Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is AMD FX 8350 good for video editing and rendering and also modeling?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 9, 2014 3:34:05 PM

I'm not on a budget but would like to get a processor cheap and I heard some things About AMD being bad and slow and being such a bad upgrade from a intel core 2 quad (that's what I have) and are those things true. Is it bad for modeling and rendering or does about the same as a i7. Also, does it bottleneck a gtx 760 sli on no overclock (don't want to overclock). Is it going to be a good upgrade from my processor. Is it worth the $200 or should I go with an i5 for video editing and modeling and that stuff. I7 I think it's going to be a waste of money so that's why I'm going for an AMD. Also I know that the AM3+ socket is dead since they are continuing with their APU line but I know the fx 8350 will kick ass in the future with it's 8 cores. Please answer all of my questions!!!!! Finally, what are your opinions on the fx 8350?
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2014 3:49:24 PM

Whats your budget bud and i will tell you but just for rendering and video editing its fine
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
a c 121 à CPUs
July 9, 2014 3:58:23 PM

Agash said:
I'm not on a budget but would like to get a processor cheap and I heard some things About AMD being bad and slow and being such a bad upgrade from a intel core 2 quad (that's what I have) and are those things true.

No; not true.


Agash said:
Is it bad for modeling and rendering or does about the same as a i7

It's good. Not as good as the i7, but the i7 is twice as expensive.


Agash said:
Also, does it bottleneck a gtx 760 sli on no overclock (don't want to overclock).

Depends. For gaming, yes. For what you're doing, probably not. It depends what applications you run. If it's heavy video editing software that can utilize the extra cores of the FX-8350, then it'll be fine. If it only uses a few, then it will be bottlenecking. You may want to think about using a Quadro card and perhaps a GeForce card for the CUDA cores.


Agash said:
Is it going to be a good upgrade from my processor.

Yes.


Agash said:
Is it worth the $200 or should I go with an i5 for video editing and modeling and that stuff. I7 I think it's going to be a waste of money so that's why I'm going for an AMD.

It's a reasonable upgrade. The i5 will give you a better upgrade path because the FX line is dead so there's no direct upgrade for the FX-8350 as of now. The upgrade is worth it.


Agash said:
Also I know that the AM3+ socket is dead since they are continuing with their APU line but I know the fx 8350 will kick ass in the future with it's 8 cores.

Assuming your program uses those 8 cores. If not, then why have them? It won't perform any better than an i5. Also, while the FX has more cores, each core is weaker than the cores in Intel chips. So if your application only uses a few cores, even the i5 will beat the FX.


Agash said:
Finally, what are your opinions on the fx 8350?

I think I've said all that's to be said about it. It's a good chip, but the socket is dead.
Share
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2014 3:59:33 PM

ksham said:
Agash said:
I'm not on a budget but would like to get a processor cheap and I heard some things About AMD being bad and slow and being such a bad upgrade from a intel core 2 quad (that's what I have) and are those things true.

No; not true.


Agash said:
Is it bad for modeling and rendering or does about the same as a i7

It's good. Not as good as the i7, but the i7 is twice as expensive.


Agash said:
Also, does it bottleneck a gtx 760 sli on no overclock (don't want to overclock).

Depends. For gaming, yes. For what you're doing, probably not. It depends what applications you run. If it's heavy video editing software that can utilize the extra cores of the FX-8350, then it'll be fine. If it only uses a few, then it will be bottlenecking. You may want to think about using a Quadro card and perhaps a GeForce card for the CUDA cores.


Agash said:
Is it going to be a good upgrade from my processor.

Yes.


Agash said:
Is it worth the $200 or should I go with an i5 for video editing and modeling and that stuff. I7 I think it's going to be a waste of money so that's why I'm going for an AMD.

It's a reasonable upgrade. The i5 will give you a better upgrade path because the FX line is dead so there's no direct upgrade for the FX-8350 as of now. The upgrade is worth it.


Agash said:
Also I know that the AM3+ socket is dead since they are continuing with their APU line but I know the fx 8350 will kick ass in the future with it's 8 cores.

Assuming your program uses those 8 cores. If not, then why have them? It won't perform any better than an i5. Also, while the FX has more cores, each core is weaker than the cores in Intel chips. So if your application only uses a few cores, even the i5 will beat the FX.


Agash said:
Finally, what are your opinions on the fx 8350?

I think I've said all that's to be said about it. It's a good chip, but the socket is dead.


word
m
1
l
July 9, 2014 4:10:06 PM

You sir have explained a lot and how are the AMD cores weaker, I just don't understand that part. Also, if I get a quadro card, will I be able to game on that too? Programs I will be using are Blender(may go up to cinema4d or 3dsmax), Gimp, Adobe software, Programming software and also gaming.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 121 à CPUs
July 9, 2014 5:12:27 PM

Agash said:
You sir have explained a lot and how are the AMD cores weaker, I just don't understand that part.

So let's say I have a CPU with 4 cores and you have a CPU with 8 cores. Each of my cores can perform 3 IPC (instructions per cycle). Each of your cores can perform 2 IPC. If you were using all 8 cores, then you can perform tasks faster than I can. FX chips are great for multi-tasking and HEAVILY-threaded applications. But most applications are not heavily-threaded and only use at most 2-4 cores. The majority of games out there right now only use up to two cores. A few that use more are Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs. So if the application only uses 2 cores, then collectively, my CPU can do 6 IPC while yours will only do 4 IPC. That means that your CPU will be 33% slower. That number is then multiplied millions of times because a CPU does a lot of work in a short period of time. So what would be nanoseconds amounts to significant times.


Agash said:
Also, if I get a quadro card, will I be able to game on that too? Programs I will be using are Blender(may go up to cinema4d or 3dsmax), Gimp, Adobe software, Programming software and also gaming.

You can, but not very good. The Quadro card works better with video editing / graphical editing software. But you can get a powerful GeForce card for gaming. Quadro cards are expensive though, but worth it if you do video editing a lot. The programs that you use, you can stick with GeForce, but more high-end commercial video editing applications will benefit greatly from Quadro.

I hope you are also doing those on a quality IPS monitor.
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 5:17:10 PM

Of course I'm using an IPS monitor and thanks for clearing things but what if all programs and games use more than 4 cores, then the fx 8350 shines, right?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2014 5:20:16 PM

Agash said:
Of course I'm using an IPS monitor and thanks for clearing things but what if all programs and games use more than 4 cores, then the fx 8350 shines, right?


the fx 8350 is a great budget cpu it will do fine in most things but will not be killing it in any of them if money is a factor then the 8350 can be a great chip but if you want the best performance spend the money on a 4790k.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 121 à CPUs
July 9, 2014 5:20:43 PM

Agash said:
Of course I'm using an IPS monitor

+1


Agash said:
what if all programs and games use more than 4 cores, then the fx 8350 shines, right?

Yes. It still shines, just not as good. In the grand scheme of things, it's night and day compared to what you have now so I wouldn't worry about it.

But please know that a single FX-8350 can bottleneck GTX 760 SLI on games that are CPU-intensive and does not make use of the additional cores. You can overclock to help that, but you said you don't plan to.
m
1
l
July 9, 2014 5:21:39 PM

Thank you for your help, much appreciated
m
0
l
!