Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i7 4790k overheating under noctua heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 11, 2014 11:55:46 PM

So I got my 4790k today, and it runs even hotter than my old fx 8350.
The idle temperature under my noctua nh-c14 is 30 something degrees, but when I do blend test, the temperature jumps up all the way to 99 degrees celsius...
I thought my noctua is broken so I then tried the stock heatsink that came with the 4790k and unsurprisingly its even worse. Far Cry 3 in game temperature is between 80 and 90, I didn't dare to play more than a minute.

Just for comparison, my fx 8350 doesn't go above 50 degrees when doing small FFT test using nh-c14, so whats wrong with this i7??

More about : 4790k overheating noctua heatsink

a b à CPUs
July 11, 2014 11:58:26 PM

If the heatsink change didn't help the temps at all, I'd imagine it's something to do with the TIM on the die.
m
0
l
July 12, 2014 12:10:30 AM

Wow, I just disabled the K OC option in the bios and manually locked the cpu speed to 4000 mhz and now blend test only give about 79 degrees on the stock cooler. I will try the noctua heatsink again.


----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I installed my noctua heatsink, and the blend test only gives about 62 degrees now.
I guess what happened was that my motherboard bios' default setting automatically overclocks the 4790k...
Everything seems to be working fine now, but small FFTs test still give 80 degrees, is that normal??
m
0
l
Related resources
July 12, 2014 7:56:56 PM

Your CPU will throttle at 100 to stop damage. It will shut down at 130 altogether. Your temps are normal for an i7 and any serious OC will need an aggressive cooling solution beyond even the best air coolers.

This is why I won't recommend the i7's unless there is a clear and present need and a really decent cooling solution.

You will need to improve your case cooling and clean up any cabling that's in the way. Think about aggressive cooling solutions, especially if you ever want to OC.
m
0
l
July 12, 2014 8:35:05 PM

MightyBoyGaming said:
Your CPU will throttle at 100 to stop damage. It will shut down at 130 altogether. Your temps are normal for an i7 and any serious OC will need an aggressive cooling solution beyond even the best air coolers.

This is why I won't recommend the i7's unless there is a clear and present need and a really decent cooling solution.

You will need to improve your case cooling and clean up any cabling that's in the way. Think about aggressive cooling solutions, especially if you ever want to OC.

But I am not overclocking though, if I let my i7 run at default clock (4.4ghz turbo) it will reach 96 degrees during small fft test, its only when I manually lock the clock to 4.0 (so never go up to 4.4), it will settle at 80 something degrees during the small fft test. Its weird because my 8350 never reaches close to its max safety temperature of 61 degrees even under small ffts test using the same heat sink I am using now!
m
0
l
July 12, 2014 8:50:03 PM

I have CM Hyper 212 Evo on my 4790k, although I haven't stress tested it, it idles around 36c. Dunno if that's good either
m
0
l
July 12, 2014 9:13:55 PM

grimmjow660 said:
I have CM Hyper 212 Evo on my 4790k, although I haven't stress tested it, it idles around 36c. Dunno if that's good either

Mine idles at around 37, but its the stress test temperature that worries me.

m
0
l
July 13, 2014 4:17:00 PM

OK firstly, the AMD processors heat sensors sit in a different place so you shouldn't compare one with an icpu.

Like I said, the i7 is notorious for running hot and will do so without aggressive cooling solutions.

Can I ask why you got a k CPU if you weren't planning on OC?

You may find it helpful to switch your CPU for an i5 series as it can handle air cooling easily.

That, or follow my previous suggestions ;-)

Go forth and conquer!

m
0
l

Best solution

July 13, 2014 4:55:14 PM

709zzy said:
MightyBoyGaming said:
Your CPU will throttle at 100 to stop damage. It will shut down at 130 altogether. Your temps are normal for an i7 and any serious OC will need an aggressive cooling solution beyond even the best air coolers.

This is why I won't recommend the i7's unless there is a clear and present need and a really decent cooling solution.

You will need to improve your case cooling and clean up any cabling that's in the way. Think about aggressive cooling solutions, especially if you ever want to OC.

But I am not overclocking though, if I let my i7 run at default clock (4.4ghz turbo) it will reach 96 degrees during small fft test, its only when I manually lock the clock to 4.0 (so never go up to 4.4), it will settle at 80 something degrees during the small fft test. Its weird because my 8350 never reaches close to its max safety temperature of 61 degrees even under small ffts test using the same heat sink I am using now!


OK so again, to reiterate, you shouldn't compare amd to Intel in this space in regards to temp.

Your chip is designed to run hotter and your standard temps are on par with the chip.

Of course if you engage Turbo or OC of any kind, then you will require adequate cooling. In your case(pun totes intended) you will more than likely need water cooling and better ventilation to handle the higher temp.

Just to reiterate... There is nothing wrong with your CPU at all.
Share
July 13, 2014 7:30:09 PM

MightyBoyGaming said:
709zzy said:
MightyBoyGaming said:
Your CPU will throttle at 100 to stop damage. It will shut down at 130 altogether. Your temps are normal for an i7 and any serious OC will need an aggressive cooling solution beyond even the best air coolers.

This is why I won't recommend the i7's unless there is a clear and present need and a really decent cooling solution.

You will need to improve your case cooling and clean up any cabling that's in the way. Think about aggressive cooling solutions, especially if you ever want to OC.

But I am not overclocking though, if I let my i7 run at default clock (4.4ghz turbo) it will reach 96 degrees during small fft test, its only when I manually lock the clock to 4.0 (so never go up to 4.4), it will settle at 80 something degrees during the small fft test. Its weird because my 8350 never reaches close to its max safety temperature of 61 degrees even under small ffts test using the same heat sink I am using now!


OK so again, to reiterate, you shouldn't compare amd to Intel in this space in regards to temp.

Your chip is designed to run hotter and your standard temps are on par with the chip.

Of course if you engage Turbo or OC of any kind, then you will require adequate cooling. In your case(pun totes intended) you will more than likely need water cooling and better ventilation to handle the higher temp.

Just to reiterate... There is nothing wrong with your CPU at all.


I found that my bios had my cpu running at 1.4v, so I updated it with the most recent version and its only running at about 1.2v now under full load.

I just tried Far Cry 3 again with my noctua heatsink and the temperature this time is only about 65~75 in game.
Blend test only gives 70 something now too. So I guess everything is working properly.

Small ffts test stil pushes my cpu to 90+ degrees but I guess that test is probably just not suited to i7.
m
0
l
August 29, 2014 6:09:57 PM

I had the same problem with i7 4790k with Noctua NH-L12 and G1.Sniper M5 Z87. The temperatures under stress tests were close to 90. I was about to change the thermalpaste (though Arctic MX-4 is good enough) but decided to flash bios first. F10a really helped. The temperature of the CPU doesnt go higher than 60 degrees under heaviest tests. Hope it could be helpfull .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2014 8:14:07 PM

Watercooling required for an I7 is pretty much the most stupid thing I've heard today. Especially on devils canyons.

As you already fogured out yourself, your motherboard was extremely overvolting the cpu. It seems that you still need a bios update.
Also, make sure you didn't apply too less or too much thermal paste, just to make sure
Third, watch your case overflow. If it's good and your ambient isn't far over 28c, your cooler should be more than good enough to get you to 4.8ghz with temps under 80c. For temperature testing, do NOT use prime 95 in a version higher than 26.6. It wil use avx instructions, getting your temp higher than any real world program would do. I use prime 28.5 too, but for stability rather than temp testing.
m
0
l
!