i5 4690 vs i5 4690S.... Whats the difference?

Chubsmagee

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Solution
The 4690S is directly comparable in performance to the 4460 CPU with the only difference being power consumption.

The 4690 and 4690S are the same CPU with the voltage and clock speed lowered on the 4690S to reduce power consumption. This does reduce performance, of course. The 4690S is about 10% slower (and less performing) than the 4690.

If you do not have air conditioning, the 4690S will run cooler (as will any S series CPU). As such it can be a better choice then.

You can also use a third party cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus to help remove the heat from the CPU (if you do not have air conditioning), otherwise the stock cooler will work fine.

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
They are the same, the S version is cooler, less TDP. As I love efficiency, I would go with the 4690S.
Both will work perfectly for gaming. The performance difference is nothing because both reach the same turbo speed while doing a task (including gaming).

It is clocked lower and uses less power. It's more ideal for server environments. At stock, the i5-4690 is better and most likely will be better unless you managed to get them both to 3.9 on turbo.

But just because you can get 3.9 GHz on turbo, it doesn't mean it will hit it. Intel's Turbo Boost operates on a per-use case and goes off your temperature. Read more about it here.

The i5-4690 is better. Both CPUs can't be overclocked, so the extra speed does help.

wildfire707

Distinguished
The 4690S is directly comparable in performance to the 4460 CPU with the only difference being power consumption.

The 4690 and 4690S are the same CPU with the voltage and clock speed lowered on the 4690S to reduce power consumption. This does reduce performance, of course. The 4690S is about 10% slower (and less performing) than the 4690.

If you do not have air conditioning, the 4690S will run cooler (as will any S series CPU). As such it can be a better choice then.

You can also use a third party cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus to help remove the heat from the CPU (if you do not have air conditioning), otherwise the stock cooler will work fine.

Solution