Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Re-installing the windows , any way to save the updates ?

Tags:
  • Windows
  • Windows 8
  • Backup
Last response: in Windows 8
July 7, 2014 4:28:29 PM

Hello ,

So I'm gonna reinstall the windows , the problem is .. is there anyway to backup the windows updates and stuff like that so I don't have to redownload all of them again " my connection speed sucks " I know I can just download them from microsoft's site individually but I didn't do that .. so if there's no way to back them up now , maybe there's a way that I can download all of them packed or something and save them so I don't need to redownload every time I reinstall the windows ?

Thanks in advance

More about : installing windows save updates

a c 346 * Windows 8
July 8, 2014 4:43:26 PM

Not really, no. Even if you saved the folder they were originally cached into with the original installation files, it's improbable you could know exactly what order they should be installed in to avoid installation errors and other complications. The best thing to do, for the future, is get a good back program like Acronis True Image, or another similar app, do a clean install, do all the possible updates, and then save a disc image with only the clean windows installation and updates on it so the next time you decide to start fresh you already have a backup to restore from that will be an exact copy of your system at that point in time when you did it. As long as you don't make any hardware changes between the time you make the backup and and future restore date you should be fine and even if you do, so long as they are not major changes you're probably still ok.
Score
0
July 8, 2014 4:45:09 PM

nope

Score
0
Related resources
July 9, 2014 7:22:39 AM

darkbreeze said:
Not really, no. Even if you saved the folder they were originally cached into with the original installation files, it's improbable you could know exactly what order they should be installed in to avoid installation errors and other complications. The best thing to do, for the future, is get a good back program like Acronis True Image, or another similar app, do a clean install, do all the possible updates, and then save a disc image with only the clean windows installation and updates on it so the next time you decide to start fresh you already have a backup to restore from that will be an exact copy of your system at that point in time when you did it. As long as you don't make any hardware changes between the time you make the backup and and future restore date you should be fine and even if you do, so long as they are not major changes you're probably still ok.


Thanks but I don't understand everything , this means the windows will be with it's updates ? if so how can this be done on a DVD which only supports 4.7 gb ?

And why shouldn't I just do it now on my windows while having all the updates already installed ?

Score
0
July 9, 2014 7:23:21 AM

it doesnt come with updates u need to manually update the updates within windows after installation

Score
0
a c 1226 * Windows 8
July 9, 2014 7:36:38 AM

TheProKiller said:


Thanks but I don't understand everything , this means the windows will be with it's updates ? if so how can this be done on a DVD which only supports 4.7 gb ?

And why shouldn't I just do it now on my windows while having all the updates already installed ?



You can't retrieve already installed updates, and apply them to a new install.
Score
0
July 9, 2014 7:43:12 AM

yep. the only ones that come with pre-installed updates are the non legal type versions of windows.

retail copys dont come with updates sorry bud

Score
0
July 9, 2014 8:58:04 AM

This is both not possible, and possible at the same time. Let me explain.

No, you cannot retrieve the updates from your installation of Windows. Well, depends on your version of Windows.

There are 2 options that I am aware of:

Option #1, if you are using an OS prior to Windows 8, then you can download a utility that will allow you to use your original install disc, and it will extract what is needed from your current running OS to allow you to include all updates you've done so far, as well as Service Packs, etc., and create your own streamlined, auto-install disc that will also include your product key (automatically entered for you), and all the drivers for the hardware you currently have installed, if you choose to set it up that way. There are separate utilities for XP and Vista/7. There may be one for 8, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check. 8 re-installs itself pretty nicely without too much issue, though. The one for Vista/7 is called rt-7-lite, I believe.

Option #2 is to get the updates installed by using WSUS Offline Update, which allows you to have all your needed updates burned to a DVD or USB flash drive, and they can be installed from there. The tricky part of this is, you have to download the updates.

However, you don't have to go in an pick and choose updates to do this. You can select your operating system, whether or not you want MS Office included in the updates, etc., and download them all for placing on offline media for streamlining the updates later.

The WSUS Offline Update software will automatically scan your Windows installation and determine what updates are needed, just like the built-in Windows Update feature, and then it will install those updates.

Do a web search for WSUS Offline Update at the site afterdawn.com and you should find what you're looking for.

The downside is that you have to have a good internet connection to get these updates downloaded the first time. You can do like I do and take your laptop, borrow a laptop, whatever, and go to a place that has good WiFi, or go to a friends house and use their broadband and their computer, something.

The Offline Update is generally updated once a month or so, as far as I can recall. I just used it this week to re-install XP on someone's laptop, and Vista on someone else's machine. Nice tool to have on hand when you help people fix their machines.

Score
0
July 10, 2014 5:56:20 AM

rhapdog said:
This is both not possible, and possible at the same time. Let me explain.

No, you cannot retrieve the updates from your installation of Windows. Well, depends on your version of Windows.

There are 2 options that I am aware of:

Option #1, if you are using an OS prior to Windows 8, then you can download a utility that will allow you to use your original install disc, and it will extract what is needed from your current running OS to allow you to include all updates you've done so far, as well as Service Packs, etc., and create your own streamlined, auto-install disc that will also include your product key (automatically entered for you), and all the drivers for the hardware you currently have installed, if you choose to set it up that way. There are separate utilities for XP and Vista/7. There may be one for 8, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check. 8 re-installs itself pretty nicely without too much issue, though. The one for Vista/7 is called rt-7-lite, I believe.

Option #2 is to get the updates installed by using WSUS Offline Update, which allows you to have all your needed updates burned to a DVD or USB flash drive, and they can be installed from there. The tricky part of this is, you have to download the updates.

However, you don't have to go in an pick and choose updates to do this. You can select your operating system, whether or not you want MS Office included in the updates, etc., and download them all for placing on offline media for streamlining the updates later.

The WSUS Offline Update software will automatically scan your Windows installation and determine what updates are needed, just like the built-in Windows Update feature, and then it will install those updates.

Do a web search for WSUS Offline Update at the site afterdawn.com and you should find what you're looking for.

The downside is that you have to have a good internet connection to get these updates downloaded the first time. You can do like I do and take your laptop, borrow a laptop, whatever, and go to a place that has good WiFi, or go to a friends house and use their broadband and their computer, something.

The Offline Update is generally updated once a month or so, as far as I can recall. I just used it this week to re-install XP on someone's laptop, and Vista on someone else's machine. Nice tool to have on hand when you help people fix their machines.



My windows is 8 Pro and it's just a digital code I bought online , I installed it through here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-pr...
" I've windows 8.1 right now and gonna re-install 8 pro and start all the updates,upgrading to 8.1 and so "

I didn't get what you mean sadly :\ it's a bit complicated but thanks anyway
Score
0
a c 346 * Windows 8
July 10, 2014 9:04:32 AM

ProKiller, where you are located, do you have a fairly fast internet connection or are you somewhere that for whatever reason you're still on dial up or a slow level of dsl?
Score
0
July 10, 2014 10:31:05 AM

  1.  
darkbreeze said:
ProKiller, where you are located, do you have a fairly fast internet connection or are you somewhere that for whatever reason you're still on dial up or a slow level of dsl?


Yes my connection speed sucks , I'm from Syria :\
Score
0
a c 346 * Windows 8
July 10, 2014 3:24:26 PM

Really? At the risk of offending anybody I'd say sorry to hear that, just because I know it's a dangerous stressful time there right now. So I understand about the downloading of the updates now and why it's such a hassle and time investment. Unfortunately though, as I said before, there is no way I know of save the updates for later installation after a clean install. However, and I make no promises as to the success you'll have with this but if you go to windows\software distribution\downloads you will find the cached folders for many installations including windows update. Each folder, which will have names like 1d4f0979f83eb471c91970e8f1bae405 or similar names, will contain .cab files that are windows cabinet files used for installation of updates and patches. If you save all these to disc and then by process of trial and error install as many of them as you are able you may at least minimize the number of updates you have to download. I don't recommend this as an option if you want a smooth clean new installation, but I've done it before in situations similar to yours. If you are technically able to wade through there and get what you need you might save yourself some time. It really would be better to download them in the correct order though. Good luck to you.
Score
0
December 8, 2015 5:12:48 PM

For anyone referencing this question and multiple answers. The only correct answer so far was given by rhapdog.

USAFRet, iceclock and darkbreeze are explicitly and completely wrong. The question asked was is it possible to download all of the updates for a particular OS ONCE for later, multiple use.

You most certainly CAN download all windows updates for a given version of windows and apply these updates offline. They will be just the generic updates though, but that will be the bulk of all the updates.

In order to get the hardware specific updates, you would have to be online and connected, but this should be only a very small amount of the total updates.

As rhapdog said previously(and darkbreeze completely ignored in a later reply). WSUS Offfline Update is one tool you can use. Portable Update is another. They both will allow you to download for offline use bulk W7, W8 or W10 updates, Portable Update can handle all the way from W2000 up to W10 if you have ancient tech.

Too late for TheProKiller, but not too late for anyone else looking for a solution.

The other solution posted by rhapdog, which so far only works for W7 and XP is to create a slipstream disc with all of the service packs on the install disc. This can be created using an original install disc and the downloaded service packs. Search for create slipstream {OS} disc, where OS is W7 or XP.
Score
0
a c 1226 * Windows 8
December 8, 2015 5:30:24 PM

loop42 said:
For anyone referencing this question and multiple answers. The only correct answer so far was given by rhapdog.

USAFRet, iceclock and darkbreeze are explicitly and completely wrong. The question asked was is it possible to download all of the updates for a particular OS ONCE for later, multiple use.


The question asked (in this now 18 month old thread) was:
"Re-installing the windows , any way to save the updates ?"

Intimating...."Can I save the updates from this install I already have, so I don't have to download them again"

What you are suggesting is perfectly fine.
You can download them all in one block however you wish...WSUS or whatever.

That was not the question that was asked.
Score
0
December 8, 2015 6:04:24 PM

USAFRet said:
loop42 said:
For anyone referencing this question and multiple answers. The only correct answer so far was given by rhapdog.

USAFRet, iceclock and darkbreeze are explicitly and completely wrong. The question asked was is it possible to download all of the updates for a particular OS ONCE for later, multiple use.


The question asked (in this now 18 month old thread) was:
"Re-installing the windows , any way to save the updates ?"

Intimating...."Can I save the updates from this install I already have, so I don't have to download them again"

What you are suggesting is perfectly fine.
You can download them all in one block however you wish...WSUS or whatever.

That was not the question that was asked.


As I previously just said. Yours and the other answers are explicitly wrong. rhapdog provided the ONLY correct answer.

Your answer was wrong, and your reading of the question was also wrong. The exact question asked was: "maybe there's a way that I can download all of them packed or something and save them so I don't need to redownload every time I reinstall the windows ?"

Score
-1
a c 1226 * Windows 8
December 8, 2015 6:17:43 PM

loop42 said:
USAFRet said:
loop42 said:
For anyone referencing this question and multiple answers. The only correct answer so far was given by rhapdog.

USAFRet, iceclock and darkbreeze are explicitly and completely wrong. The question asked was is it possible to download all of the updates for a particular OS ONCE for later, multiple use.


The question asked (in this now 18 month old thread) was:
"Re-installing the windows , any way to save the updates ?"

Intimating...."Can I save the updates from this install I already have, so I don't have to download them again"

What you are suggesting is perfectly fine.
You can download them all in one block however you wish...WSUS or whatever.

That was not the question that was asked.


As I previously just said. Yours and the other answers are explicitly wrong. rhapdog provided the ONLY correct answer.

Your answer was wrong, and your reading of the question was also wrong. The exact question asked was: "maybe there's a way that I can download all of them packed or something and save them so I don't need to redownload every time I reinstall the windows ?"



That was a secondary question, within the text.

My answer, verbatim, relating to the original question:
"You can't retrieve already installed updates, and apply them to a new install. "

Do you have an issue with that specific bit of text?
Score
0
a c 346 * Windows 8
December 8, 2015 7:16:55 PM

Exactly. YOU loop42, are the one that did not read the question correctly. The OP, again, on a very old post, asked if the updates ALREADY downloaded, could be saved so as to NOT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THEM AGAIN. Your premise is based on having to DOWNLOAD them, which is exactly what he did NOT want to do because of his limited internet connection. Perhaps the issue is a matter of interpretation, not misinformation.

In reality the only answer here that was explicity wrong, was yours, since you did not offer any solution that would not require downloading the updates.
Score
0
December 9, 2015 5:33:55 AM

USAFRet said:
That was a secondary question, within the text.

My answer, verbatim, relating to the original question:
"You can't retrieve already installed updates, and apply them to a new install. "

Do you have an issue with that specific bit of text?


Yes I do have a problem with that. It was not a secondary question within the text. It was a SECOND question, in which he stated that he probably knew the answer he was going to get from the first question: "so if there's no way to back them up now , maybe there's a way that I can download all of them packed or something and save them so I don't need to redownload every time I reinstall the windows"

Since that was his line of thinking. All of the No answers were incorrectly only listening to the first part of his question. He was looking for a solution, and you all said that it was not possible, which is patently untrue. As rhapdog already said it IS possible.

My issue is that others looking for answers to this question will find this post and be incorrectly informed by incorrect answers, when there IS a solution available.
Score
0
December 9, 2015 5:40:50 AM

darkbreeze said:
Exactly. YOU loop42, are the one that did not read the question correctly. The OP, again, on a very old post, asked if the updates ALREADY downloaded, could be saved so as to NOT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THEM AGAIN. Your premise is based on having to DOWNLOAD them, which is exactly what he did NOT want to do because of his limited internet connection. Perhaps the issue is a matter of interpretation, not misinformation.

In reality the only answer here that was explicity wrong, was yours, since you did not offer any solution that would not require downloading the updates.


Wrong darkbreeze. Your answer and current premise also is explicitly wrong.

TheProKiller further stated that he probably knew the answer he was going to get from the first question: "so if there's no way to back them up now, maybe there's a way that I can download all of them packed or something and save them so I don't need to redownload every time I reinstall the windows"

Since that was his line of thinking. All of the No answers were incorrectly only listening to the first part of his question. He was looking for a solution, and you all said that there was no solution, which is patently untrue. As rhapdog already said it IS possible: WSUS Offline. And add to that Portable Update as an alternative solution.

Others looking for answers to this question will find this post and be incorrectly informed by incorrect negative answers, when there are multiple solutions available.
Score
0
December 9, 2015 6:17:05 AM

WSUS was not the only method I mentioned. The other was to slipstream the updates into a new install ISO. That saves your current downloaded and already installed updates. At the time of my posting, it was available only for Windows 7 and prior, but is now available for everything up to Windows 8.1. It's not yet available for Windows 10 as far as I know.

So, the answer as of today is, whether you are running XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1, you can use software to slipstream your installation to restore again later with all updates up to that point.

Just do a simple web search for "Slipstream install Windows XX" and replace XX with the version of Windows that you are running. Voila!

Not only does this method give you all the updates that you've downloaded with Windows, you can also choose to save your drivers to new install media as well, so that you don't have to reinstall all your drivers for your hardware the next time you do a re-install.


Score
0
a b * Windows 8
December 9, 2015 6:43:22 AM

As a reminder, feel free to disagree with someone. But, do so without attacking others and becoming rude. Civility is required at all times.

Attack positions, not people. Use facts, links, and cite your work (so to speak).

Also, posting to old links is highly discouraged.
Score
2