FX 9370 4.4 to 4.7 ghz overclock worth?

Mindystorm

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Alright guys, this is my first post on tom's hardware so go easy on me :).
It's summer here and my computer gets pretty hot so i'm deciding if the 0.3 ghz overclock is worth it to stay? I'm running an H80i for my 9370 at 1.5375 volts... (can't go any lower or it will fail p95) and honestly my temps are around 30-40 degrees while browsing the web and 50 when playing League of Legends and some more demanding steam games. I'm using core temp to monitor my temps... but i'm starting to think it's not right. I'm running 1.5375 volts on an h80i cooler... and the temps never go above 60. It never throttles unless I run prime95 or intel burn test... but it's a weird throttle. Once it goes around 57 degrees, it throttles to 4.3 ghz or something. The Tj max is 80 degrees..

TL;DR: It's summer, is 1.5375 volts on an h80i too much? Even if my temps seem fine on core temp? Should I undo my overclock because it turbos there anyways?

PS: 1.5375 appears to be the stock voltage as well...

Solution
For the FX-9370 and 9590, they jacked up the voltage to be able to factory-overclock the CPU to those higher settings.

If your CPU core temperature never exceeds 60C, that's great. What is probably causing the throttling, then, is perhaps the VRMs on your motherboard. What motherboard are you using?
For the FX-9370 and 9590, they jacked up the voltage to be able to factory-overclock the CPU to those higher settings.

If your CPU core temperature never exceeds 60C, that's great. What is probably causing the throttling, then, is perhaps the VRMs on your motherboard. What motherboard are you using?

Solution

Mindystorm

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Gigabyte 990fx ud3. Yeah actually that may be true, the VRM heatsinks are so insanely hot that I can't touch them for over a second.

Do you happen to know which revision of that motherboard you have?

The first revisions do not list the FX-9370 or FX-9590 as a supported CPU, but the latest, Revision 4.0, does. (There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the revisions, at a quick glance. Revision 4.0 also supports XMP RAM profiles, and has better heatsinks. You may be able to get by with somehow getting some forced airflow on those VRMs.)

Mindystorm

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Alright. But other than temperature probs and other things, can someone answer the original question? Is there much of a performance increase from 4.4 ghz to 4.7 ghz? It turbos up there anyways.

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

1.5375V is too much for a h80i & its definitely too much for 4.4ghz.
You can try to get 4.6ghz @ 1.45V, it should have the best performance~heat ratio.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953

Also use HWInfo to monitor temps.
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Also note, that turbo boost only works on lightly threaded applications.

4.4 to 4.7 is a ~7% increase in frequency. In games, this might amount to an increase in a handful of FPS.