2002 Toshiba satellite with Win xp sp1 media edition, can't get it to update anything after restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

muno2011

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I have my fathers older toshiba satellite laptop here, he passed on and it was broken but all it needed was a hard drive, I used the toshiba restore disc and a new hard drive and it installed and fired right up! First thing I registered it with microsoft

I know this is older but I want to use this for just emails and whatnot, I connected via ethernet (couldn't get it to work via my wifi), and figured I would do updates to it first then hope to update toshiba drivers see if i can't get the wifi stuff to work too down the road.

It has Service Pack 1 windows media edition version 2002, but if i try to update from the start menu or via the internet explorer tab I just get a message saying windows cant update.

I made sure my time was set correctly, windows updates are on but I can't even get them to run manually, I then googled sp2 xp and tried that but it said that the download stalled out during the installation (tried that about a half dozen times).

Any ideas what I can look for or try to at least get windows updates going? Can I skip sp2 and try downloading sp3 (bypassing sp2 altogether)?

muno2011

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I knew they stopped doing updates to it but I didn't realize they totally stopped a user with a fresh install from at least being able to apply the updates winxp had before the end of life :(

Status
Not open for further replies.