120 hz monitor switches framerate automatically when a game is launched

korey321

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Ever since I bought my Benq XL2420TX monitors, I have not felt like I have actually been seeing true 120hz. I never noticed an increase in framerate like how I can when I see a 60-120fps gif or video. I have been messing with some of the settings recently and found something that my monitors have been doing when a game is launched.

I use the actual monitor menu buttons to navigate to a screen that shows "Current resolution" and "Optimal Resolution"

While at my desktop, both the current and optimal resolution are at 1920x1080@120hz, but as soon as I launch a game, the current resolution goes down to 1920x1080@60hz while the optimal stays at 1920x1080@120hz .

I have done some troubleshooting, such as double checking my DVI cables (they are dual link), I've checked numerous game settings, I have used different FPS counters which say that my games are running at 120 fps +, yet the screen menu still says 60 hz (suggesting that it IS a monitor problem and not something from within my computer), Nvidia settings and windows screen resolution settings, these are a bunch of troubleshooting methods that come to mind.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. I have already submitted a ticket to Benq support but I honestly don't expect them to be much help. I will soon find out but this community seemed more knowledgeable than the average technical support people.