Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Kingston Hyper x DDR3 4gb blu red ram dual channel doubt.

Tags:
  • DDR3
  • Kingston
  • Dual Channel
  • RAM
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
Share
July 9, 2014 5:34:34 AM

I have a question if anyone can shed light on this. i have a Kingston HyperX DDR3 4 GB (KHX1600C9D3B1R/4G) red ram

i'm not getting another one of the same color. can i buy the Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KHX1600C9D3B1/4G) and make it run it dual channel. is it possible?

More about : kingston hyper ddr3 4gb blu red ram dual channel doubt

July 9, 2014 5:52:03 AM

The sticks have to be matched to work in dual channel mode. If the kits that you have are already matched pairs, and you are just looking to add another matched pair, it should be ok if your motherboard has two sets of banks (four sockets, allowing for two pairs).
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 6:40:26 AM

frostedtim said:
The sticks have to be matched to work in dual channel mode. If the kits that you have are already matched pairs, and you are just looking to add another matched pair, it should be ok if your motherboard has two sets of banks (four sockets, allowing for two pairs).


Thank you for the reply. but my question is i have 1x 4gb hyper x blu red ram and i'm finding it difficult find the same color ram for dual channel config. is it ok to use hyper x blue ram for the dual channel config?
m
0
l

Best solution

July 9, 2014 6:47:31 AM

Using one stick kits: You already have one stick that is the Hyper X Red, but you want to add the Hyper X Blue, and use dual channel mode.

These are two different sticks. While they may have the same stated specs, there are other things that my be different, such as: rated timings, RAM chips on the modules may be different, the voltage controller chip may be different.

Even if the two sticks do all of the exact same things, they are different and shouldnt work in dual channel mode. Like I said before, they have to be matched pairs.

That doesnt mean that you cant use both, but the advantage of dual channel pairing will not be used.
Share
July 10, 2014 3:35:43 AM

frostedtim said:
Using one stick kits: You already have one stick that is the Hyper X Red, but you want to add the Hyper X Blue, and use dual channel mode.

These are two different sticks. While they may have the same stated specs, there are other things that my be different, such as: rated timings, RAM chips on the modules may be different, the voltage controller chip may be different.

Even if the two sticks do all of the exact same things, they are different and shouldnt work in dual channel mode. Like I said before, they have to be matched pairs.

That doesnt mean that you cant use both, but the advantage of dual channel pairing will not be used.


Hi These are the datasheet for both the ram. can you confirm that i will still have problem?..

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C9B1R_4.pdf

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1_4G.pdf
m
0
l
July 10, 2014 4:01:54 AM

Clament Edward said:
frostedtim said:
Using one stick kits: You already have one stick that is the Hyper X Red, but you want to add the Hyper X Blue, and use dual channel mode.

These are two different sticks. While they may have the same stated specs, there are other things that my be different, such as: rated timings, RAM chips on the modules may be different, the voltage controller chip may be different.

Even if the two sticks do all of the exact same things, they are different and shouldnt work in dual channel mode. Like I said before, they have to be matched pairs.

That doesnt mean that you cant use both, but the advantage of dual channel pairing will not be used.


Hi These are the datasheet for both the ram. can you confirm that i will still have problem?..

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C9B1R_4.pdf

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3B1_4G.pdf


Though the specs may show as the same, the manufacturer has done something to make these two kits different. It may even just be that the RAM chips were binned based on performance, but they are still different kits and the dual channel mode will not work with them. They will still register on the motherboard as being different.

You can buy two of the Blue sticks, and they should work in dual channel so long as they are fundamentally identical, usually from the same manufacturing batch. This is also why manufacturers sell kits with two or more identical modules, as they are rubber stamping them with a guarantee that they should be compatible with dual, triple, or even quad channel sockets.
m
0
l
!