGET said:
If you think of the power requirements of the build as a weight to carry and go from there. I have always gotten larger output then needed to lessen the work load. It will last longer and run cooler. If 600 is recommended 400 might carry it for a bit but it will fail sooner and add to the heat a great deal at the minimum shortening other components life or causing them to fail as well. A 700 watt PSU on a system that draws 600 watts will last longer and create less heat. Just a thought.


I dont think this has any relevance to the thread besides the fact that it talks about PSUs
m
0
l
July 4, 2014 5:41:42 PM

xTempered said:
Yes 600w is enough. Your build takes about ~450w in total so it even gives you space for OC'ing but I'd stay away from Corsair CX series PSUs theyre made with poor components and wouldnot trust it with mid-high end components like you Mobo CPU and GPU

EDIT: Said stay away from Corsair CX series but didnt give other options silly me. Go with XFX Seasonic or Rosewill PSUs they basically dominate the PSU market and have the best PSUs


Great! I wasn't sure how much my build drew, its very helpful to know. I'll definitely go for a 600w so I can overclock in the future. And I'll steer clear of the Corsair CX series, thanks for warning me.

Of the Rosewill and Seasonic PSUs, which of these two do you think the would be better?
1. Rosewill Hive-650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
2. Seasonic M12II 620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Thanks again.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2014 5:47:22 PM

NeroDevil said:
xTempered said:
Yes 600w is enough. Your build takes about ~450w in total so it even gives you space for OC'ing but I'd stay away from Corsair CX series PSUs theyre made with poor components and wouldnot trust it with mid-high end components like you Mobo CPU and GPU

EDIT: Said stay away from Corsair CX series but didnt give other options silly me. Go with XFX Seasonic or Rosewill PSUs they basically dominate the PSU market and have the best PSUs


Great! I wasn't sure how much my build drew, its very helpful to know. I'll definitely go for a 600w so I can overclock in the future. And I'll steer clear of the Corsair CX series, thanks for warning me.

Of the Rosewill and Seasonic PSUs, which of these two do you think the would be better?
1. Rosewill Hive-650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
2. Seasonic M12II 620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Thanks again.


I'd go with the Rosewill because it has that slight wattage advantage that might somehow be useful down the road. But really its up to your own preference theyre both really good PSUs
m
0
l
July 4, 2014 8:51:20 PM

xTempered said:
NeroDevil said:
xTempered said:
Yes 600w is enough. Your build takes about ~450w in total so it even gives you space for OC'ing but I'd stay away from Corsair CX series PSUs theyre made with poor components and wouldnot trust it with mid-high end components like you Mobo CPU and GPU

EDIT: Said stay away from Corsair CX series but didnt give other options silly me. Go with XFX Seasonic or Rosewill PSUs they basically dominate the PSU market and have the best PSUs


Great! I wasn't sure how much my build drew, its very helpful to know. I'll definitely go for a 600w so I can overclock in the future. And I'll steer clear of the Corsair CX series, thanks for warning me.

Of the Rosewill and Seasonic PSUs, which of these two do you think the would be better?
1. Rosewill Hive-650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
2. Seasonic M12II 620 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Thanks again.


I'd go with the Rosewill because it has that slight wattage advantage that might somehow be useful down the road. But really its up to your own preference theyre both really good PSUs


I think thats the one I'll go with. Because in addition to the wattage advantage the Rosewill also has a larger fan (quieter) and is single rail, which is a bit easier to manage. Thanks for all your help. :) 

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2014 9:00:46 PM

Yea the single rail was also the other reason why I suggested it but I wasnt aware if you knew about single and double rails so I didnt bother mentioning it
m
0
l
July 5, 2014 10:59:09 AM

xTempered said:
Yea the single rail was also the other reason why I suggested it but I wasnt aware if you knew about single and double rails so I didnt bother mentioning it


Ah, then we are of like minds. :) 
m
0
l
!