I have a 9590 that I'm trying to stabalize!

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I'm not that familiar with the OC'ing end of PC's, Would someone like to run me through the process and point out what to improve upon?
A 9590 on an Asus Sabertooth gen 3 board. Watercooled. I've gotten it over 5+ Ghz; but, it occasionally shuts down, and Prime 95 kills it pretty quick, even at stock frequencies.

InvalidError

Titan
Not every chip will necessarily hit 5GHz stable and not every motherboard will be successful at getting there either even between specimens of the same model.

If you are using a Sabertooth 990FX/990FXr2, the board is officially rated only for CPUs up to 140W while the FX9590 is rated for 220W TDP. That could explain why you cannot get it stable even at stock settings - your board is simply not rated to handle your CPU even stock.

Here's Asus' spec page for the motherboard I looked at:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/specifications/

InvalidError

Titan

Luck of the draw - maybe you got a better-than-average 990FX board and a better-than-average FX-xxxx CPU while the OP got a worse-than-average board and worse-than-average CPU; seemingly enough so that he cannot get it to run stable even at default clock and voltage.

Or maybe you got exceptional board and CPU specimens and the average specimens would not normally work even at default settings.

At any rate, those two components are technically not supposed to work together as far as the official specifications are concerned so getting them to work comes down to whether or not the two components have enough margin between them to meet somewhere in the middle.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

We increased the CPU Clock Ratio to x25 to get a final figure of 5.0ghz. Stability wasn’t achieved until we pushed the CPU VCore to a +0.050V setting.
I've followed the above reference; however, it was on a Gigabyte board, and I'm lost at the"V-Core" setting in my Asus Bios. (Has been updated to latest). Can't seem to find it in the cross reference. Maybe "V-Core" is listed as something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk

Use this as a guideline.

The Sabertooth AMD3+ 990FX Revision 2.0 is one of the motherboards rated and recommended for the FX-9590. You have top-quality components. There are two issues you need to worry about: power, and temperature. (Revision/Generation 3.0 just has a PCIe 3.0.)

You always want to stay below recommended power levels (1.55 volts at the VCore is the absolute maximum. Many people don't like to go above 1.5 volts.) and thermal levels, which are 61C at the core temperature, and about 70-72C at the socket.

VCore is the "CPU Manual Voltage" in the ASUS Bios. You'll have to switch from Offset voltages, to Manual voltages.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Before I purchased the 9590, I contacted AMD about this very issue and here is their reply;
Dear Jon,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200561981]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History: Thank you for contacting AMD!
The Sabertooth 990FX is compatible with the FX 9000 series of CPUs.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care
I also, contacted Asus and received basically the same reply.

I've also been using it for over a year, and it's instability is quite rare. Maybe once a month, sometimes every other month. Just enough to annoy. I know it's capable of 5 G's, as I've been running it at this speed for some time. Just that it hiccups every now and then, which leads me to believe that I'm close.

Oh! My present cooler is the H220-Swiftech and it doesn't show hot. It's at 5.2 Ghz now with a temp of 32.0 C

Thanks, for everyone's responses.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
So 32C is the maximum Core Temperature, when under load during Prime95?
No! 32 is the temp at idle, and/or gaming. I lock up under prime 95!

Did you run a memtest86+ test?
When I first got my memory (32 G's) I ran tests on each individually and then on the whole as a unit. No failures. G Skill 1600 Snipers.

in the sabertooth bios go to the advanced view then go to the ai tweaker scroll down you will come across a setting that says cpu and nb voltage switch it to manual then change the top setting cpu voltage and start bumping it up you can use the +/- symbols on the numeric pad it will allow you to bump it a little each time

InvalidError

Titan

If you have "rare instability" under normal use but short-order crashes with Prime95, your "rare instability" is nothing more than luck - lucky it does not occur far more often.

If you cannot reach 100% load on the CPU for any remotely significant amount of time without crashing, you are nowhere near having a stable 5GHz.

Assuming your computer can run Prime95 long enough for you to read temperatures, you might want to check what the temperatures are when your computer crashes and also pay particular attention to whether they are trending up, down or stable just before your system crashes. If core temperatures were high or still rising, you might want to investigate cooling issues from scratch.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

OK! Here's my attempts at isolating this issue. Totally removed all but the CPU and MB. Went through a MB "stress test" using a PCI testing card, no issues shown. Added the VC and tested again. Again no issues. Tested with each added component, one at a time. Still no issues.

Went into windows, and tested. No Issues. Played several games, even two at once, still no issues. (I should inform that I'm also running at 1440, on a 7850, 4G card.) Ran stress test with Asus PC diagnosis. Still no issues.

Ran Furmark, (the newest version), no issues.Ran Furmark while also gaming, with no issues. Highest CP temp recorded on these runs were at 68.C.

Under this type usage, spaced out over a the last 18 months, is when it occasionally, locks (once a month, or once every two months). I do register incidents in windows reporting, in between; however, they don't lock up nor stop my gaming at those times. So I am aware that it's there and in the background, just not a big enough issue to clear it. As I said, it's more of an annoyance, than anything.

But, as soon as I run prime 95 (newest version), immediate lock up. can't even get a temp reading. And a system re-boot is required.

These issues remain more or less constant regardless of the Mghz setting in the bios. I figure that I have the "go ahead" to play around with this and see if I can get it stable. If I can't, then I plan on upgrading to an Intel platform, and just keep this system as a toy and learning tool, on how to OC. Lol!

I've done some research on the Int, and discovered that others have been able to stabilize this CPU, and at 5 Ghz, so I feel that it's do-able. I also feel that I'm close to accomplishing it; but, I'm not that knowledgeable in overclocking.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I might also add, that I was able to hold my temps high enough, and long enough to reflow Indigo Xtreme TIM, (using a diff burn in program than Prime 95), and I'm also, running Ice Dragon Nano Fluid in my cooling system, rather than the stock coolant. Plus, the only thing on the loop is the CP.

@Calculatron! Thanks for the link, and encouragement. I wanted to download the video for future study; but, wasn't able to. Will try later.

@Coolcole01! Thanks for the breakdown info. I will try that, after I run some more tests. At present, I'm back at stock settings. I think one of my problems was the cross "naming" within the bios, between Gigabyte, and Asus.