Solved

Compatibility issues between EVGA power supplies and Gigabyte motherboards.

So, I've been reading a lot about the EVGA G2 750w Gold Plus PSU, which I'm very interested in, and I have been planning on buying a Gigabyte Z97 or H97 motherboard. My concern is, I've been seeing around the web that people have been having issues with EVGA PSUs not working with Gigabyte and MSI motherboards. Is this still a known issue?

I emailed EVGA support to ask, and they said it's not. I'm somewhat inclined to trust them, but I also am afraid that they're just saying that to make a sale.
Should I consider purchasing another motherboard to be safe or should they work together at this point?

Thank you for your time.
39 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility issues evga power supplies gigabyte motherboards
  1. I'm not aware of any compatibility issues
  2. First time I have seen compatibility issue mention and I do read a lot on this and other forums.
  3. rolli59 said:
    First time I have seen compatibility issue mention and I do read a lot on this and other forums.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1691144/weird-psu-problem.html

    Here is one, although it doesn't directly state that the motherboard is the issue. I like both of these components, they both seem to be highly regarded, and I'd like to add a Gigabyte motherboard to my build, but am worried now.

    http://www.amazon.com/review/R37HZDFV63OFYL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009YC3EAI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

    This one suggests that only Z77s have an issue, the Z87s had issues but they fixed them I guess. I wonder if the Z97s are fine then.. I could go for an Asus motherboard, but they're pricier. What do you like for Z97s?
    I was looking at one Asus, with 29 reviews, which is a ton for this new motherboard series, and all of the most recent reviews were one egg with DOA issues... Kinda weird.
  4. stickmansam said:
    I'm not aware of any compatibility issues


    That's good, reassuring anyway. Would you consider buying an EVGA PSU if you were buying new parts?
  5. I have 4 EVGA PSUs running in MSI, ASUS and gigabyte builds :P
  6. stickmansam said:
    I have 4 EVGA PSUs running in MSI, ASUS and gigabyte builds :P


    Seriously? So, you like EVGA PSUs I take it then haha. So, when you say builds with those companies, you mean with their motherboards right?
    Also, do you have any EVGA Supernova Gs or G2s?

    How is EVGA's customer support?
  7. usually go with the more budget EVGA ones :P

    and yes those are the motherboards
  8. stickmansam said:
    usually go with the more budget EVGA ones :P

    and yes those are the motherboards


    What is the G2 considered, not budget? Good, glad there no more issues. Which motherboards do you like best out of your various builds?
  9. Best answer
    I have purchase 2 850W G2'S and getting a 1200w P2 this week.
  10. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    I have purchase 2 850W G2'S and getting a 1200w P2 this week.


    Hey! Thanks for stopping by!

    So you can vouch personally for them? I don't suppose you use a Gigabyte or MSI motherboard at all?
  11. No I USE ASUS .

    I can vouch that the 2 that own the 850's are the best I've ever owned.
  12. I've used ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI

    I like the MSI bios the most, ASUS features the most and Gigabyte reliability/other features
  13. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    No I USE ASUS .

    I can vouch that the 2 that own the 850's are the best I've ever owned.


    I've been looking at an Asus Z97 too. Great, I'm pretty sure I want one of the 750s. 850 is a bit too much power for me though.
  14. stickmansam said:
    I've used ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI

    I like the MSI bios the most, ASUS features the most and Gigabyte reliability/other features


    Ahhh so they all have their own strengths. I like the reliability a lot, if that is the case, Gigabyte sounds like the best fit for me.
  15. Good luck with your choice!
  16. If only someone combined everything :P
  17. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Good luck with your choice!


    Thank you, you bet I'll post here how it goes... And if I have trouble, this'll be my first stop for help.
  18. stickmansam said:
    If only someone combined everything :P


    That would be too good to be true haha. Still, I like a company who focuses on reliability. Which is your favorite motherboard manufacturer?
  19. I tend to use the 3 I mentioned above as well as recommending AsRock

    Gigabyte has the lowest return rates
    ASUS has some of the better features
    MSI has the most friendly bios in my mind
    AsRock is good for bang per buck

    I use MSI the most personally since I am a 30min drive from one of their RMA centres so if something goes wrong, it''s a lot easier for me than having to ship stuff across the country

    Basically, I would choose a set of features you want to have, consider the pricing from all the brands for that feature set and then consider reliability

    Return rates are all below 3% afaik, with Gigabyte around 1%, ASUS a bit higher, and MSI/AsRock a bit behind that
  20. stickmansam said:
    I tend to use the 3 I mentioned above as well as recommending AsRock

    Gigabyte has the lowest return rates
    ASUS has some of the better features
    MSI has the most friendly bios in my mind
    AsRock is good for bang per buck

    I use MSI the most personally since I am a 30min drive from one of their RMA centres so if something goes wrong, it''s a lot easier for me than having to ship stuff across the country

    Basically, I would choose a set of features you want to have, consider the pricing from all the brands for that feature set and then consider reliability

    Return rates are all below 3% afaik, with Gigabyte around 1%, ASUS a bit higher, and MSI/AsRock a bit behind that


    Low return rates are good, I'm afraid to build the PC... Let alone take it apart to return the motherboard, basically the heart of the rig lmao.

    I've heard excellent things about Asus, but I doubt I'd make much use of their features.

    A user friendly BIOS would be very nice, especially for a noob.

    I've looked at AsRock too, and have one in mind. They seem good and a lot of people like them.

    So, obviously the vast majority don't write reviews after a purchase, but where do you find these return rate stats? Less than 1% is amazing, hell, less than 3% is stellar!

    I'm not sure what kinds of features mobos have, as long as I can SLI down the road and overclock if I decide to do it someday, and as long as there is built in LAN and audio, I am happy. Other than those things, I need at least 2 SATA/6GBs for an HDD and optical drive, and a few USB points for a mouse, keyboard, headset, and I guess maybe speakers. Otherwise, reliability, quality, and functionality are most important to me. Also, heatsinks that don't block the potential addition of an aftermarket cooler would be nice.

    Also, I love your picture of the Master Chief. I'm guessing you game on Xbox as well as PC?
  21. Europe, the vendor handles all the returns and a major vendor published the return rates for motherboard, Hardware.FR I think

    Z87 and H97 will have all the SATA + LAN + Audio you need, just gotta find SLI on them

    I only have PC and hearken back to the days of Halo and Halo 2 XD though I did play 3 and 4 on my friends Xbox :P
  22. stickmansam said:
    Europe, the vendor handles all the returns and a major vendor published the return rates for motherboard, Hardware.FR I think

    Z87 and H97 will have all the SATA + LAN + Audio you need, just gotta find SLI on them

    I only have PC and hearken back to the days of Halo and Halo 2 XD though I did play 3 and 4 on my friends Xbox :P


    Ah yes! Hardware.Fr has posted other interesting statistics too!

    Wait, some H97s will support SLI? I'm somewhat inclined to go with a Gigabyte GA-Z97x SLI because it's only $30 more than their H97.

    Ahhh, so you're a PC gamer through and through. I look forward to joining the ranks of the PC gamers. I like to tease my friends about how I'm joining the PC Master Race and leaving them behind, as peasants lmao. All in good fun, of course.
  23. Gigabyte GA-Z97x SLI < Decent board for the price.
  24. SLI is the Z series domain
    Given how pricing is these days I'll rather up spend a bit to get the UD3H or Gaming 3 (prefer the UD3H)
    MIS has options there too

    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=99&l=2&sort=a8
  25. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x SLI < Decent board for the price.


    So it's worth its price? I was also thinking of the GA. G1 Sniper Z97, it's about $30 more, but seems good. It has some features I'd likely never use. Should I go for the GA Z97x SLI?
  26. stickmansam said:
    SLI is the Z series domain
    Given how pricing is these days I'll rather up spend a bit to get the UD3H or Gaming 3 (prefer the UD3H)
    MIS has options there too

    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=99&l=2&sort=a8


    Because pricing does dictate quality to some degree? That does look like a nice motherboard, I'll read up on it. I was initially going to buy the MSI Gaming 5, but something changed my mind... I can't remember what haha.
  27. UD3H is best choice imo out of the 3 gigabyte baords, Gaming 3 isn;t bad but dosen;t look as good :P
  28. stickmansam said:
    UD3H is best choice imo out of the 3 gigabyte baords, Gaming 3 isn;t bad but dosen;t look as good :P


    I'm guessing Newegg reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt then, eh? The reviews for the UD3H are ok but they rock for the Sniper... But a lot of people say the reviews from users on Newegg are usually clueless. I don't know whether that's true or not, do you have the UD3H?
  29. The Sniper is in another price range all together :P

    It's compared to the UD5H,and the Gaming 7
    Each of the 3 have their own special thing (Sniper has the best audio but lacks SATA Express and M.2)(Gaming 7 has the M.2, PCIE, SATA-E, gold connectors and still good audio)(UD3H has the beast heatinks, VRM and dual LAN)

    I've had experience with the Z77 and Z87 UD3H
  30. stickmansam said:
    The Sniper is in another price range all together :P

    It's compared to the UD5H,and the Gaming 7
    Each of the 3 have their own special thing (Sniper has the best audio but lacks SATA Express and M.2)(Gaming 7 has the M.2, PCIE, SATA-E, gold connectors and still good audio)(UD3H has the beast heatinks, VRM and dual LAN)

    I've had experience with the Z77 and Z87 UD3H


    So you like the UD3H? Heatsinks are important... They work well? I dunno much about any of the other things lmao. Do I even need SATA Express or M.2?
  31. whats your price range for a motherboard though?

    Gaming 5/UD3H is one price segment

    Gaming 7/ Sniper/UD5H is another

    SATA Express is more for future SSDs and so is M.2
    If you don't really care about fast SSDs, then you don't need them
  32. stickmansam said:
    whats your price range for a motherboard though?

    Gaming 5/UD3H is one price segment

    Gaming 7/ Sniper/UD5H is another

    SATA Express is more for future SSDs and so is M.2
    If you don't really care about fast SSDs, then you don't need them


    I guess $100-$200 Canadian. The Sniper is $189.99 CAD, on sale for $179 or something. Originally I was going for a Gigabyte H97 priced at $110, then upped it to the Z97 SLI so I could SLI and maybe OC down the road. Now you're making me wonder if the next level up or even the Sniper should be considered xD. I'm so indecisive lmao.
    I guess I just want high quality core components, so the PSU and Mobo, also a good CPU.

    Like, I want high quality, good parts, but I don't want to overpay for something I'll never use. I just want to game, not much more lmao. I may also learn to code a bit, it seems fun and super useful. Anyway, I want a good motherboard, but I doubt I'll use most of the Sniper's features or especially the UDH5's features.
    I'm not buying an SSD, I may think about it someday, but not now.

    I'm somewhat inclined to still go for the H97, because I don't know whether I'll ever use the SLI function, or the OC capabilities. Also, I'm completely new to this, this'll be my first build, ever. So.... I doubt I'll play around much, for fear of screwing something up. Basically, a good quality, stable board, a 97 series, and LAN and onboard audio would all be what I need I guess.

    Then again.... The GA-Z97X SLI board is only $30 more..... Gah! Such a minor difference, and then the price jumps are still only $30 above that one. I can't decide lmao. Is the GA-Z97X SLI not very good as far as Z97s go? Like is it low quality or garbage?
  33. what cpu are you planning to get?

    if you're not going to SLI or CFX, not going to OC, not going to use M.2/Sata-E or use extra pcie x16 slots, you don't really need a Z series board

    For Canada, only ASUS and MSI have rma facilities in Canada, everyone else is ship to California usually
  34. stickmansam said:
    what cpu are you planning to get?

    if you're not going to SLI or CFX, not going to OC, not going to use M.2/Sata-E or use extra pcie x16 slots, you don't really need a Z series board

    For Canada, only ASUS and MSI have rma facilities in Canada, everyone else is ship to California usually


    I was hoping to have the option to SLI or CFX someday. No guarantees I'd ever use it, but I like to have the option. OCing is less likely, but not a definite no.

    Wow.... That would likely have a huge impact on RMA times eh? Asus or MSI for motherboards, who do you recommend?
  35. RMA times should be at least 1-2 days shorter and you don't have to deal with customs dues, international shipping and potential duties/taxes

    MSI has 1 facility in Ontario and 1 in Vancouver

    ASUS has one in Ontario

    ASUS has the lower rma rates so I suggest them unless you live in BC
    Honestly I've had ASUS and MSI motherboards fail on me before

    ASUS choice
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a

    MSI Choice
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming
  36. stickmansam said:
    RMA times should be at least 1-2 days shorter and you don't have to deal with customs dues, international shipping and potential duties/taxes

    MSI has 1 facility in Ontario and 1 in Vancouver

    ASUS has one in Ontario

    ASUS has the lower rma rates so I suggest them unless you live in BC
    Honestly I've had ASUS and MSI motherboards fail on me before

    ASUS choice
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a

    MSI Choice
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming


    I ended up ordering the Asus Z97-A, this answer helped with that decision. But, do you like Asus for motherboards?
  37. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Good luck with your choice!


    I ended up going with the Asus Z97-A
  38. I like ASUS :) bios is a bit convoluted but quality and reliability and features are great
  39. stickmansam said:
    I like ASUS :) bios is a bit convoluted but quality and reliability and features are great


    Great, I'm glad you think so :).
Ask a new question

Read More

EVGA Power Supplies Motherboards Gigabyte Compatibility