Solved

Noob needs help! check my build and critique.

Hey guys, brand new to this. I have never built a computer and I'm upgrading from my 2010 hp pavilion slimline. I decided to build my first computer, and I set a $400 budget, but I went overboard already. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section, as this is my first time on this website. Feel free to move it admins. I was just looking for you guys to pick apart my build, and let me know what you think should be done differently, as I'm a newb and I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

I will only be using to do everyday tasks such as, internet, stream netflix, word, itunes, and some starcraft playing. Maybe some other games if I let computers take over my life.
My build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cssH8d

AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor - $99.98
Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler - $57.99
Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard - $44.98
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $79.99
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $129.99
NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case - $44.99
Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $64.99
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer - $16.98
Syba SD-VIA-5U 5-port (4+1) USB 2.0 PCI Card, VIA Chip - $8.99

est. watt - 190w Total price - $550

Like I said, feel free to judge or flame, just give me the positive criticism also! thanks again.
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about noob check build critique
  1. You wouldn't need a liquid cooler for what you are using the computer for and no ssd would be needed either. I would reccomend getting a 1tb hard drive instead of ssd. Also maybe consider a a6 instead because that would be able to do the things you want plus more.
  2. Kwippy said:
    You wouldn't need a liquid cooler for what you are using the computer for and no ssd would be needed either. I would reccomend getting a 1tb hard drive instead of ssd. Also maybe consider a a6 instead because that would be able to do the things you want plus more.


    Is that just to bring the price down? I like the idea of overkill, incase I decided to advance in the future. I originally had a cooler master hyper 212 evo, and WD 1tb HHD, and that was right around $400, but I just figured i'd rather go big and not regret getting something. Also I am curious whether you guys think this case (NZXT source 220) is any good.
  3. Then its your choice but personally id go with the a10 instead of ssd if you want overkill for what you are using it for.
  4. Jaredivin said:
    Kwippy said:
    You wouldn't need a liquid cooler for what you are using the computer for and no ssd would be needed either. I would reccomend getting a 1tb hard drive instead of ssd. Also maybe consider a a6 instead because that would be able to do the things you want plus more.


    Is that just to bring the price down? I like the idea of overkill, incase I decided to advance in the future. I originally had a cooler master hyper 212 evo, and WD 1tb HHD, and that was right around $400, but I just figured i'd rather go big and not regret getting something. Also I am curious whether you guys think this case (NZXT source 220) is any good.


    The hyper is better for a first time build. If that liquid cooler pump fails, your processor will fry.
  5. Alec Mowat said:
    Jaredivin said:
    Kwippy said:
    You wouldn't need a liquid cooler for what you are using the computer for and no ssd would be needed either. I would reccomend getting a 1tb hard drive instead of ssd. Also maybe consider a a6 instead because that would be able to do the things you want plus more.


    Is that just to bring the price down? I like the idea of overkill, incase I decided to advance in the future. I originally had a cooler master hyper 212 evo, and WD 1tb HHD, and that was right around $400, but I just figured i'd rather go big and not regret getting something. Also I am curious whether you guys think this case (NZXT source 220) is any good.


    The hyper is better for a first time build. If that liquid cooler pump fails, your processor will fry.


    out of curiosity, how noisy are they compared to a clc? I've had some systems that screamed (original xbox360) and it was almost louder then my game sound. I just fear something along the lines of that. Also I have a bad habit of leaving my computer on all the time, would that pose an issue?

    NOOB QUESTION: the cooler master hyper is the CPU cooler correct? so do i need other fans in the case other then the 2 provided (which i assume are both exhaust fans)
  6. Here's a better build and cheaper, a bit late for mixture with the colors there but it can be rearranged. Do you need a video card as well??

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.94 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Syba SD-VIA-5U 5-port (4+1) USB 2.0 PCI Card, VIA Chip ($8.99)
    Total: $511.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

    What is the max budget you can spare? So we could make an even better build..
  7. charmer said:
    Here's a better build and cheaper, a bit late for mixture with the colors there but it can be rearranged. Do you need a video card as well??

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.94 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Syba SD-VIA-5U 5-port (4+1) USB 2.0 PCI Card, VIA Chip ($8.99)
    Total: $511.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

    What is the max budget you can spare? So we could make an even better build..


    I really dont have a max budget, although I only need it for the needs stated. So im not building for playing crysis 3 for 16 straight hours, etc. (im assuming thats stressful on your computer) I guess I'd like to shoot for 550 and under just to conserve my pockets a bit.

    Does that cpu AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor have a intergrated GPU? otherwise that would change that build right?
  8. The noise comes from the fans, not the heatsink. You can replace the fans on any heatsink.

    The Coolermaster is OK. If you are concerned about noise, go with a Noctua.
  9. Here's a build that's gonna be really great and powerful, the CPU is a bit overkill but it's worth it in my opinion, I've added a graphic card as well because the CPU does not have one.
    In any case you could downgrade from the 8320 to the 6300 (from 8 cores to the 6 cores) and invest the remaining $ in the graphic card.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.69 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $565.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
  10. charmer said:
    Here's a build that's gonna be really great and powerful, the CPU is a bit overkill but it's worth it in my opinion, I've added a graphic card as well because the CPU does not have one.
    In any case you could downgrade from the 8320 to the 6300 (from 8 cores to the 6 cores) and invest the remaining $ in the graphic card.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.69 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $565.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


    i've read that having a SSD over a HHD increases speeds by as much as 50%, is that worth factoring in? I see that you eliminated that in order to make room for the video card and better cpu. Im not sure if its worth stating that I'll have a 1 tb external hard drive attached to my pc at all times more then likely.

    you also have no cpu cooler in that build, is that a factor? because that would seem to put me well over 550
  11. Jaredivin said:
    charmer said:
    Here's a build that's gonna be really great and powerful, the CPU is a bit overkill but it's worth it in my opinion, I've added a graphic card as well because the CPU does not have one.
    In any case you could downgrade from the 8320 to the 6300 (from 8 cores to the 6 cores) and invest the remaining $ in the graphic card.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.69 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $565.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


    i've read that having a SSD over a HHD increases speeds by as much as 50%, is that worth factoring in? I see that you eliminated that in order to make room for the video card and better cpu. Im not sure if its worth stating that I'll have a 1 tb external hard drive attached to my pc at all times more then likely.

    you also have no cpu cooler in that build, is that a factor? because that would seem to put me well over 550


    Just your loading times, but not frame rates in games. You also lose significant disk space going SSD.
  12. You should know that the CPU comes with a stock cooler, it's a bit loud if you're gonna stress the hell out of it, but nothing inconvenient. In any case you can always upgrade it in the future
  13. yeah, its just my first build some im extra cautious. I want to make sure im not just throwing away my money, and im getting a build worth something, and i definitely dont want to cook any of my internals. So I just want to make sure I get a solid build for minor gaming, streaming 1080p and lightning fast operating speed.
  14. Here is kind of an idea for what I would do, I would take out the processor,cooler, and motherboard. Then I would switch it to a locked i5, and a fairly basic motherboard. Then just stick with the i5 igp for a bit while you save up for something like a 270x or 760. I really don't like apu's like for something as basic as say an mmorpg you would get fairly good performance but for fps and games that use really good engines you will notice that apu starting to struggle a bit. So you would be looking at about $560-580 to start, and then $160-250 for the video card which will last you a lot longer.
  15. something like that is starting to get over my head though, ill only be playing games maybe 4 hours a week or so, and its pretty much going to be Starcraft 2, until someone else introduces me into a new game, (or i get gaming friends). So I dont know if i need that strong of a computer if im not gaming avidly.
  16. Starcraft will work better on something like an i3 and a 750 ti, starcraft 2 and wow are both benefit a lot from strong single core performance. You still would under 550 bucks. Like I have about 8 different computers, and one of them is my pretty much everyday use/wow computer that I only surf the web and play wow on, and I only used a low watt i7 that I bought for whatever reason but never really had any use for it, and a cheap 750 ti with a slight overclock. The system works amazing for d3, wow and starcraft. You would see similar performance if you used an i3. I just used the i7 because I had it laying around from another haswell project
  17. meh, i feel like if i change now to intel, my prices are all going to skyrocket compensating for the "fine dining" of the computer world.
  18. The i3 is slightly more expensive, but you won't need the extra cooler. So your total price would be around $500 bucks
  19. but i would need a different mobo and graphics card right?
  20. Graphics card have nothing to do with the CPU's, you can always get an Intel CPU and an AMD card for example.
    Now about all those i3 suggestions, Intel has a better core build when comparing cores 1on1, but please do not forget the i3 has 2 cores and AMD has 8 cores, you won't use them all at once it the near future for sure, but you will feel limited at some point.
    Another deal breaker is the fact that it can be over clocked as hell, if you will ever feel limited even by this 8 cores you can always get more, (I do suggest a better cooling the the stock one if you're OC). I've got my CPU up to 5.0 ghz and could go on but I didn't need to And it's not voiding the warranty!
    The last thing I'll mention is that if you can't spare or don't want to spend more money on this PC (550$) , you are in a sweet spot, have a decent CPU, a GPU, enough ram even for heavy gaming and a nice PSU to hold it all together and of course you can always upgrade the GPU in the future if needed.

    That's just my opinion of course, enjoy
  21. okay, i was just unsure of the socket's matching up. Im not 100% sure on how to overclock yet, but im sure i'll figure that out when the day comes. As of right now the only build i can get to be about $550 is the original build i did with the amd a8 6600k and no gpu, but still the SSD. If i try to get the set up you stated, it equates to http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xfdnyc and that makes it 630 before tax. The other build all from Amazon LLC which im assuming will be backed up with a good warranty and two day shipping is 570 after tax.
  22. Best answer
    Well how about the six core then? I did removed the Evo cooler because you have a stock cooler is de the CPU box and added a 240gb SSD, you can get a 120gb SSD for almost half the price.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.94 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Syba SD-VIA-5U 5-port (4+1) USB 2.0 PCI Card, VIA Chip ($8.99)
    Total: $555.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
  23. That should be fine but starcraft still runs better on intel than amd. The only other thing is if you go with the 6300 you need can't use the new fury ram, it only works on about 10% of the amd boards atm until they give out an update to make it more compatible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Build Components HP Pavilion