Solved

Fingerprint Scanner/Reader VULN? FIXED THREAD

Hello tomshardware community! I am looking to buy a notebook but I realised it comes with a fingerprint reader, and so I´ve been thinking, the fingerprint you put must be stored somewhere in the filesystem (does anyone know where, anyway?) could someone hack the user, and get his/her fingerprint? then find out if the user has an account or something, plus his/her name and then he can go to a bank and steal the user? If that´s the case, I´d rather take another laptop
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fingerprint scanner reader vuln fixed thread
  1. I did some research on it:
    it's a really hard thing to hack into a secured system (especially by a fingerprint).
    I thought it might be possible to just screw open the laptopcase and remove the fingerprint hardware, but even then I don't think Windows will let you in (without the identification).
    A system always has it's vulnerabilities, but chances here are almost nihil. Someone needs to be really high-skilled to try and hack the system (if it's possible to do that, at least).

    If one would hack into a system, it doesn't need the fingerprint file to get to your data. If you store your personal information on your computer, it'll always be possible to find it (which is, as I said before, not done by just anyone).
    What you could use are private browsers, which should not leave any traces. Next to that, clean up your disks (include all the hidden areas, of course) which might contain any of your information.

    Also, take a look at the quality of the fingerprint reader. There are cheap ones on the market, but higher-quality too.

    Just remember: a system is always vulnerable. Even if not hackable, external factors (such as human beings) might hold the key to the system. But still, chances are really small for just you to be picked out and get hacked.

    I hope I helped you a bit here!
  2. Kryptonous said:
    I did some research on it:
    it's a really hard thing to hack into a secured system (especially by a fingerprint).
    I thought it might be possible to just screw open the laptopcase and remove the fingerprint hardware, but even then I don't think Windows will let you in (without the identification).
    A system always has it's vulnerabilities, but chances here are almost nihil. Someone needs to be really high-skilled to try and hack the system (if it's possible to do that, at least).

    If one would hack into a system, it doesn't need the fingerprint file to get to your data. If you store your personal information on your computer, it'll always be possible to find it (which is, as I said before, not done by just anyone).
    What you could use are private browsers, which should not leave any traces. Next to that, clean up your disks (include all the hidden areas, of course) which might contain any of your information.

    Also, take a look at the quality of the fingerprint reader. There are cheap ones on the market, but higher-quality too.

    Just remember: a system is always vulnerable. Even if not hackable, external factors (such as human beings) might hold the key to the system. But still, chances are really small for just you to be picked out and get hacked.

    I hope I helped you a bit here!


    thanks! I am the anonymous user that made this question, I couldn´t reply as anonymous though (that's good because then it prevents spam). Thanks for your help!! that´s very much appreciated, I tried googling and it didn´t really work out (most articles were about fingerprint scanners being fooled and that´s not the "point" I was looking for. I am pleased to hear that and so I am convinced I will be getting that laptop now!
  3. Kryptonous said:
    I did some research on it:
    it's a really hard thing to hack into a secured system (especially by a fingerprint).
    I thought it might be possible to just screw open the laptopcase and remove the fingerprint hardware, but even then I don't think Windows will let you in (without the identification).
    A system always has it's vulnerabilities, but chances here are almost nihil. Someone needs to be really high-skilled to try and hack the system (if it's possible to do that, at least).

    If one would hack into a system, it doesn't need the fingerprint file to get to your data. If you store your personal information on your computer, it'll always be possible to find it (which is, as I said before, not done by just anyone).
    What you could use are private browsers, which should not leave any traces. Next to that, clean up your disks (include all the hidden areas, of course) which might contain any of your information.

    Also, take a look at the quality of the fingerprint reader. There are cheap ones on the market, but higher-quality too.

    Just remember: a system is always vulnerable. Even if not hackable, external factors (such as human beings) might hold the key to the system. But still, chances are really small for just you to be picked out and get hacked.

    I hope I helped you a bit here!


    Oh wait, I re-read it and I think we've been through a missunderstanding what I meant by hacking I meant people getting my fingerprint, they could take my fingerprint and use it against my will (sign a contract of me giving them all I got + my soul?, just for example)
  4. Best answer
    Ah, that explains a lot ;)
    Well, considering the latest fingerprint readers (which are just a couple of mm thick) I don't really think that's possible anymore. Still, one could copy a fingerprint but could as well do that from the cup you're drinking off or the mirror/glass door you last put your hands on. Chances are (again) very low for someone to do that.
    As far as I'm concerned, you not only need fingerprint to get in to your bankaccount. You also need codes and if walking into a bank with a 'third arm' isn't suspicious enough, even then it's hard to just copy a good fingerprint.

    It's not like taking a bit of powder and taking some tape to put the print on it.

    So I guess you're quite safe there. There'll always be a risk (everywhere, whatever you do, not only fingerprints). But you shouldn't worry to much about it. If you're worried about the fingerprint, try also looking for more possible security options like an extra code you'd need to gain access to personal data for example. And an authenticator like banks often use (or games like WoW).

    I hope I helped you with this one a bit more!
  5. Kryptonous said:
    Ah, that explains a lot ;)
    Well, considering the latest fingerprint readers (which are just a couple of mm thick) I don't really think that's possible anymore. Still, one could copy a fingerprint but could as well do that from the cup you're drinking off or the mirror/glass door you last put your hands on. Chances are (again) very low for someone to do that.
    As far as I'm concerned, you not only need fingerprint to get in to your bankaccount. You also need codes and if walking into a bank with a 'third arm' isn't suspicious enough, even then it's hard to just copy a good fingerprint.

    It's not like taking a bit of powder and taking some tape to put the print on it.

    So I guess you're quite safe there. There'll always be a risk (everywhere, whatever you do, not only fingerprints). But you shouldn't worry to much about it. If you're worried about the fingerprint, try also looking for more possible security options like an extra code you'd need to gain access to personal data for example. And an authenticator like banks often use (or games like WoW).

    I hope I helped you with this one a bit more!


    That´s quite a good explanation, thanks! after I made the question I thought yeah, a fingerprint won´t be enough to fool a bank, a government, a school/college/university, or a workplace into thinking it´s me, they´ll need my ID, passwords, security questions, connection from the same IP and sometimes even myself being there! + your recent response made me even more secure about it!
  6. I'm glad to hear that!
    Could you pick your solution (so this topic will be 'closed')? You'd help the organisation of the forum and you'd do me a favor :)
  7. Anonymous said:
    Hello tomshardware community! I am looking to buy a notebook but I realised it comes with a fingerprint reader, and so I´ve been thinking, the fingerprint you put must be stored somewhere in the filesystem (does anyone know where, anyway?) could someone hack the user, and get his/her fingerprint? then find out if the user has an account or something, plus his/her name and then he can go to a bank and steal the user? If that´s the case, I´d rather take another laptop


    Kryptonous said:
    I'm glad to hear that!
    Could you pick your solution (so this topic will be 'closed')? You'd help the organisation of the forum and you'd do me a favor :)


    Sorry, but first post was made as anonymous, I registered as buenopure4 already :/
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Scan Scanners Fingerprint