PC wont turn on for more than 2 seconds

Hi, my pc is my first custom built pc
I received my i5-4670k today. And before I had my prossecor I could turn the pc on and everything would work fine and run. When I installed my cpu I push the power button and everything comes for 2 seconds then everything turns off. When I first installed the cpu I didn't use thermal paste And tried to turn it on then I realized you needed thermal paste and I reinstalled it. Also is a cpu power cable different from MoBo cable ? It's just when I put my cpu in it won't run for more than 2 secs
12 answers Last reply
More about wont turn seconds
  1. Your CPU power cable is different than the 24 pin power cable. I'm guessing you don't have that plugged in. I would watch a how to build a PC tutorial before you damage your PC if I were you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

    OR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q8ksRI1Eo
  2. bad choice turning on the pc without a heat sink on the cpu........ may have borked it...............

    what hardware do you have?
  3. Specs
    CPU: i5- 4670k
    MoBo: Msi z97 gaming 7
    Ram: corsair vengeance 16GB
    PSU: corsair HX1000
    GPU: R9 290
    And idk if I do or not ? I just put cpu in socket and plug heatsink fan in nothing else
  4. BJJ_warrior said:
    Specs
    CPU: i5- 4670k
    MoBo: Msi z97 gaming 7
    Ram: corsair vengeance 16GB
    PSU: corsair HX1000
    GPU: R9 290
    And idk if I do or not ? I just put cpu in socket and plug heatsink fan in nothing else


    Look in the top left of your motherboard. Do you see a place where an 8 pin connector could be plugged into? If there is nothing plugged in, find the cable for you PSU, which should be one of the two that came attached to your PSU, and plug it in.

    Honestly, if you don't know how to build a computer, then you should not build one. You can kill components just by touching them if you don't know what you are doing. Watch the videos that I put in my answer.
  5. Ok thank you. And yes I should've done more research it says jpwr2 under it
  6. The 8 pin cable doesnt fit.
  7. BJJ_warrior said:
    Ok thank you. And yes I should've done more research it says jpwr2 under it


    I don't mean to discourage you from building a PC, but I have know people to shock their motherboard because they were not wearing/using any anti static equipment. When I first built a PC for myself, I put WAAAAAAAAAY too much thermal paste on, which caused not so great temperatures. My friend didn't screw his heat sink in tight enough, and he was overheating his PC. First time building is an adventure, but one that costs a lot if you mess up.
  8. Ok thanks. And the 8 pin cables do not fit
  9. it only goes in one way. flip it around. ( that's the 8pin up by the cpu )............ you're not trying to plug an 8pin pci-e plug into it are you?
  10. BJJ_warrior said:
    The 8 pin cable doesnt fit.


    swifty_morgan said:
    it only goes in one way. flip it around. ( that's the 8pin up by the cpu )............ you're not trying to plug an 8pin pci-e plug into it are you?


    What do you mean it doesn't fit? It has to be able to fit. Maybe you are putting it in wrong. You are using the smaller of the two cable that came built into your PSU right? As swifty_morgan said, make sure you are not using a cable such as the one that powers your graphics card.
  11. TheMagicalWallaby said:
    BJJ_warrior said:
    The 8 pin cable doesnt fit.


    swifty_morgan said:
    it only goes in one way. flip it around. ( that's the 8pin up by the cpu )............ you're not trying to plug an 8pin pci-e plug into it are you?


    What do you mean it doesn't fit? It has to be able to fit. Maybe you are putting it in wrong. You are using the smaller of the two cable that came built into your PSU, not the type that would go into your graphics card right?


    didn't I just get dome saying that?
  12. swifty_morgan said:
    TheMagicalWallaby said:
    BJJ_warrior said:
    The 8 pin cable doesnt fit.


    swifty_morgan said:
    it only goes in one way. flip it around. ( that's the 8pin up by the cpu )............ you're not trying to plug an 8pin pci-e plug into it are you?


    What do you mean it doesn't fit? It has to be able to fit. Maybe you are putting it in wrong. You are using the smaller of the two cable that came built into your PSU, not the type that would go into your graphics card right?


    didn't I just get dome saying that?


    Oh whoops, I meant to update that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Thermal Compound CPUs Power Intel i5