Solved

USB Device Over Current Status Detected!!

I just built a custom pc and when I booted it up for the first time it went to the post bios screen for maybe 4 seconds and then went to the American Megatrends thing and said Usb devide over current status detected system will shut down after 15 seconds. What do I do?

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L- M LX PLUS
Case: Fractal design core 1000
cpu: AMD fx 6300
gpu: xfx r7 260x 2gb
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usb device current status detected
  1. What USB devices do you have plugged in? Have you tried unplugging everything except your mouse and keyboard.
  2. Snipergod87 said:
    What USB devices do you have plugged in? Have you tried unplugging everything except your mouse and keyboard.


    all I have plugged in is the keyboard no mouse I even tried it without keyboard to see if the keyboard was broken and it still happened. I plugged the keyboard into the motherboard not into the cases front panel if that makes a difference
  3. Hmm, even happened without the keyboard. What is your power supply out of curosity?

    Try unplugging the keyboard, and unplugging the front panel USB ports from the motherboard as well.
  4. The message means that one of the USB ports is drawing more power than the design limit. So either you have a faulty USB device attached, a short somewhere in the power pins of your USB ports, faulty detection, or something I failed to mention (well, that does cover everything).
  5. Snipergod87 said:
    Hmm, even happened without the keyboard. What is your power supply out of curosity?

    Try unplugging the keyboard, and unplugging the front panel USB ports from the motherboard as well.


    it is the evga 500w power supply and I just tried without the frontpanel usb connectors and even the hd audio just to see. still not working .
  6. WyomingKnott said:
    The message means that one of the USB ports is drawing more power than the design limit. So either you have a faulty USB device attached, a short somewhere in the power pins of your USB ports, faulty detection, or something I failed to mention (well, that does cover everything).


    so I unplugged the front panel usb connectors and it still didn't work so should I get a new motherboard/case not really sure this is my first pc build and I don't really know much
  7. Best answer
    I would check to make sure there is no metal debris in any of the USB ports on the motherboard. It is beginning to seem like the best option would be an RMA to Asus.

    One other thing you could try is removing everything from the case lay the motherboard on a non conductive surface like a desk and plug in the bare minimum, processor (heat sink of course), one stick of RAM, and connect your display. Don't plug in any DVD/HDD drive, and power it on, this can be done by using your connector from the case if it reaches or using a paper clip to connect the two power switch pins together.
Ask a new question

Read More

USB Devices Systems