R7 250 and 385psu

Hlias Anton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
hello guys, i am thinking to upgrade my old pc with a better vga.
atm i have a geforce 9600gt and i am thinking to buy a Sapphire R7 250 1GB GD5 Boost.

i have an old(4 years) and i think bad quality psu the HEC-385wa-ptz 385watt +12v1/10A +12v2/15a.
the rest of my pc comps are dual core E8500 and 4gb RAM.
so do you think that new GPU will be ok with that psu, or the pc will not even start?

The R7-250 recommended PSU requirement is 400W and I think 18A on the 12V rail/s. The recommended wattage for the 9600 is in the same ballpark (400-450W) but has a higher amp requirement (26A?). If your PSU powered the 9600GT without issues, you'll probably be fine.

That being said, if you're going to continue upgrading and have the money, you should consider bumping up to a larger, higher quality PSU.

Hlias Anton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Well i took the new GPU but seems that doesnt work! I test it in other pc GPU is fine, but on my pc dont work. Any idea why? i guess is the PSU but like you said above my old GPU that works needs more power than the new 1. There is any chance to have another problem?

Is your PC running, but the GPU is not? Or is the whole thing shutting down? What kind of motherboard do you have?

Hlias Anton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
yes the pc running normal,gpu fan work also. i can take signal on display with the onboard vga.
my mobo is an AsRock conroe 1333-d667.
I just try to be sure that is my psu the problem, i dont want to spend more and still to have same problem!

i cant think something else, maybe the mobo dont give enough power on pci?

I think you can safely rule out the PSU as the problem for now, although you're not home free yet - if you can get it all working, if your system shuts down when you really stress the card you'll know the PSU is inadequate. I think you're okay though as far as power goes.

These steps that can eliminate more common problems:
-Make sure all of your drivers and BIOS are up to date
-Uninstall any GPU drivers currently on your system, then reinstall the R7 drivers
-Remove and re-seat the GPU (with power disconnected)
-Re-connect power and reboot to BIOS
- Go to your graphics settings and ensure PEG or PEG/IGD is selected
- Exit to boot

If you do all these steps and it still doesn't work, we'll try a different angle of attack.

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
The 4 pin of the 24 pin is primarily for graphics card if I recall correctly. The best would have been to get a video card with a PCI-E 6 pin connection and a new power supply.

If the GPU is functional then it is the power supply since my power supply had degraded over time powering a GT 240 so it reverted to the onboard video, but the GT 240 was completely operational in other computers.

The CX430 is $20 after rebate www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026 There is a 10% off coupon (MASTERPASS23) if you sign up for and check out with a masterpass account that will take $4 off of the price making it $36 with a $20 rebate. Corsair rebates are really really fast.

So, did it work? I'm not a big fan of buying new parts to fix a problem that hasn't been fully diagnosed - if it works, then great, but if it doesn't then you just wasted money possibly (I say again, possibly) eliminating a single possible cause of failure. In your case, upgrading PSUs is probably a good choice anyway, but if it fixed the problem, let us know so we can add it as a point of reference for future use.