Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help me choose my new rig 1500 budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 10, 2014 6:47:52 AM

I've got 2 different options here. I want a gaming/media rig. I only game on a single 1080p monitor. I want it to last me as long as possible that is why i opted for a single card, I can add another one if needed later. Let me know what you think is the better option. The first rig is a little more "high-end" with a less powerful GPU, the second sacrifices on some things but has a more powerful GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($143.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1490.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


OR the other option:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($96.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($695.28 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Rosewill 850W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1506.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

More about : choose rig 1500 budget

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 6:51:46 AM

By "media" do you mean photo/video editing?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 7:06:32 AM

Hi there, how about the next build?
Note that the PSU you used are not the most reliable (at least), the 16gb is overkill for gaming (if media means movies and youtube), the AMD motherboards are ok but due to the pci-e 2.0 only, when using SLI there will be a small performance downgrade when comapering it to pci-e 3.0.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1460.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Enjoy!


P.s My opinion is that you should concider the 780ti and the Intel i5 as a must, PSU is very important as well, the other parts are more flexible.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 10, 2014 8:15:34 AM

How I would spend $1500.

I assume gaming is higher priority, then a mechanical keyboard and nice mouse are a necessity. If you already have a good mouse and keyboard, then you have plenty to buy some nice 7.1 speakers or headset for your media-needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste ($12.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1486.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 10, 2014 8:27:17 AM

Drew010 said:
By "media" do you mean photo/video editing?


Yes, Photoshop, Video editing, some Blender rendering.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 8:30:21 AM

t3nn1spr3p said:
How I would spend $1500.

I assume gaming is higher priority, then a mechanical keyboard and nice mouse are a necessity. If you already have a good mouse and keyboard, then you have plenty to buy some nice 7.1 speakers or headset for your media-needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste ($12.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1486.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


Hi, there are some nice picks over ther but the fact that you downgraded the CPU to a Locked one has a really bad impact on this system (OC is a great way to improve an existing PC performance without spendin any money..) , the PSU will not be enough for another GPU in SLI, and that might be needed in the future, so instead of getting only another GPU he'll need another PSU as well.
Just my opinion of cource..
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 8:41:22 AM

Here's my two cents. The CPU is very powerful for all of your rendering needs, and the GPU is top-tier as well for both CUDA applications as well as gaming. I gave you some high bandwidth RAM for faster speeds, and a 2TB HDD for storage as well as a 250GB SSD for quick caching and your OS as well as other programs. Your CPU can be overclocked a bit with the cooler that I chose, and the MOBO is top spec as well. The PSU is more than sufficient unless you plan on going SLI in the future. Let me know if you have any more questions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($136.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1479.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 8:41:48 AM

brig_N_one said:
Drew010 said:
By "media" do you mean photo/video editing?


Yes, Photoshop, Video editing, some Blender rendering.


Added another 8gb of RAM then..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1527.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Sorry that it's a bit over budget, i think its worth it.
Share
July 10, 2014 8:53:46 AM

charmer said:
brig_N_one said:
Drew010 said:
By "media" do you mean photo/video editing?


Yes, Photoshop, Video editing, some Blender rendering.


Added another 8gb of RAM then..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1527.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Sorry that it's a bit over budget, i think its worth it.




You sir are a genie. Thank you.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 9:31:10 AM

brig_N_one said:
charmer said:
brig_N_one said:
Drew010 said:
By "media" do you mean photo/video editing?


Yes, Photoshop, Video editing, some Blender rendering.


Added another 8gb of RAM then..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1527.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Sorry that it's a bit over budget, i think its worth it.




You sir are a genie. Thank you.


Not so fast! He chose a quad core CPU WITHOUT Hyperthreading, which is significantly weaker in multi core operations such as the editing tasks you described. Also he chose a Z87 chipset board, which is now outdated by the Z97, and would require a BIOS update in order to run the CPU he chose as well (if there is indeed a BIOS update for that MOBO to run the new Devil's Canyon CPUs)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 10:11:36 AM

This is true, if hyperthreading is what you're looking for you must get an i7 or at least an AMD FX 8350, in the i7 case you'll have to downgrade your GPU by too much.. Here's a general comparison:
http://www.hwcompare.com/16377/geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-ge...
In AMD FX 8350 you won't have the downgrade problem but will perform slightly worse then the i7 (you can see in my 'signature' I did go for a FX 8350 and a GTX 780ti because of a limited budget).

So it's a actually your choice that depends on your priorities.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 10:18:41 AM

charmer said:
This is true, if hyperthreading is what you're looking for you must get an i7 or at least an AMD FX 8350, in the i7 case you'll have to downgrade your GPU by too much.. Here's a general comparison:
http://www.hwcompare.com/16377/geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-ge...
In AMD FX 8350 you won't have the downgrade problem but will perform slightly worse then the i7 (you can see in my 'signature' I did go for a FX 8350 and a GTX 780ti because of a limited budget).

So it's a actually your choice that depends on your priorities.


To be honest though, I wouldn't suggest the 8350 unless he planned on heavily overclocking it. The 4790k annihilates the 8350 at both stock and overclocked speeds in many rendering tasks. the GTX 770 is plenty of gaming at 1080p however. If you look at my signature you can see that I am not an intel fanboy, and I do have a slightly overkill GPU setup, but I am going to get the ROG SWIFT when it comes out =P
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 10:26:19 AM

This is how it would look like,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1518.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


If hyperthreading is in your priority, it's the i7 with a 770, or this build with a good multithreading and the 780ti.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2014 10:30:42 AM

Yeah I could see you're not a fanboy ;) 
From my opinion (and maybe yours too) gaming in the highest setting is a must, rendering can take a bit longer but I'm willing to sacrifice that time.
Again my opinion only
m
0
l
July 10, 2014 10:33:57 AM

Drew010 said:
charmer said:
This is true, if hyperthreading is what you're looking for you must get an i7 or at least an AMD FX 8350, in the i7 case you'll have to downgrade your GPU by too much.. Here's a general comparison:
http://www.hwcompare.com/16377/geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-ge...
In AMD FX 8350 you won't have the downgrade problem but will perform slightly worse then the i7 (you can see in my 'signature' I did go for a FX 8350 and a GTX 780ti because of a limited budget).

So it's a actually your choice that depends on your priorities.


To be honest though, I wouldn't suggest the 8350 unless he planned on heavily overclocking it. The 4790k annihilates the 8350 at both stock and overclocked speeds in many rendering tasks. the GTX 770 is plenty of gaming at 1080p however. If you look at my signature you can see that I am not an intel fanboy, and I do have a slightly overkill GPU setup, but I am going to get the ROG SWIFT when it comes out =P


I do more Blender rendering than anything. Is that process helped out by the GPU at all or am I looking at a CPU bottleneck here? No matter what I choose the i5 or the i7 it will be a significant improvement over my laptop. I guess I need to decide if the long term gaming performance or the hyper threading ability is more important to me.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 11:19:45 AM

From my understanding of the Blender Rendering, it is only on the CPU. You would be looking at an approximately 15% increase in rendering performance in the i7 vs the 8350, but the 780ti is an approximately 40% increase in performance than the 770 for gaming applications.

In the end it does come down to whether you would prefer gaming performance or faster rendering times, however neither will be a significant compromise in either respect, i.e. you will still be able to game at 1080p with high settings at 60fps.

Just some food for thought as well, if you are playing a game that is not threaded very well and only runs off of one or two cores, then the i7 will be exponentially greater than the 8350. For example, with my (ludacrisly) overkill graphical power at 1080p, in certain places in WoW I barely get 40fps due to the weak single core power of the 8350. However in a game that runs on all 8 cores very well (like Crysis 3 or BF4) I can run the game completely maxed out at well over 60fps
m
0
l
July 10, 2014 11:32:19 AM

So I think I'm gonna stick with the i5 4690k/780ti and for 10 bucks more get the Z97 version of the mobo. I would like to eventually add a 1440p display and feel more comfortable with the 780ti in longevity.

Thanks for everything.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 10, 2014 12:01:29 PM

Sounds good! Glad I could help
m
0
l
!