Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Motherboard does not lineup with case Standoffs

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 9, 2014 8:54:45 PM

Im in the middle of my build and I am trying to install the motherboard into my case, I can get the motherboard in, but not completely lined up with the case standoffs. I have been trying to line them up for the past hour and Im starting to get frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Corsair Graphite series 230t http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the mobo is ATX and the case supports ATX so I dont see why there is an issue with mounting. Also, if it helps, I cant seem to get the I/O ports to completely snap into the I/O board that came with the mobo.

Thanks for the help.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 9, 2014 9:28:52 PM

the stand off should be the same as page 12 of the case install guide for the atx .
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 9:31:48 PM

Off the top of my head, only suggestions I can offers are to make sure the I/O panel is snapped in to the case completely. Also make sure no metal tabs from the I/O panel are getting inserted into any of the ports accidentally when you slide the motherboard in. Perhaps try installing the motherboard without the I/O panel to see if it fits fine without.

Also, don't tighten any of the screws holding the motherboard in until you get them all of them at least started. I typically start with the screw at the top left of the motherboard (closest to the PS/2 and USB ports on the motherboard) then go to the bottom left. Once I get those in, I do the rest.

If you still can't get it in, can you possibly post a few pictures showing the issues?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 9, 2014 9:38:42 PM

scout_03 said:
the stand off should be the same as page 12 of the case install guide for the atx .


yeah theres no case install guide in my manual.
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 9:43:25 PM

mgolus said:
Off the top of my head, only suggestions I can offers are to make sure the I/O panel is snapped in to the case completely. Also make sure no metal tabs from the I/O panel are getting inserted into any of the ports accidentally when you slide the motherboard in. Perhaps try installing the motherboard without the I/O panel to see if it fits fine without.

Also, don't tighten any of the screws holding the motherboard in until you get them all of them at least started. I typically start with the screw at the top left of the motherboard (closest to the PS/2 and USB ports on the motherboard) then go to the bottom left. Once I get those in, I do the rest.

If you still can't get it in, can you possibly post a few pictures showing the issues?

the I/O panel is most definitely all the way in, no metal tabs are being inserted in the ports, and I have tried installing the mobo in without the I/O panel and it was still the same way.
I haven't actually tightened any screws because I haven't been able to line up the mounting holes :/  .
So I guess Ill try and post pictures a few.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 299 V Motherboard
July 9, 2014 9:47:23 PM

can't you take the standoffs out? A case of mine several years ago had them pre-screwed in, I just took them out and aligned them into the correct position. Make sure your motherboard is getting close to right in the corner of the top left of the case, it might just 'slip' in.
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 9:51:33 PM

unknownofprob said:
can't you take the standoffs out? A case of mine several years ago had them pre-screwed in, I just took them out and aligned them into the correct position. Make sure your motherboard is getting close to right in the corner of the top left of the case, it might just 'slip' in.

Nope. The standoffs are soldered in, no way to take them out. There were 2 however that I was able to unscrew with some effort because they did not align with any mounting holes and were touching the back of the board
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 299 V Motherboard
July 9, 2014 9:56:58 PM

I would use the finger to thumb technique and on the top mounting holes space your thumb and finger on two of the top holes and see if they line up wit the two corresponding top holes on the standoffs.
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 9:59:51 PM

unknownofprob said:
I would use the finger to thumb technique and on the top mounting holes space your thumb and finger on two of the top holes and see if they line up wit the two corresponding top holes on the standoffs.


Yeah they line up, Ive also tried marking the mounting holes on paper and lining it up to. When I do that it lines up fine. If it helps some, there are only 7 mounting holes on the mobo, and there are 11 in the case.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 299 V Motherboard
July 9, 2014 10:01:47 PM

take out the I/O backplate and see if it fits then, if so, you know where you have to place the motherboard properly.
Share
July 10, 2014 6:00:16 AM

unknownofprob said:
take out the I/O backplate and see if it fits then, if so, you know where you have to place the motherboard properly.


Sorry for the delayed reply, my internet went down last night. But I took out the I/O backplate and the motherboard fit without it. I did some more "tinkering" with it and it turns out the metal lips on the backplate were keeping the motherboard from sliding in all the way so I pushed those forward and out of the way and the motherboard fits nicely.
One more question though, when I was taking the mobo in and out of the case i brushed the bottom of it on the standoffs, but there is no visible scratches. Will this damage the motherboard at all?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 299 V Motherboard
July 13, 2014 2:43:09 AM

the motherboard won't be damaged, no.

Glad to hear that it fits now!
m
0
l
July 13, 2014 6:06:33 PM

unknownofprob said:
the motherboard won't be damaged, no.

Glad to hear that it fits now!


Yup, everything went together smoothly after that and now it runs like a champ and has handled eveyrthing I've thrown at it.

Actually, that book did quite a lot of damage...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 299 V Motherboard
July 14, 2014 1:53:20 AM

book?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 14, 2014 4:40:59 PM

explain the book term .
m
0
l
!