New R9 290. Power Cyles. Boots 1 stick of RAM

darkamikaze

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hi,

Okay, so I just bought an R9 290 (coming from a 560 ti). I installed it and plugged all the necessary power cables. I start the machine but it powers on for 5 seconds and turns off. I fiddled with it for awhile yesterday until it finally booted (I did nothing special. Just plugging things back on).
Today I start the machine and it does the same power cycling. I tried resetting the BIOS, Unplugging other things like the cd drive, the extra hard drive and some fans to see if it was the PSU but it still did the cycling. I even tried putting my 560ti back and surprisingly enough, the power cycled.

Then I started taking out the RAM. I took out one RAM and it booted fine. I toyed with the RAM slot configurations and it would only boot if I put RAM in slots 1 and 2 (single channel). Putting any other combination would result to a power shutdown.

Now I guess my question is, what can be the culprit? I guess the signs point to a bad mobo with faulty RAM slots but why was it able to boot yesterday? Can it just be lacking power to use both slots? Did my R9 290 trigger something in the mobo to make it faulty? I was able to play games on it yesterday as well (Hitman: Absolution) with everything max. The temps were fine and I didn't get any bluescreens of any sort.

Much help would be appreciated ! Before I get parts that are actually fine :/

Build is 3 years old with only the new GPU

Specs: Windows 7 64xbit
G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DD3
i5-2500k
MSI P67-G43
Crucial M4/Seagate 1TB HDD
Gigabyte Windforce R9 290
600W OCZ PSU (+12V1 @ 25A, +12V2 @ 25A)

darkamikaze

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Putting a cover on? that IS pretty strange lol ...

I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard, I have yet to try and flash a new bios on my video card. Based on Gigabyte's website there seems to be one available. I'll check when I get home if I'm already on that one.

I don't have any spare RAM :/. Can it really be RAM if both sticks can boot just fine on their own as long as they're in slots 1 or/and 2? It's really odd to me that in one day it stops booting on the original 2&4 slots I had them in :/

darkamikaze

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Shameless bump :(

I might try reseating my CPU but that seems odd to me considering it's been working the past few years. The R9 290 min PSU requirement is also 600W which is what I have... Could the GPU be starving the RAM slots of power but then it wouldn't make sense that the 560ti would exhibit the same issue...

I guess if it boots fine with slots 1&2 everything should be ok?