New Fx 6300 overheat

Wonjun Kim

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hi guys.
I built a small rig a few weeks ago, and I've had a lot of problems with the temps.
About 2 weeks in, my PSU died, and I had to get a replacement.
I thought it would work fine after that, but while playing Team Fortress 2, a game that came out in 2007, the computer would reboot then and again. So I checked the temperatures, and I found out that the CPU was going up to 60 degrees. I haven't overclocked anything, and the cooler is stock.
I would think that the stock cooler could handle a stock CPU, can't it?
Do I really need to get an aftermarket cooler for stock settings?

Specs:
CPU: Fx 6300 at stock
MOBO: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
VGA: HD 7850

Solution

very well i had the same result as a minimum and the constant of 15,5 but i have 6x fans and CM HAF912+ case and it very well aired... enjoy your PC and gaming :)

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
Go with the CM Hyper Evo 212. It is one of the best coolers period.

Also what case do you have? Does it have front intake and top and back exhaust fans? If you do not have adequate airflow, the hot air will build up also.

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
Also, 60 degrees is not that hot for a CPU. The normal operating temp is between 50 to 55. However, with the stock fans, you are going to have higher temps.

Did you have your PSU fan facing up or down? A PSU that was fried could have possibly damaged other components. The heat build up could have caused it.

So, what case do you have? And do you have your PSU fan facing up or down?

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
Also, a CPU at 60 degree would not cause your system to reboot. Worse case is that the CPU will either throttle itself down, or the system would just shut down. But your temps would have to be much higher for that.

Wonjun Kim

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Thanks for the fast reply.
The psu fan is facing down. I have this case: ABKO NCORE Voltron USB 3.0
It has 2 intake fans in the front, and an exhaust fan on the back. It's a korean case, so I'm not sure if it sells anywhere else. I don't think it's big enough to install a hypere 212 evo, either. It says that it can only install fans with a maximum size of 157mm?

titanHUNTER

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 24, 2014
Check your GPU temps next time you play. Anything in the 90s is an issue. From experience, the CPU temp was fine. It is rather your GPU, or when your PSU died, it took something with it. How did your PSU die?...

Wonjun Kim

Reputable
May 1, 2014
The psu died while I was playing battlefield 4, it suddenly shut off and refused to boot again.
I got a better psu now. The top of the case doesn't feel as hot to the touch anymore.
From what I can remember, the GPU was in the high 60s to low 70s.
Does that mean I don't need an aftermarket cooler for the cpu?

Jovan93

Reputable
May 18, 2014
update your BIOS to a newest version there is maybe that will fix things what PSU are you using? stress test with AMD Overdrive you will see a margin that you must not pass with temps sorry if you didnt understud me here is one page that will help you understand better hmmm i cant send you maintenence is under way ill send you later but check your margine with AMD overdrive to see how you are performing do not use Prime95

Jovan93

Reputable
May 18, 2014

very well i had the same result as a minimum and the constant of 15,5 but i have 6x fans and CM HAF912+ case and it very well aired... enjoy your PC and gaming :)

Solution