Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

I need a $350-$400 Gaming Build. I'm on a budget

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Optical Media
Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2014 5:13:09 PM

Only thing I have is the OS for my gaming pc. I don't need an optical drive.

I want my PC to be able to play ARMA 3 in high settings at a good frame rate.
This'll be my first gaming pc that I ever owned and the first pc that I ever built. I plan on upgrading my pc next year.

More about : 350 400 gaming build budget

July 6, 2014 5:19:22 PM

Unfortunately playing ARMA 3 at high settings won't be a reality at this low budget. An APU would be the best choice right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7700K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $407.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
a c 375 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:22:59 PM

you can start from this budget build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $372.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:24:42 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($34.69 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $377.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:25:58 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($34.69 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $385.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:26:27 PM

Jeremiah Fish said:
Unfortunately playing ARMA 3 at high settings won't be a reality at this low budget. An APU would be the best choice right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7700K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $407.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


For 20 $ more you could get much better graphics performance :
Athlon X4 750K at 80$ : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
AMD R7 250X 99$ at newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:35:47 PM

I think the best build would be this if the OP is willing to increase the budget
(there is an option get get cheaper z97 ($10 less) or use H81/H97/B85 Overclocking but that won't be guaranteed [http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h81iplus]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($139.20 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $487.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 5:48:29 PM

stickmansam said:
I think the best build would be this if the OP is willing to increase the budget
(there is an option get get cheaper z97 ($10 less) or use H81/H97/B85 Overclocking but that won't be guaranteed [http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h81iplus]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($139.20 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $487.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


My parents only gave me a certain amount of money that I could use. I can't get that build.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:50:27 PM

I would get this build then
for $5 more you get a slightly faster CPU, your call
ARMA 3 would likely play at medium settings with decent framrate
ARMA 3 tends to use more cores so the Athlon would do better than the Pentium (unless you OC Pentium but that is beyond your budget)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $402.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 5:50:59 PM

Jeremiah Fish said:
Unfortunately playing ARMA 3 at high settings won't be a reality at this low budget. An APU would be the best choice right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7700K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $407.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


How good will this build do for Arma 3 and BF4?
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 5:55:47 PM

stickmansam said:
I would get this build then
for $5 more you get a slightly faster CPU, your call
ARMA 3 would likely play at medium settings with decent framrate

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $402.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


What do you think of this: AMD A10-6800K Barebones Kit

I'll save up my remaining money which will be $90 and wait for the rebate to come back. Then I'll buy a GPU. Does that sound like a good idea?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:56:42 PM

current FPS should be bit better due to more optimized drivers as time goes on
Your CPU is about the A10 5700, but with lower settings, the fps for CPU would go up a bit as well (this was in Ultra)





m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 5:59:44 PM

that barebones kit looks about right I guess

you get a better CPU but lose out to w lower end chipset and ram is one stick (which is okay since not using APU graphics)
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 6:08:50 PM

stickmansam said:
that barebones kit looks about right I guess

you get a better CPU but lose out to w lower end chipset and ram is one stick (which is okay since not using APU graphics)


Is the CPU good enough for Arma 3 until I can get a GPU? I'm thinking about saving my remaining $90 and rebate which should give me about $120 which I will save until Christmas. I'll be able to afford a $200 GPU if I play everything right. Also what are w lower end chipsets? Does that mean I can't use certain GPU's?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 6:12:22 PM

it just lacks a few features like SATA 6gb/s (SATA 3), USB3, heatsink over the VRMs, less expansionability

my board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

kit board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

The CPU for the kit is a pretty nice one though
The integrated GPU will likely hit about 30-40ish fps at 1080p medium but thats with dual channel (2 sticks of ram). With the single stick they provide, performance will drop for sure
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 6:35:59 PM

stickmansam said:
it just lacks a few features like SATA 6gb/s (SATA 3), USB3, heatsink over the VRMs, less expansionability

my board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

kit board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

The CPU for the kit is a pretty nice one though
The integrated GPU will likely hit about 30-40ish fps at 1080p medium but thats with dual channel (2 sticks of ram). With the single stick they provide, performance will drop for sure


Since I'll have 90 dollars left I'm thinking I should get another stick of 4gb to increase it to 12GB of RAM. Do you think that'll get me really close to Ultra? If not what do you think?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2014 6:56:46 PM

ram won't get you to ultra, but a better GPU will and to a lesser extent, CPU

m
0
l
July 6, 2014 11:23:35 PM

stickmansam said:
ram won't get you to ultra, but a better GPU will and to a lesser extent, CPU



What do you think of this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TkLrRB
It has an onboard video card in the mobo and I can wait to game until I buy my GPU. Do you think I can get Ultra or Ultra w/ everything maxed with this build if I pair with a good GPU?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2014 12:07:01 AM

I think you should get this for your budget (except the GPU)
You can swap to the EVGA 500B if you want

Play with the APU only for the first bit till you can save up and buy a R9 270X (which can handle ultra no problem) [or cheaper R7 265 or R9 270]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.23 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $415.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

other option is this but it will be pretty painful playing on the integrated graphics (720p low only)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.23 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $415.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Share