Solved

[UPGRADING HELP] My motherboard and cpu

Im looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU but I dont know what to.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QxZLFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QxZLFT/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($90.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.39 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($162.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ TigerDirect)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($333.00 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1219.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading motherboard cpu
  1. R9 270x, no doubt a good card, is really un-necessary with that CPU. I would say R7 260x or 750ti would be a good balanced combination with that build. Also, what would you do with a 600W psu? If you plan to upgrade, then it's fine, but not other than that. Also, you may wish to look into the new Haswell based pentium G3258
  2. Imon750 said:
    R9 270x, no doubt a good card, is really un-necessary with that CPU. I would say R7 260x or 750ti would be a good balanced combination with that build. Also, what would you do with a 600W psu? If you plan to upgrade, then it's fine, but not other than that. Also, you may wish to look into the new Haswell based pentium G3258


    On amazon a 350-600 watt power supply are almost all $60. there is no point to pick a lower one.
  3. dogcow said:
    Imon750 said:
    R9 270x, no doubt a good card, is really un-necessary with that CPU. I would say R7 260x or 750ti would be a good balanced combination with that build. Also, what would you do with a 600W psu? If you plan to upgrade, then it's fine, but not other than that. Also, you may wish to look into the new Haswell based pentium G3258


    On amazon a 350-600 watt power supply are almost all $60. there is no point to pick a lower one.


    $40
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/?tag=pcpapi-20

    It says you are looking to upgrade your motherboard and CPU. So is this your current system or are you actually building a complete new system, not just the motherboard and CPU?
  4. bccorrupt said:
    dogcow said:
    Imon750 said:
    R9 270x, no doubt a good card, is really un-necessary with that CPU. I would say R7 260x or 750ti would be a good balanced combination with that build. Also, what would you do with a 600W psu? If you plan to upgrade, then it's fine, but not other than that. Also, you may wish to look into the new Haswell based pentium G3258


    On amazon a 350-600 watt power supply are almost all $60. there is no point to pick a lower one.


    $40
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/?tag=pcpapi-20

    It says you are looking to upgrade your motherboard and CPU. So is this your current system or are you actually building a complete new system, not just the motherboard and CPU?

    This is the system I have know and I know I need a better CPU to support my graphics card. I just wanted to know which CPU motherboard combo I should use to be able to take use of my graphics card.
  5. Best answer
    Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but people were offering suggestions for things I was assuming you already had.

    A lot of new games seem to be drawing a pretty stiff line in the sand between the i5s and i7s and just about everything else. An i3 or really high end AMD will get you close though.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page5.html


    $234(i5 and budget board)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YLYL4D
    $285(unlocked i5 and a Z87 board)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Z9r6h

    BTW, that's a really solid price on that Z87 board. $79 before rebate, $59 after. Another $10 off instantly if it's from newegg.
  6. bccorrupt said:
    Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but people were offering suggestions for things I was assuming you already had.

    A lot of new games seem to be drawing a pretty stiff line in the sand between the i5s and i7s and just about everything else. An i3 or really high end AMD will get you close though.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page5.html


    $234(i5 and budget board)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YLYL4D
    $285(unlocked i5 and a Z87 board)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Z9r6h

    BTW, that's a really solid price on that Z87 board. $79 before rebate, $59 after. Another $10 off instantly if it's from newegg.

    thanks man.
Ask a new question

Read More

Amazon CPUs Motherboards Systems