i3 4130 or pentium g3258

MrBombRips

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Im building a new budget gaming rig and was wondering what the better cpu for the money is. I plan on getting the gigabyte ga-z97x motherboard and an xfx 7850 1gb and a future upgrade to an i5 chip later so if i get the pentium i can save a few bucks to put towards the i5.
I also plan on doing light video editing so i was wondering if the hyperthreading in the i3 would be worth the 60 dollar difference and if the hyperthreading makes an impact on gaming.

Solution
the hyperthreading on the i3 would help with video editing and gaming over a pentium, however the hyperthreading would also help on a i7 over an i5, ultimatly you will upgrade the cpu so it is your choice but the i3 would be better than the pentium. ALSO when you to upgrade, you should upgrade to an i7 instead of an i5, as they hyperthreading WILL help with video editing, and for some games, not all though. and if youy found me helpful please dont forget to select best awnser

kajjot

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Go for Pentium as HT doesn't do much in games and essentially both will be just dual core.
I had a G3420 before 4770 and did same thing as you by buying cheapest CPU to get the system running and them upgrade.
And the pentiums are actually pretty quick.

Neil Dangat

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
the hyperthreading on the i3 would help with video editing and gaming over a pentium, however the hyperthreading would also help on a i7 over an i5, ultimatly you will upgrade the cpu so it is your choice but the i3 would be better than the pentium. ALSO when you to upgrade, you should upgrade to an i7 instead of an i5, as they hyperthreading WILL help with video editing, and for some games, not all though. and if youy found me helpful please dont forget to select best awnser

Solution

kajjot

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I think HT won't make $60 worth of performance increase :)
I've got i7 and tested some games and benches with and without HT and didn't find much of an increase. (but i got my i7 for $10 so can't complain) :D

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

I got a question so you saying the Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor beats the overclocked Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz ? I would like to know because im not sure what one I want to buy for a budget pc. I will be doing video editing, runescape at max settings.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4130

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
depends on the app. stock for stock, i3 beats G. stock i3 beats OC'd G for heavily threaded apps since the G hits a wall quickly while the i3 has extra threads to work with (the G would have to be clocked to nearly 7GHz to match i3)

G is great as an OC'ing starting point. buy, OC the snot out of it on a proper Z board, then upgrade to i7-k after a year.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

is the i3 4130 unlocked? or is there a i3 that is unlocked?

Well it's showing on this site that the G beats the i3 so idk
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Co...

So the 4130 will do better for Runescape max settings, and video editing. ?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
stock for stock? i3 beats G. same architecture, same instruction set, same IPC performance, but faster clock. simple.
likely more than half of the real-world user provided benchmarks are from OC'd G3258s, even mild OCs.

again, STOCK VERSUS STOCK is i3.
OC'd is sometimes G, sometimes i3 - depending on the app.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

depending on the app what you mean ?

Well the specs ill be using are.
r9 270x
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB
MSI Z97 PC MATE
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB
Rosewill RISE ATX

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
some apps are not written to use more than one or two cores, so a multicore like an i7 won't be any different than a G. some apps will use as many cores as you have.

for example, i'm looking to learn and use autocad, and everything i've read indicates that it only uses one core at a time, so a strong overclocked G should be better than a stock i3 or even i7. some autocad apps use up to four cores or four threads, but only in very specific ways, and 95% of the time those cases don't come into play.

check your apps requirements and performance in various reviews. it might be that even after overclocking, the G is only as good as an i3 or still falls behind. granted it'll be cheaper and once you learn to OC and hit a performance wall, you can upgrade to an i7 if you think it would be worthwhile. your "wasted" cost of the G isn't going to be that much in this case. and some people get lucky and have a great G that can overclock a lot, while others end up with a more boring G that can only handle a bit of overclocking. it's the silicon lottery!