R9 290 Tri-X or R9 290 gigabyte (non reference)

Solution
Can't say my Tri-X experience is flawless, the cooler is fantastic really and when it works it damn works (well it works every time, no issues there)

The issue I'm having and I did not resolve it yet is that on first boot after the PC was turned off for like a couple of hours, I usually get no monitor signal for some reason. And it's not PSU or cable, since I used HD6990 before and it sure as hell needs better PSU and used the same cable and had no issues EVER.

Of course it is more of an annoyance, but I am a bit concerned that it may be a harbinger of the more serious things to come.

So, I'd go for Gygabyte, even despite the fact that Sapphire cooler is AMAZING, really insanely cool temps for air cooler, never seen anything like it...

leeb2013

Honorable
most reviews show the tri-x to be the best cooler and I can vouch for it being cool and quiet.

Also, if you ever use 3 (non-DP) monitors, Sapphire don't require you to buy a $80+ active DP to HDMI/DVI adapter as all other AMD cards to, Sapphire allow you to use 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI, where-as all others require you to use at least 1 DP.

Snake47

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

i hear the same but im just so worried because i had the r9 280x Toxic and it had so many issues with artifacting and there was so many complaints about that with that gpu in general and the tri x is in the same family so im very concerned

The best most reliable cards are the reference cooler and clock speed variants - the PCB's dont bend and get hot spots because of rubbish coolers, the fans actually last and usually extract/exhaust the hot air out the back and the default clock speeds are 'to spec' and more solid and reliable (as the vendor intended aka AMD/Nvidia etc)

All computer hardware suffer from bad batches etc you will get a bad one every so often - its fact, also factor in damage during freight, and end user fault or poor hardware selection (cheap nasty psu's etc) into the bad online reviews for products out there - normal.

Gaidax

Distinguished
Can't say my Tri-X experience is flawless, the cooler is fantastic really and when it works it damn works (well it works every time, no issues there)

The issue I'm having and I did not resolve it yet is that on first boot after the PC was turned off for like a couple of hours, I usually get no monitor signal for some reason. And it's not PSU or cable, since I used HD6990 before and it sure as hell needs better PSU and used the same cable and had no issues EVER.

Of course it is more of an annoyance, but I am a bit concerned that it may be a harbinger of the more serious things to come.

So, I'd go for Gygabyte, even despite the fact that Sapphire cooler is AMAZING, really insanely cool temps for air cooler, never seen anything like it on GPUs.

Solution

leeb2013

Honorable

The only similarity is it's the same manufacturer, ie. Sapphire. The R9 280x is a renamed 7970 (tahiti gpu) and a completely different architecture to R9-290 (hawaii gpu). The artifacting seems to affect all brands of R9 280x and the main cause seems to be excessive factory overclock to improve the performance of what's basically a 7970.

Snake47

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

thank you very much i will take this into consideration

Snake47

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

so i shouldn't be worried for the problems the r9 280x toxic was notoriously known for?

leeb2013

Honorable

the Fiat 126 was a notoriously bad car, but it doesn't put people of buying cars!