FX 6300 Overclocked @4.1GHz with M5A97 LE R2.0

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
So as the title says I have my FX 6300 Overclocked @4.1GHz with my M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard.

I am aware that this motherboard has no VRM heatsinks however by using my logic I believe I shouldn't have to worry about the VRM temperatures because many other people have FX 8350's with my same board at stock speed (4.0GHz) and it is an 8 core compared to mine only being a 6 core. Some of their 8350's are even overclocked to 4.2GHz on my same board and they have no problems (I did research). On top of that my CPU is only 95 Watt compared to the 8350 which is 125Watts.

So going by my logic my VRM's should be fine. My motherboard is also designed to handle 140 Wats cpu's at max I believe. Can anyone else tell me if I'm correct or not?

Lastly, I just overclocked my FX6300 today (4.1GHz) and it is at 1.42 vcore voltage. I ran Prime95 for 22 minutes flat and everything went perfect and smoothly and all the cores were still working. Got bored of waiting and stopped the test.

My question is, based on the screenshot linked below should I be worrying about my vcore voltage minimum and max being so apart? In reality the 1.332 in the min is only a drop spike that it has every 5 minutes or so, maybe even more. It hangs more around 1.39 voltage and up.

Screenshot: http://gyazo.com/d579c706fe7c875127ae396de1757c52

Edit: No one wants to answer the second question.. :(

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I think it's pretty rare for someone to run into a motherboard heat barrier before a CPU heat or CPU voltage barrier. I don't think you really have to worry about that too much at all. However, your CPU's TDP is no longer 95 Watts. By pushing it to 4.1 GHz and increasing voltage you've pushed it to a 125 Watt TDP, if not more than that. Anyway, 1.428 V is a lot for 4.1 GHz. I'm at the same voltage as you and I'm at 4.5 GHz, but that's because of differences in our board quality.

Also, 22 minutes in Prime95 is nowhere near the amount of time you need to be testing. If you want to confirm that you're stable, run Prime95 for a few hours, at least 12 if you want to be sure though 24 is what a lot of people consider "stable". In addition, you might want to try IntelBurnTest as well for an extended period of time (I don't remember how long it's supposed to be).

And your Vcore's min and max differences are fine. It's normal for voltages to fluctuate like that.

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
How about for the voltages I'm getting in the screen shot I showed?

Edit: I know that 22 minutes is no where near, but as long as it doesn't crash while I'm gaming and watching livestreams in the everyday routine I shouldn't have to worry about that.

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

For my CPU is appears to be the normal based on other people. Some can get as low as 1.35 stable with their overclock of 4.1GHz while others can get it stable up in the 1.4-1.45 range.

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Quick question, up top you mentioned by ocing to 4.1GHz and upping the voltage the CPU is no longer a TDP of 95 watts but 125 watts? How do you know this for sure? That doesnt make sense. How could upping the speed by 0.6 make it have 30 more watts. According to my math watt per GHz It would be around 115 Watts. No?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I don't know the formula for sure but the FX-6350 is an FX-6300 but one of the higher quality ones out of the silicon lottery, with a voltage of 1.3 (I think) and a clock speed of 3.9 GHz. It's TDP is rated at 125, so yours also has to be at least 125 W.

Update: By the way, upping frequency doesn't (I don't think) necessarily up thermal design power. However, upping voltage certainly does, and is the biggest factor with regards to heat.

Nitesdeath

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Is there any program that monitors wattage?