fX 8350 best stress test to use

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Hello all. I've been using Prime94 blend test but always have a core failure 3-4 hours in. I want to tell myself my overclock is stable but can't get to the eight hour mark without one core failing. I've read that prime95 isn't the best for fx prossesors. I'm overclocking with a 20.5 multi and 221 fsb to get a little over 4.5ghz temp are 56 at the socket stressing with a max of 61. Could it the spike of 61 2 hours in making the core fail. I've pushed my vaults to 1.43 and nb core to 1.25 on my last test and still can't get past 4 hours. Ram it set at profile settings. Any other suggestions for other programs.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Bring your Core Voltage to maybe 1.44 Volts and see how that goes.

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Coolmaster Evo in push/pull case has good airflow with a tons of fans. AIR flow across the NB and vrms is good. But looking at water coolers maybe corsair H80i. Have always been a mild overclocker. Got the updated gigabyte 990fxa rev. 4. So decided to go all in with the goal of 4.5ghz since I recently got crossfire 2x 9850s. But I've been struggling under prime95 to get it stable. I've been timid with the volatage. Determined not to go over 1.425 volts but raised it on my last run. I have LLC at medium because my voltage spikes are way too high with extreme and there's no option for high. It takes a couple hours for hardware monitor to read a high of 61 so I put a fan on it then go to bed lol. I've spend a lot of time on this build with fan setup and wire management. I'm enjoying the struggle but waiting 4 hours to fail is rough.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Alright, goodnight. See you soon. I think your temps are alright, but I need to see them during a stress test and I can help you get the max overclock. I spent over a month OCing my 8320 and got really far.

G

I would say your volts are actually way too high on the contrary.
FX chips can generally go about 400-500MHz at stock volts with the LLC set to Ultra High.

1.4+ seems quite a high amount for that overclock imo.
As for why Prime is failing, that's anyone's guess. Try running OCCT or Intel Burn Test and see if you get the same results.

You must have a golden chip to get those kind of temps at that kind of voltage on an EVO.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Prime95 failing would show that the core isn't getting enough volts. Do turn up LLC and keep your voltage where it is.

G

Usually yes, but the volts are so high it tells me there's an issue elsewhere instead.
1.43v is ridiculously high for 4.5GHz. I have no idea how those temps are remaining in that region but damn.

I would advise monitoring any vdrop/vdroop to get an idea of where the volts are actually sitting at.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Yeah. I got stable at 4.5 @ 1.381 Volts on my 8320. Looks like OP may have gotten a bad chip.

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

I'm having a terrible time with LLC. On medium my computer is having a hard time powering on it starts then stops then goes to full power. It's like a car with a bad battery or something lol. The fans turn of for a sec then completely powers off then goes to full power. When on the computer is fairly stable but if I turn LLC to extreme my volts shot up and I have to end Prime 95 as fast as I can as my temp shots up like a rocket. Trying to get a fsb 222 X 20.0 for 4.44mhz stable at the moment with my LLC on low. My power supply is a cosair cx750m. If I set my volts to 1.42 they are staying at 1.368 going up to 1.38 every so often on prime95 small fft. So far I'm over an half hour in with no failure. If I last an hour I'm going to try blended and walk away for a couple hours. LLC on medium I can get 4.5 a little stable but have no idea what the power on issue is. Till I figure what's going on going to get 4.44mhz fully stable before I move on.

Update: Still don't understand what the power on issue is but made it past an hour of small fft on Prime95. The power supple is less then 2 months old.

G

CPU LLC is extremely useful imo. You need to find the setting that fits right for your intended voltage. I don't know what this is like on Gigabyte boards, but on my ASUS, Ultra High is the sweet spot.

Use HWMonitor to watch the Min and Max voltage on the CPU VCORE. Take a look at what it is when running normally, and when running under 100% load.

Your problem is most likely this. I would bet that having it set to Low is causing it to undershoot the mark dramatically. Hell, for me, having it just on High caused it to slightly undershoot causing one core to fail.
It's a shame there's no in between. Ultra High goes about 0.02v higher under load for me, but I'd rather have an overshoot and risk slightly higher temps, than an undershoot and risk stability.

Extreme will be too much. Probably causing far too high of an overshoot.

In short then. Find the best setting. Load Line Calibration is there to keep voltages in line with what you set them to, and, to stop them bouncing around too much. It's not perfect - it's unlikely anyone will ever find a setting where it hits bang on the mark the manual voltage.

I suppose in theory you could set it to the highest setting before it overshoots (So, most likely 'High') and the bump up the manual voltage to make up the difference, but it seems like a bit of an effort.

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

I set the volt to 1.43 on my last run yesterday they were hovering around 1.41 to 1.425 to 1.44 max on medium LLC. I take pride in my case cooling :) Cool master 212 evo has push/pull with silent arctic cooling fans and case has 8 fans attached to a fan controller. Three are 140 mm with 3 fans blowing on my video cards from bottom front and side. Even on max fan speed my case is very reasonable with sound. I hear my old raptor drive more then my fans. lol

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

Thanks for the help. Going to work with LLC on medium since the next choice is extreme. My volts are bouncing around a on medium but have no choice but to work with it. It is taking too much volts to reach stable 4.5 ghz for a full 3-4 hours on blend on prime95. I'm going to make another run at 4.5 again with LLC on medium. And double check my ram settings and voltages maybe change some things around. I'm just concerned about the power on hiccup I'm getting with medium LLC. I'll post my temps on the 4.5 run. Getting 4.44 stable at the moment.

Update: Figured out the power on issue must have been something I did in bios the night before. LLC medium is fine now. Working on getting 222 FSB stable at a little over default vcore.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Alright, good luck. Don't use FSB, though. That affects RAM, too. Use multiplier and base clock.

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
35n7czd.jpg

This was my 222 FSB attempt core failed at 5 hour mark with ram increase to 4 gigs on blend. Sorry took the screen shot fast. Since this I have given up on FSB and trying a 21.5 X 210 FSB to get to 4.5mhz.

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
hwafsp.jpg

This is my 4.5 ghz attempt with 21.5 x 210 fsb. with Vcore set to 1.425v and nb at 1.2v LLC medium. This is 20 mins into blended 2 minutes later core 7 failed at the 22 minute mark.

Update: increased vcore and 1.2125 v NB ram 1.6 v and stock settings running at 1680. This will be my last attempt tonight. Getting burnt out lol

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

Okay, I also reapplied heat sink with better thermal paste and it has brought temps down a little. I stopped using blend and switch to small FFT. My vcore it sitting at 1.416-1.428 and really isn't moving as much with blend vcore was gong to 1.44 which is my bios setting. My settings are 21x15 fsb at 1.44 vcore and 1.225 nb core volts. How long should I run it small FFTS?

G

Yeah blend has never seemed to work for me on AMD chips.
What's more, most of the times I used it I was running stock settings.

Small FFTs tests the CPU and the CPU only, less space for complication.

Honestly though to have one error after nearly 4 hours of Prime, if I was you I'd just be saying "To hell with it" and running with it.
Then again, I am exceptionally bone idol, contrary to many a-popular belief some of us actually want to use our computer, not run hours of stress tests >.>

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Each CPU is different , it all depends on how great of a chip you received , I have 2 8350'S . one is far superior to the other and thety are both a great boards , The Sabertooth , and Extreme 9.

The Sabertooth is incredible , I'm doing this with a BIG air cooler , Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

I stress test with AIDA64 but it's a paid app.

2livnsi.png

MkGriff1492

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

That's awesome on air. I really like that cooler but won't work with my motherboard. Do you recommand AIDA64 extreme over Prime95 it's 40 dollars. At this point I'm willing to pay it if it's better? I don't see me giving up on my goal of 4.5 anytime soon. lol I don't believe I have a great chip it's using a lot of volts under default bios.