R9 290 Viewing BIOS Issue

Grieva3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi,

Bit of a random one, not sure if anyone else has had the same issue.

Basically I used to be able to view my UEFI BIOS using my old GPU (Radeon HD6690), HDMI cable and Panasonic Plasma. I recently bought a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X GPU. Now when I boot my PC the screen just shows vertical, random coloured lines across my screen, until Windows loads up the user screen, then everything is normal.

This was happening on my old motherboard and now on my new ROG motherboard, which suggests it must be the GPU. But, just make things more confusing, I can view the BIOS no problem when I use a DVI cable with an old 21in TFT monitor I have. So it only happens when I use an HDMI cable to my TV.

Has anyone else encountered this? Or any suggestions on what might be causing it or a possible fix? Needless to say it's a pain in the arse having to lug out the old TFT every-time I need to get into the BIOS.

Cheers :)

Solution
Just in case any-one else runs into this same issue, I found the answer out after about 3 hours of Googleing !

Basically some TV's or AV Receivers can't display the resolution that UEFI BIOS's display at. That's the jist of it.

Unless there's a firmware fix at the mobo's end the only way to view the BIOS is to connect it to a different display that can display the resolution. Also the age of the TV doesn't make a difference, so don't think a newer TV will 100% work. I have a 2 year old Pany 50in Plasma which it doesn't display on, but it does on my 8 year old Samsung 40in LCD.

Anyways hope this helps :)

Grieva3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Just in case any-one else runs into this same issue, I found the answer out after about 3 hours of Googleing !

Basically some TV's or AV Receivers can't display the resolution that UEFI BIOS's display at. That's the jist of it.

Unless there's a firmware fix at the mobo's end the only way to view the BIOS is to connect it to a different display that can display the resolution. Also the age of the TV doesn't make a difference, so don't think a newer TV will 100% work. I have a 2 year old Pany 50in Plasma which it doesn't display on, but it does on my 8 year old Samsung 40in LCD.

Anyways hope this helps :)

Solution