Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

R7 260X CrossFire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2014 10:53:53 AM

Hi guys, I was planning on choosing a GTX 770 as my graphic card, with an i5 4670 and an Asus B85M-E mobo. But then, I realised two R7 260X would perform about the same and cost cheaper than a GTX 770, BUT I don't know if it is possible to CrossFire those cards correctly in the B85M-E, even if the mobo DOES support CrossFire.

The Specs are saying:

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

Is it possible to run one card in PCIE 3.0 and the other on 2.0? I want NO bottleneck at all!

More about : 260x crossfire

Best solution

a c 306 U Graphics card
July 12, 2014 2:45:34 PM

If your 2nd PCIex16 slot is only x4 lanes, don't bother. You won't get full performance from the 2nd card and it may even drag down performance of the 1st card. And scaling will be problematic too.

To answer your other question, it won't matter. No card I'm aware of can saturate even the ver 2.0's bandwidth. (PCIe 3.0 is mainly an innovation designed for PCIe SSD's since they are starting to exceed the bandwidth of the SATA III interface.)
Share
July 12, 2014 2:48:13 PM

just get gtx 770 dont bother with r7 260x its not gunna give u what u think it might run well on some crossfire optimized games but not the other the only reason to go crossfire is if u r running multiple monitors
m
0
l
Related resources
July 12, 2014 3:06:48 PM

Better get a GTX 770, many games are not potimized for crossfire or do not even support it.
m
0
l
July 12, 2014 5:33:49 PM

Thank you for all the answers!
m
0
l
a c 306 U Graphics card
July 12, 2014 8:08:41 PM

There appears to be a lot of misinformation going around about games not being optimized for or working with CF/SLI. Unless you are playing some really old or really low end games, you won't have to worry about CF or SLI not being recognized. Today's games all run CF/SLI.
m
0
l
July 13, 2014 5:07:45 AM

clutchc said:
There appears to be a lot of misinformation going around about games not being optimized for or working with CF/SLI. Unless you are playing some really old or really low end games, you won't have to worry about CF or SLI not being recognized. Today's games all run CF/SLI.


No game from origin whatsoever can be ran while using CF. I was watching a video, he had crossfire R9 295X2. Like battlefield... He had to turn off one graphics card, then go into BF4, change to mantle and then turn on the 2nd graphics card.

m
0
l
a c 306 U Graphics card
July 13, 2014 11:59:01 AM

Pony32 said:
clutchc said:
There appears to be a lot of misinformation going around about games not being optimized for or working with CF/SLI. Unless you are playing some really old or really low end games, you won't have to worry about CF or SLI not being recognized. Today's games all run CF/SLI.


No game from origin whatsoever can be ran while using CF. I was watching a video, he had crossfire R9 295X2. Like battlefield... He had to turn off one graphics card, then go into BF4, change to mantle and then turn on the 2nd graphics card.



That's funny. When I recently had 2 x HD 7870 Gigahertz cards in the rig in my sig below, I had no issue running Origin games (or any other) in CF. Same with my previous 2 x GTX 660s in SLI. GPU-Z showed both cards running as expected. Might be a Mantle bug he was experiencing with the new dual GPU card.
m
0
l
July 13, 2014 2:01:45 PM

clutchc said:
Pony32 said:
clutchc said:
There appears to be a lot of misinformation going around about games not being optimized for or working with CF/SLI. Unless you are playing some really old or really low end games, you won't have to worry about CF or SLI not being recognized. Today's games all run CF/SLI.


No game from origin whatsoever can be ran while using CF. I was watching a video, he had crossfire R9 295X2. Like battlefield... He had to turn off one graphics card, then go into BF4, change to mantle and then turn on the 2nd graphics card.



That's funny. When I recently had 2 x HD 7870 Gigahertz cards in the rig in my sig below, I had no issue running Origin games (or any other) in CF. Same with my previous 2 x GTX 660s in SLI. GPU-Z showed both cards running as expected. Might be a Mantle bug he was experiencing with the new dual GPU card.


Maybe it's the problem with R9 295X2 then. I don't know.
m
0
l
!