Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Where's the bottleneck?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Motherboards
  • GPUs
  • Bottleneck
  • New Build
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 6, 2014 2:12:51 AM

Hi guys,

Just wondered if there is an obvious bottleneck on here?

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690

Mobo - Asus H97 Plus

GPU - MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB

RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600

PSU - SeaSonic S12II 620W


First build so all opinions (good and bad) are welcome.

More about : bottleneck

a c 161 à CPUs
a c 174 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 2:18:31 AM

There are no noticeable bottlenecks.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 913 à CPUs
a c 1184 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 2:20:09 AM

None, good build!
Share
Related resources
July 6, 2014 2:27:02 AM

Thanks guys... just realised I forgot to include the following:

I have an old WD Blue Caviar 320GB hard drive and a Sony CD/DVD Rewritable... both IDE.

Presumably these are the items that's I'd need to look to upgrade first ... but are they essential just yet?

Thanks again!
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 174 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 2:30:34 AM

IDE is very old and those drives are slow. While not urgent to upgrade, I do highly recommend it.
m
0
l
a c 913 à CPUs
a c 1184 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 2:58:52 AM

Skaggaranx said:
Thanks guys... just realised I forgot to include the following:

I have an old WD Blue Caviar 320GB hard drive and a Sony CD/DVD Rewritable... both IDE.

Presumably these are the items that's I'd need to look to upgrade first ... but are they essential just yet?

Thanks again!


Most modern Motherboards, if not all, have done away with the IDE connectors so I suggest buying new drives.
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 3:00:59 AM

ksham said:
IDE is very old and those drives are slow. While not urgent to upgrade, I do highly recommend it.


IDE --> SATA conversion is easy enough though right?
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 174 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 3:02:24 AM

Skaggaranx said:
IDE --> SATA conversion is easy enough though right?

It will work but it'll still be slow and I don't recommend it.
m
0
l
a c 913 à CPUs
a c 1184 V Motherboard
July 6, 2014 3:08:33 AM

Skaggaranx said:
ksham said:
IDE is very old and those drives are slow. While not urgent to upgrade, I do highly recommend it.


IDE --> SATA conversion is easy enough though right?


It is but costs almost as much as a optical drive and the HDD will be much slower than current drives.
m
0
l
July 7, 2014 8:52:34 AM

OMG, not trying to be rude. But using a single IDE disk today is like putting coal in the gastank of your car.

Not even a single sata 3 disk have a chance to supply the memory fast enough.

I freak out whenever I have to work on computers with single sata3 drives.

HDD's have been the bottleneck in 90% of systems built for a decade.

Get one SSD for OS and 2 HDDS for all else and set the HDD's in raid 0

It has no redundancy, but you have none today either. It will boost your performance more than you can imagine.

On my system I boot Win 7 in under 10 sec. and I just have a I5-2500K CPU. Bet your system use over a minute.
m
0
l
July 7, 2014 1:25:52 PM

Butters_76 said:
OMG, not trying to be rude. But using a single IDE disk today is like putting coal in the gastank of your car.

Not even a single sata 3 disk have a chance to supply the memory fast enough.

I freak out whenever I have to work on computers with single sata3 drives.

HDD's have been the bottleneck in 90% of systems built for a decade.

Get one SSD for OS and 2 HDDS for all else and set the HDD's in raid 0

It has no redundancy, but you have none today either. It will boost your performance more than you can imagine.

On my system I boot Win 7 in under 10 sec. and I just have a I5-2500K CPU. Bet your system use over a minute.


I'm a patient guy who has no use for an SSD and two HDDs. So I won't be investing in those, but I gladly take your point.
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 174 V Motherboard
July 7, 2014 2:13:24 PM

Skaggaranx said:
I'm a patient guy who has no use for an SSD and two HDDs. So I won't be investing in those, but I gladly take your point.

If you are building a computer with a R9 280, then I'm assuming that you'll be gaming. If you don't mind waiting a long, long time for some maps to load, then it's fine, otherwise I would suggest getting a SATA HDD.
m
0
l
!