Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Solid State Drive (SSD) Help

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 8, 2014 8:06:25 AM

I would like to get a ssd on my pc (not build yet) and i would like to know if a 250GB is more than enough to have windows 7 , anti-virus program and some games etc... I pretty much only play like CSGO, League of Legends and Garry's Mod. Also, I don't edit so i want a computer for playing this games.
Basicly i want to know how much space in a ssd this would take me (estimative).
Thanks for the help

More about : solid state drive ssd

a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:08:24 AM

Depending on exactly which and how many games, yes.

You should really have 2 drives, though. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for anything that doesn't fit, or doesn't need to live on the SSD.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 8:13:32 AM

USAFRet said:
Depending on exactly which and how many games, yes.

You should really have 2 drives, though. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for anything that doesn't fit, or doesn't need to live on the SSD.


But i dont rly want to waste money on 2 drives when one can be enough, as i said i only pretend on having like MAXIMUM 50Gb with my stuff. If windows has idk, around 50Gb, i will still have plenty of free space for future ocasions

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:16:26 AM

JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
Depending on exactly which and how many games, yes.

You should really have 2 drives, though. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for anything that doesn't fit, or doesn't need to live on the SSD.


But i dont rly want to waste money on 2 drives when one can be enough, as i said i only pretend on having like MAXIMUM 50Gb with my stuff. If windows has idk, around 50Gb, i will still have plenty of free space for future ocasions



I have a 120GB SSD. It holds the OS and all my applications apart from games. Currently ~52GB used space.
My games that live on other drives currently take up around 67GB.

As said, it all depends on which ones and how many. I've seen people with a Steam library of 500GB+
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 8:19:12 AM

USAFRet said:
JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
Depending on exactly which and how many games, yes.

You should really have 2 drives, though. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for anything that doesn't fit, or doesn't need to live on the SSD.


But i dont rly want to waste money on 2 drives when one can be enough, as i said i only pretend on having like MAXIMUM 50Gb with my stuff. If windows has idk, around 50Gb, i will still have plenty of free space for future ocasions



I have a 120GB SSD. It holds the OS and all my applications apart from games. Currently ~52GB used space.
My games that live on other drives currently take up around 67GB.

As said, it all depends on which ones and how many. I've seen people with a Steam library of 500GB+


That's why im asking, jsut to be sure. As i said, I dont like to play many games at the same time, I play mostly CSGO and League of Legends, Garry's Mod in some occasions. I'm sure I wont get more than a 30Gb Steam Library ^^
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:20:15 AM

JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
Depending on exactly which and how many games, yes.

You should really have 2 drives, though. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for anything that doesn't fit, or doesn't need to live on the SSD.


But i dont rly want to waste money on 2 drives when one can be enough, as i said i only pretend on having like MAXIMUM 50Gb with my stuff. If windows has idk, around 50Gb, i will still have plenty of free space for future ocasions



I have a 120GB SSD. It holds the OS and all my applications apart from games. Currently ~52GB used space.
My games that live on other drives currently take up around 67GB.

As said, it all depends on which ones and how many. I've seen people with a Steam library of 500GB+


That's why im asking, jsut to be sure. As i said, I dont like to play many games at the same time, I play mostly CSGO and League of Legends, Garry's Mod in some occasions. I'm sure I wont get more than a 30Gb Steam Library ^^


Then you should be fine.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 8:23:01 AM

Ok, Thanks for the Help
m
0
l
a b G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:26:01 AM

SSDs are fast but are not as reliable as magnetic, USAFRet suggestion of having two drives is a very very good one; even for people without SSD drives, having a second magnetic drive is a good suggestion.

With even just a 1TB magnetic (obviously 2-4TB is even better) you can have extra storage space, and be able to backup your files and OS to the drive, this way if anything happens to windows or the SSD you can be back up and running in 1 hr or less.

You will be better off with 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD then you would be with 250GB SSD.
Windows + some programs uses 25-35 GB of space, so that still leaves you with 60-70GB for games and files.
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:28:44 AM

Added to that, once you start adding music, movies, etc....that single 250GB drive will seem very small.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 8:40:53 AM

Well, I don't really have a big budget so I'll probably get the 250gb ssd and then, if i need more space, which i doubt, ill get a hdd drive.
for the backup part, what part of files do you refer to, because as i said, i'm not pretending to have family photos, music and important documents in here. I'm just a 15 year old guy that doesnt understand a big part about computer hardware, and wants a gaming computer, for school and games.
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:46:40 AM

Quote:
...for school


That is really, really going to suck hen the only copy of a school paper gets accidentally corrupted or deleted.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 8:52:38 AM

USAFRet said:
Quote:
...for school


That is really, really going to suck hen the only copy of a school paper gets accidentally corrupted or deleted.


i think you are exagerating a bit, i mean, even if i had both drives i dont think i would do a copy of the file for both drives. I mean, i could do it and doesnt take a lot of time but what are the chances of that happening. But ok, ill see the prices and see if i can get it, if it is in the price range ill get the 250gb version (not much difference in price from 120gb) and the 500gb hdd. if it isnt, well I'll wait some time and then think about buying one
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 8:55:14 AM

JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
Quote:
...for school


That is really, really going to suck hen the only copy of a school paper gets accidentally corrupted or deleted.


i think you are exagerating a bit, i mean, even if i had both drives i dont think i would do a copy of the file for both drives. I mean, i could do it and doesnt take a lot of time but what are the chances of that happening. But ok, ill see the prices and see if i can get it, if it is in the price range ill get the 250gb version (not much difference in price from 120gb) and the 500gb hdd. if it isnt, well I'll wait some time and then think about buying one


I read that exact occurrence here every single day. Drive dies, something gets deleted...whatever. Then it is a mad scramble on a Sunday night to resurrect a file that is "my entire life!!"

There are several applications that will easily automate the copy process. Set and forget.

No one thinks they need a backup, until about 5 minutes after they really need one.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:02:46 AM

Well, first, i don't get school projects often, second, most of the time im doing a project i always have a copy on my pen, third, if i happen to get both drives and have the same things on both, will the computer automatically run the programs from the ssd?
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 9:05:42 AM

The PC should be running the programs from the SSD to begin with. But no....they don't automatically start running from the other drive in case of a fail.

What I do is get the PC set up initially, and take an image of that. Store it on a different drive. Maybe update that once a month. That's for the whole OS drive.
My docs get backed up on a schedule automatically. Every night, copied over to another PC.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:09:52 AM

USAFRet said:
The PC should be running the programs from the SSD to begin with. But no....they don't automatically start running from the other drive in case of a fail.

What I do is get the PC set up initially, and take an image of that. Store it on a different drive. Maybe update that once a month. That's for the whole OS drive.
My docs get backed up on a schedule automatically. Every night, copied over to another PC.


no, i mean, if both drives are ok and i have the same files on both, the speed will still be of the ssd right?
and btw, can i just open the local disk and copy all of that to the other drive if I perhaps get both drives.

m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 9:12:01 AM

The OS lives on and runs from the SSD, not both. The other drive is to hold copies of your data, and other stuff that doesn't need to take up expensive SSD space.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:14:45 AM

And that happens automatically right? dont need any kind of configuration right?
and what about the second part of the question
sry if im bothering you xD
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 9:18:41 AM

You have to be selective for what you copy over. You don't just select ALL and copy.
All this means is that you have a copy of some files in another location.
MyHomeWork.doc lives in the normal Documents folder. There is another copy of MyHomeWork.doc on the other drive.

If the primary ones gets lost or corrupted, you have a second copy to use.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:22:04 AM

USAFRet said:
You have to be selective for what you copy over. You don't just select ALL and copy.
All this means is that you have a copy of some files in another location.
MyHomeWork.doc lives in the normal Documents folder. There is another copy of MyHomeWork.doc on the other drive.

If the primary ones gets lost or corrupted, you have a second copy to use.


Yes, but if i have the space can i just copy all, i know i dont need some of them but it would just be easier to do it that way, becasue as i said ill probably have like 100-150Gb used on the computer..
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 9:25:56 AM

JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
You have to be selective for what you copy over. You don't just select ALL and copy.
All this means is that you have a copy of some files in another location.
MyHomeWork.doc lives in the normal Documents folder. There is another copy of MyHomeWork.doc on the other drive.

If the primary ones gets lost or corrupted, you have a second copy to use.


Yes, but if i have the space can i just copy all, i know i dont need some of them but it would just be easier to do it that way, becasue as i said ill probably have like 100-150Gb used on the computer..


If you were to copy the entire C drive over to a secondary hard drive, it would not work. You could not run it from there.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:27:51 AM

USAFRet said:
JC10 said:
USAFRet said:
You have to be selective for what you copy over. You don't just select ALL and copy.
All this means is that you have a copy of some files in another location.
MyHomeWork.doc lives in the normal Documents folder. There is another copy of MyHomeWork.doc on the other drive.

If the primary ones gets lost or corrupted, you have a second copy to use.


Yes, but if i have the space can i just copy all, i know i dont need some of them but it would just be easier to do it that way, becasue as i said ill probably have like 100-150Gb used on the computer..


If you were to copy the entire C drive over to a secondary hard drive, it would not work. You could not run it from there.

oh ok so how do i know what to copy ^^

m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
July 8, 2014 9:28:58 AM

JC10 said:

oh ok so how do i know what to copy ^^



Stuff that you create or maybe stuff you download.
A word doc. Or an install file of some application.
m
0
l
July 8, 2014 9:30:40 AM

USAFRet said:
JC10 said:

oh ok so how do i know what to copy ^^



Stuff that you create or maybe stuff you download.
A word doc. Or an install file of some application.


ok thanks
m
0
l
!