Solved

Windows 8/8.1 fresh install with W8 key?

Hey guys, I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 8.1, (or 8, I don't mind upgrading to 8.1 after installation.) According to this Microsoft article, in order to do a fresh install of Windows 8 or 8.1, you must have an 8.1 key code.

Now, I'm not sure if theres a different way to do this now, but the only way to install Windows 8 was to install W7 first, then upgrade the OS to W8. I don't really mind doing that, but it's a lot more hassle than just fresh installing W8.1. Is there a way to fresh install Windows 8 with a W8 key?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows fresh install key
  1. Can you explain more? So your saying that you have windows 8 but you believe you need a windows 8.1 key card right?
  2. Best answer
    This depends on what Windows 8 license you have. If it is an Upgrade license, it must be done from a running Win7 system.

    However, given a running Windows 7 system, you can actually create the Windows 8 install disk.
    <incorrect link removed>
    EDIT: Use this link instead - http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939

    NOTE: the running Win7 system needs to be the same bitspace as the Win8 you want. 32bit or 64bit.

    If what you have is a regular Win8 install, just go for it and install.
  3. I have a new system I'm about to install Windows 8/8.1 on, I'm just looking for a way to do it without an 8.1 key or having W7 installed beforehand. All I have is a Windows 8 key.
  4. Yes, I have Windows 8 running off of another computer, so it's possible to create an install disk with this other computer?
  5. Depends. Windows 8 OEM allows you to install on more than one PC, but not simultaneously.
  6. Sorry, I have an upgrade key good for use on two systems, back when upgrading was the only option. I can still use the code once. So in order to install it, I need to install Windows 7 first, then install W8. Given that a keyless W7 can be downloaded from Microsoft's digital rivers store, it doesn't actually cost any more money than just installing windows 8, it's just more hassle.
  7. theorange said:
    Sorry, I have an upgrade key good for use on two systems, back when upgrading was the only option. I can still use the code once. So in order to install it, I need to install Windows 7 first, then install W8. Given that a keyless W7 can be downloaded from Microsoft's digital rivers store, it doesn't actually cost any more money than just installing windows 8, it's just more hassle.


    Right.
  8. Yeah, so is there a way to do it without installing Windows 7 beforehand?

    Oh, I'm an idiot, I forgot about the method you described up above. Is that the only way to do a fresh install of windows 8?
  9. theorange said:
    Yeah, so is there a way to do it without installing Windows 7 beforehand?

    Oh, I'm an idiot, I forgot about the method you described up above. Is that the only way to do a fresh install of windows 8?


    Given an Upgrade, that's almost certainly the only way to generate valid install media. You can use ANY Win7 system. Doesn't have to be the target PC, as long as you get the 32bit/64bit right.
    If you do it from a 32bit Win7 system, yo will end up with a 32bit Win8 install.
  10. Does that violate the license agreement though? I'm not sure why I even care, given that I'm not saving any money, just time. More than likely that's what I'll end up doing anyways.

    I could always just get a free 8.1 key from my uni, but man, I bet you can already tell how lazy I am.
  11. theorange said:
    Does that violate the license agreement though? I'm not sure why I even care, given that I'm not saving any money, just time. More than likely that's what I'll end up doing anyways.

    I could always just get a free 8.1 key from my uni, but man, I bet you can already tell how lazy I am.


    Does not violate it at all. That is direct from Microsoft. Just choose "Install later"
  12. Well, I mean the part using regedit to turn the upgrade disk into a full install disk.
  13. theorange said:
    Well, I mean the part using regedit to turn the upgrade disk into a full install disk.


    OH CRAP !!! I posted the wrong link !

    This one.
    http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939
  14. But that still only creates an upgrade disk if you have an upgrade license, correct?
  15. theorange said:
    But that still only creates an upgrade disk if you have an upgrade license, correct?


    That will, theoretically, create a disk you can use to install on a bare drive. During creation, it sees that you actually have a running Windows system. And as such, you are OK.
  16. It says this in the article:

    Quote:
    Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows.


    I guess I'll try it anyways though, thanks for the help!
  17. theorange said:
    It says this in the article:

    Quote:
    Also note that you won't be able to use this disc to do a clean install on an empty hard drive if it's an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you should be able to do a clean install over an existing copy of Windows.


    I guess I'll try it anyways though, thanks for the help!


    hmmmmmm
  18. Hey, sorry for not being able to get back to you for a while, I didn't the chance to try the install until today.

    I tried making an install usb from the upgrade assistant, it just didn't let me fresh install with an upgrade license. I ended up just getting an 8.1 key though, so I guess that's that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Microsoft