Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Bottlenecking BF4? FPS drops!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 11, 2014 6:09:33 PM

I replaced my GTX 770 with a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 and I was playing BF4 to test out mantle. I notice that in certain maps my FPS drops to ~45 during certain parts.

For example, in Hainan Resort, my FPS can at times go up to the 80-90 range but at other times when I'm in closer combat near the buildings, my FPS drops to the low 40's to mid 50's.

Again, in that map with all of the high skyscrapers (pardon my lack of map knowledge), my FPS can at times drop to the mid 30's and I usually range between 30-80 FPS depending on where I am in the map.

I play on Ultra at 1080p with MSAA at 4x but I've heard of people with 280x's and 290's maintain a minimum FPS of 60 on all maps at all times.

I have the game on my WD Caviar Black HDD, with 8GB of RAM, and I am using an i5 4670K at stock settings with the stock fan & heat sink.

Is my CPU bottlenecking my performance or could it be my GPU? I am planning to get a CM Hyper 212 EVO so that I can overclock but is it really even the CPU's fault for my FPS drops?

Thanks!

More about : cpu bottlenecking bf4 fps drops

Best solution

July 11, 2014 6:27:10 PM

Neither your GPU or CPU are bottle necking each other. Also, Mantle improves CPU performance, not GPU performance, so it wouldn't make sense for you to be bottle necking now considering you were using DirectX before.

The issue is likely in software - If there is a real issue here at all. BF4 Mantle isn't perfect yet. Try a few matches without Mantle and see if you get similar FPS drops. If it is pretty similar then all you can do is drop graphics settings to improve performance.

Also, take other people's frame rates with a grain of salt. You don't know what settings or resolution they are using. I played BF4 with a 7950 (equal to the R9 280 now) and tried to maintain 80 FPS minimum all the time. I was able to do that too - because I don't give a s*** about ultra graphics and tweak my settings for high framerate and texture quality.
Share
July 11, 2014 6:42:35 PM

Drop the VISUAL QUALITY settings very low and see how that affects the frame rate.

It sounds like a GRAPHICS bottleneck to me, not a CPU bottleneck. So again, drop the resolution slightly and the graphics quality settings almost as LOW as possible. The frame rate will likely increase. If so, then adjust the quality settings as desired to get the best result.

I also suggest using RadeonPro. It has a feature identical to NVidia's Adaptive VSync (I think it's called "Dynamic" VSync). If you had a 60Hz monitor it would then synch at 60FPS, but disable VSync if below 60FPS.

(The result of Adaptive/Dynamic VSync is that you get no screen tearing and a consistent frame rate provided you can output the desired frame rate. If you drop BELOW the target such as 40FPS you get screen tearing because VSync is automatically turned off.)

Other:
The R9-290 isn't much of an update. It's about 15% faster on average than a GTX770 (stock vs stock). As said, the i5-4670K can handle BF4 quite well so there should rarely be a CPU bottleneck. If you had a lower performing CPU then Mantle would make more of a difference.

Since Mantle does have some issues I don't think there's any solid reason to use it for BF4.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 11, 2014 7:17:53 PM

photonboy said:
Drop the VISUAL QUALITY settings very low and see how that affects the frame rate.

It sounds like a GRAPHICS bottleneck to me, not a CPU bottleneck. So again, drop the resolution slightly and the graphics quality settings almost as LOW as possible. The frame rate will likely increase. If so, then adjust the quality settings as desired to get the best result.

I also suggest using RadeonPro. It has a feature identical to NVidia's Adaptive VSync (I think it's called "Dynamic" VSync). If you had a 60Hz monitor it would then synch at 60FPS, but disable VSync if below 60FPS.

(The result of Adaptive/Dynamic VSync is that you get no screen tearing and a consistent frame rate provided you can output the desired frame rate. If you drop BELOW the target such as 40FPS you get screen tearing because VSync is automatically turned off.)

Other:
The R9-290 isn't much of an update. It's about 15% faster on average than a GTX770 (stock vs stock). As said, the i5-4670K can handle BF4 quite well so there should rarely be a CPU bottleneck. If you had a lower performing CPU then Mantle would make more of a difference.

Since Mantle does have some issues I don't think there's any solid reason to use it for BF4.


I switched to DirectX and that didn't make any difference to the FPS. Also, when I lowered the quality from ultra to medium, the FPS barely improved which is weird. I really don't want to play at below ultra because it just makes the game look like trash and with my graphic card I shouldn't have to settle for anything less than ultra and still achieve 55+ FPS ALL of the time. I played the game without V-Sync and still got those FPS drops to 30 at times depending on where I was in the game. I don't think RadeonPro would really solve anything regarding the drops. Both my GPU and CPU are at stock settings but I doubt any overclock would suddenly cause my minimum FPS to increase from 35-45 FPS to 60.

Not sure what is wrong.
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 7:57:54 AM

The update to BF4 recently absolutely killed my performance. I reinstalled my drivers and that seemed to fix things. I have crossfire 290s with an i5 4570. I see performance drops on Hainan too. It seems like the maps in BF4 with huge central destructible buildings see cpu performance issues more than any other maps in the game. Same with Shanghai.
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 4:46:18 PM

Cothealiv said:
The update to BF4 recently absolutely killed my performance. I reinstalled my drivers and that seemed to fix things. I have crossfire 290s with an i5 4570. I see performance drops on Hainan too. It seems like the maps in BF4 with huge central destructible buildings see cpu performance issues more than any other maps in the game. Same with Shanghai.


I was able to fix my problem by doing a clean uninstall of my Catalyst Control Center, restarting my computer, and then installing the latest beta version (14.7). It fixed all of my FPS issues and I now don't drop below 60 FPS at all on Ultra settings. You should try it out and see if that works for you. The version I had before was 14.4 and I'm not sure if it was because the installation was botched or if that particular version didn't work well for BF4 but 14.7 was a miracle for me.
m
0
l
September 10, 2014 6:46:26 AM

Hey Guys,

after getting into a rush of buying alot of cheap hardware on the net I upgraded my system to:

r9 280x CF loaded 75°
14.7 Catalyst beta driver & 14.4 Catalyst driver
both cards run on 8x PCI Slots

i52500k 4.5Ghz OC loaded 65°

850W XFX Core Edition

In Game with 1080p and Ultra settings I get framedrops from 140 fps to 30 fps with a CPU usage of 80-100%.
-Mantle and DirectX shifts don’t work
-deactivation of CF leads to a similar setup at 70fps and accordingly lower CPU usage
-No success using RadeonPro with dynamic frame rate set to ~60 fps, usage of Dynamic Vsync control

I Know bf4 is CPU intensive but is it the 4 core 2500k bottlenecking?
m
0
l
September 10, 2014 9:27:29 AM

rus3h said:
Hey Guys,

after getting into a rush of buying alot of cheap hardware on the net I upgraded my system to:

r9 280x CF loaded 75°
14.7 Catalyst beta driver & 14.4 Catalyst driver
both cards run on 8x PCI Slots

i52500k 4.5Ghz OC loaded 65°

850W XFX Core Edition

In Game with 1080p and Ultra settings I get framedrops from 140 fps to 30 fps with a CPU usage of 80-100%.
-Mantle and DirectX shifts don’t work
-deactivation of CF leads to a similar setup at 70fps and accordingly lower CPU usage
-No success using RadeonPro with dynamic frame rate set to ~60 fps, usage of Dynamic Vsync control

I Know bf4 is CPU intensive but is it the 4 core 2500k bottlenecking?


You should open a new thread for your question, you'll get more responses that way.

BF4 is much more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. The 2500k really shouldn't be a bottleneck, and I've used it myself in BF4 on stock clockspeeds and didn't experience the inconsistent performance you are describing. Frankly I can't point you to the problem, I can only say that the CPU is likely not the cause of the problem.
m
0
l
!