HD 7000 series detected as R7 200 series - new problems with game performance

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I just unplugged all my components, moved my computer, and plugged everything back in again. When I turned on the PC (specs below), I got a prompt that my AMD graphics driver was not correct and that I should fix it. I've been attempting to uninstall/reinstall the graphics driver for about an hour now and I am still experiencing issues with graphics performance in PC games. These issues did not exist earlier today before I took apart the rig.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 (detected as R7 200 series, because it is a "rebranded" HD 7000 series card)
RAM: 16GB DDR3
CPU: Intel i7 2600K 3.40GHz
Display: Dell U2412M

I also attempted uninstalling/updating the monitor's drivers, but they were already up to date. I am not aware of the version of AMD drivers that I was using up to this point, it may have been outdated (have been trying to install v14.4). The card was using Catalyst Control Center as a GUI control.

The game in question is Diablo 3 - their support forums did not offer any specific advice outside the obvious. I, of course, have reset my PC several times following installation procedures.

The noticeable effects of the graphics performance issue is much slower FPS (~20 fps vs. the ~60 fps I usually experience). I have the game configured to 1920x1200 (16:10) resolution. All other graphics options were set to low in order to test if performance was acceptable at these levels - it was still slow and choppy. It just didn't look right. Prior to this issue the game's settings were all relatively high, as the GPU was able to render the game no sweat.

Device Manager lists the following display adapters: AMD Radeon R7 200 series & Intel HD Graphics 3000.

In the mean time I am going to try to plug-unplug the monitor from the mobo port (using VGA)

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

I was literally just returning from discovering this vacuous error myself - thanks mate.

Sorry for the unnecessary post, but this is one of those moments where you just have to laugh. An hour trying to figure what had gone wrong, and only after I post here does the answer come to me. :)