Solved

Need help with getting a 3rd router to work on a network

Hello all,

I currently have the following setup:

NETGEAR Router - This is connecting to my ISP with Wireless Disabled and DHCP Enabled. IP is 192.168.1.1

ASUS Router 1 - Wireless Channel 6, and DHCP Disabled. IP is 192.168.1.2
ASUS Router 2 - Wireless Channel 11 and DHCP Disabled. IP is 192.168.1.3
Both routers have the same SSID.

When I connect to the wireless network for ASUS Router 1 - Internet works fine and Computers/Mobiles are automatically getting an IP from the DHCP on Netgear.

When I connect to the wireless network for ASUS Router 2 - Internet does not work, you cannot ping the netgear router or asus router 1. I connected an ethernet cable from the netgear router to ASUS 2, the same setup and configuration as ASUS 2 - I removed this cable and plugged directly into a laptop and the internet works.

Am I missing something fundamental here? Thank you for help guys!!

Just to add if I set DHCP on ASUS Router to 192.168.2.1 then the internet works, but when I walk out of range of ASUS Router2 and into range of ASUS Router1 it doesn't automatically keep the connection, you have to disconnect and reconnect and it will then get the gatewayfrom ASUS Router 1 192.168.1.x I really want it so theyre all on the same DHCP, and if I walk out of range of one router then the other router automatically picks it up and keeps the connection.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3rd router work network
  1. are you connecting ASUS2 via the WAN or LAN port to the Netgear?
  2. Emerald said:
    are you connecting ASUS2 via the WAN or LAN port to the Netgear?


    ASUS Router #1 and ASUS Router#2 are connected both to the Ethernet WAN Port with the setting Ethernet Enabled and on.
  3. The reason Emerald asked that question is because when you use a router in AP mode you should have the DHCP turned off and connect from your Primary router LAN port to a LAN port on your WAP, not its WAN port. Its WAN port will not be used. Only the WAN port on your primary router (the one connected to the internet) should be used. If this fixes your problem please mark Emerald's post as the solution. Thanks.
    As a side note some routers can be put in bridge mode where you can connect like you have it but that is not recommended because you loose hardware acceleration on the WAN port. Best to not use the WAN ports on your routers in AP mode.
  4. abailey said:
    The reason Emerald asked that question is because when you use a router in AP mode you should have the DHCP turned off and connect from your Primary router LAN port to a LAN port on your WAP, not its WAN port. Its WAN port will not be used. Only the WAN port on your primary router (the one connected to the internet) should be used. If this fixes your problem please mark Emerald's post as the solution. Thanks.
    As a side note some routers can be put in bridge mode where you can connect like you have it but that is not recommended because you loose hardware acceleration on the WAN port. Best to not use the WAN ports on your routers in AP mode.


    Thanks for the advice! Am I to assume that if I change from the WAN to LAN that I can set the DHCP on Netgear and any client who connects to ASUS ROUTER#1 and #2 will be on the same DHCP 192.168.1.x and if they walk out of range of one, the other will continue the wireless? Thanks!
  5. Best answer
    Woody DuWitt LOL said:
    abailey said:
    The reason Emerald asked that question is because when you use a router in AP mode you should have the DHCP turned off and connect from your Primary router LAN port to a LAN port on your WAP, not its WAN port. Its WAN port will not be used. Only the WAN port on your primary router (the one connected to the internet) should be used. If this fixes your problem please mark Emerald's post as the solution. Thanks.
    As a side note some routers can be put in bridge mode where you can connect like you have it but that is not recommended because you loose hardware acceleration on the WAN port. Best to not use the WAN ports on your routers in AP mode.


    Thanks for the advice! Am I to assume that if I change from the WAN to LAN that I can set the DHCP on Netgear and any client who connects to ASUS ROUTER#1 and #2 will be on the same DHCP 192.168.1.x and if they walk out of range of one, the other will continue the wireless? Thanks!



    Yes that is correct.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Routers Internet Service Providers Netgear Wireless Network