Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overheating amd fx8320

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 14, 2014 2:26:20 AM

I just built a pc with a friend, the components are as follows:

CPU - AMD FX 8320
CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS5X
Motherboard - MSI 970a-g43
GPU - MSI Twin Frozr gtx 760
RAM - Kingston Hyper X (2 sticks of 4gb)
PSU - Corsair CSM 750W Semi Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply
Case - Zalman Z11 (all fans installed)
Optical drive - (doesn't matter, it works)
Hard drive - (1 tb)

I really need help, firstly me and my friend saw the pc run slowly (it shouldn't as it is a gaming pc) so he looked at the cpu temperature (it was 80 degrees C, we shut it down immediately) after spotting this we tightened the cpu cooler (Zalman CNPS5X) after this it was ~50 degrees C, this is way too high because it was just idle, I haven't checked it out on any games yet.

We then used the stock cooler and got a range of 50-60 degrees C

I am getting some more thermal paste and am going to clean the cpu top and Zalman cooler to a hopefully pristine condition and then I am going to fit a small pea size of thermal paste and add on the cpu cooler as soon as possible, I don't know why the cpu was so high and I could really use some help! if you have any suggestions I will be willing to try them out, thank you in advance :) 

More about : overheating amd fx8320

a c 899 à CPUs
a c 359 À AMD
July 14, 2014 4:24:45 AM

Two things, board is not really good for 8 core because of VRM have no cooling and the cooler looks really light for that CPU.
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 11:14:12 AM

rolli59 said:
Two things, board is not really good for 8 core because of VRM have no cooling and the cooler looks really light for that CPU.


I personally have no 100% sure idea of what the temperatures of my CPU should be, it would really help me if you could give me an idea of what they should be, thank you for the help
m
0
l
Related resources
July 14, 2014 11:23:29 AM

Could be the VRM's as said above. Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? Hows the airflow in the case? If it's ambient temp is hot, so will the CPU.
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 11:40:34 AM

CraniumZ said:
Could be the VRM's as said above. Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? Hows the airflow in the case? If it's ambient temp is hot, so will the CPU.


I did apply thermal paste, although i think that there may have been some air bubbles or something like a small gap.
The airflow to the CPU should be perfect, all of my cables are tucked around the back of my right case side or down close to my PSU meaning that the only cables close to the CPU are the parts that power the cooler and 2 fans located above and to the side of the CPU (discluding the cooler on top of the CPU)

The temperature of the other parts of my computer are fine, i am only seeing problems with the CPU, thank you for the help :) 
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 11:53:23 AM

Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
Could be the VRM's as said above. Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? Hows the airflow in the case? If it's ambient temp is hot, so will the CPU.


I did apply thermal paste, although i think that there may have been some air bubbles or something like a small gap.
The airflow to the CPU should be perfect, all of my cables are tucked around the back of my right case side or down close to my PSU meaning that the only cables close to the CPU are the parts that power the cooler and 2 fans located above and to the side of the CPU (discluding the cooler on top of the CPU)

The temperature of the other parts of my computer are fine, i am only seeing problems with the CPU, thank you for the help :) 


Check the voltages in the bios.Try to reset the bios as well.
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 12:01:56 PM

CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
Could be the VRM's as said above. Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? Hows the airflow in the case? If it's ambient temp is hot, so will the CPU.


I did apply thermal paste, although i think that there may have been some air bubbles or something like a small gap.
The airflow to the CPU should be perfect, all of my cables are tucked around the back of my right case side or down close to my PSU meaning that the only cables close to the CPU are the parts that power the cooler and 2 fans located above and to the side of the CPU (discluding the cooler on top of the CPU)

The temperature of the other parts of my computer are fine, i am only seeing problems with the CPU, thank you for the help :) 


Check the voltages in the bios.Try to reset the bios as well.


My dad an I just cleaned the CPU and CPU cooler to a good condition, we used a small amount of thermal paste and tightened the CPU cooler to the CPU well. I don't know how long i will have to wait for the thermal paste to be rdy but after it is (probably tomorow after school) I will look in the BIOS, thanks again :) 

m
0
l
July 14, 2014 12:28:17 PM

I am currently in the BIOS, the CPU temperature is 52 degrees C and the main board system is 29 degrees C
The voltages are:
CPU Core Voltage ~1.2V
3.3V - 3.312V (solid)
5V - 5.107V (solid)
12V - 12.232V (solid)

CPU fan speed ~ 2500 rpm
I hope the information can help you guys in helping me :) 
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 12:45:29 PM

CPU core voltage looks quiet low. From another forum, most people are getting 1.375
This shouldn't explain the high temp though. Did you OC?
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 12:49:21 PM

CraniumZ said:
CPU core voltage looks quiet low. From another forum, most people are getting 1.375
This shouldn't explain the high temp though. Did you OC?


No i havent overclocked the pc

m
0
l
July 14, 2014 1:28:01 PM

Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
CPU core voltage looks quiet low. From another forum, most people are getting 1.375
This shouldn't explain the high temp though. Did you OC?


No i havent overclocked the pc



I am not too sure but it could be either:
A. Bad application of Thermal Paste.
B. Mobo not supporting such a high powered CPU.
C. The CPU could be faulty.
D. It registers the wrong temps.
Have you got any other mobo/CPU's?
m
0
l
a c 899 à CPUs
a c 359 À AMD
July 14, 2014 1:51:35 PM

Max core temp for the CPU is like 62C package can be higher but eventually will force thermal throttling before damage.
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 10:46:39 PM

CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
CPU core voltage looks quiet low. From another forum, most people are getting 1.375
This shouldn't explain the high temp though. Did you OC?


No i havent overclocked the pc



I am not too sure but it could be either:
A. Bad application of Thermal Paste.
B. Mobo not supporting such a high powered CPU.
C. The CPU could be faulty.
D. It registers the wrong temps.
Have you got any other mobo/CPU's?


My friend build the exact same pc as the one i have (using the stock cooler) and he doesn't have any problems.
Also, no i don't have any other mobo's or CPU's

m
0
l
July 14, 2014 10:48:39 PM

What i am going to try is re-installing windows and re-installing the drivers, hopefully this might help because last time when i installed the chipset drivers the temp went down a little
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2014 11:01:21 PM

That CPU cooler will hit in the high 50's or even 61 when under load.

I know you said you installed the paste properly, but you didn't spread it out yourself did you?
m
0
l
July 14, 2014 11:11:49 PM

TheMagicalWallaby said:
That CPU cooler will hit in the high 50's or even 61 when under load.

I know you said you installed the paste properly, but you didn't spread it out yourself did you?


No, i put a small amount (smaller than a pea size, in between a grain of rice and a pea) then i put on the CPU cooler and that spread it out.
the CPU cooler is tight as well with good air flow
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 12:03:31 AM

I run one of those with a Hyper 212 cooler and I idle around 35 and peak around 60 (Under Prime95). I'm not familiar with your cooler and case but you may want to check fan speeds and direction. I've seen more than my share of fans accidentally mounted backwards and end up with temps similar to this.
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 12:24:01 AM

Kryptonyte said:
TheMagicalWallaby said:
That CPU cooler will hit in the high 50's or even 61 when under load.

I know you said you installed the paste properly, but you didn't spread it out yourself did you?


No, i put a small amount (smaller than a pea size, in between a grain of rice and a pea) then i put on the CPU cooler and that spread it out.
the CPU cooler is tight as well with good air flow


This is very unlikely and possibly imposible but could it be the thermal interface thing between the actual processor and the heatsink? I know that intel uses paste between them in order to increase heat conductivity. You should call AMD if I were you. I assume you still have a warranty.
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 8:00:45 AM

Dreigo42 said:
I run one of those with a Hyper 212 cooler and I idle around 35 and peak around 60 (Under Prime95). I'm not familiar with your cooler and case but you may want to check fan speeds and direction. I've seen more than my share of fans accidentally mounted backwards and end up with temps similar to this.


CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
TheMagicalWallaby said:
That CPU cooler will hit in the high 50's or even 61 when under load.

I know you said you installed the paste properly, but you didn't spread it out yourself did you?


No, i put a small amount (smaller than a pea size, in between a grain of rice and a pea) then i put on the CPU cooler and that spread it out.
the CPU cooler is tight as well with good air flow


This is very unlikely and possibly imposible but could it be the thermal interface thing between the actual processor and the heatsink? I know that intel uses paste between them in order to increase heat conductivity. You should call AMD if I were you. I assume you still have a warranty.


My CPU fan is positioned so that it blows hot air into two fans which will remove it from the case
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 8:20:09 AM

Kryptonyte said:
Dreigo42 said:
I run one of those with a Hyper 212 cooler and I idle around 35 and peak around 60 (Under Prime95). I'm not familiar with your cooler and case but you may want to check fan speeds and direction. I've seen more than my share of fans accidentally mounted backwards and end up with temps similar to this.


CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
TheMagicalWallaby said:
That CPU cooler will hit in the high 50's or even 61 when under load.

I know you said you installed the paste properly, but you didn't spread it out yourself did you?


No, i put a small amount (smaller than a pea size, in between a grain of rice and a pea) then i put on the CPU cooler and that spread it out.
the CPU cooler is tight as well with good air flow


This is very unlikely and possibly imposible but could it be the thermal interface thing between the actual processor and the heatsink? I know that intel uses paste between them in order to increase heat conductivity. You should call AMD if I were you. I assume you still have a warranty.


My CPU fan is positioned so that it blows hot air into two fans which will remove it from the case


It has nothing to do with the fans that I was on about. Anyways, in the case, is the pressure positive (More air coming in)?
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 10:02:08 AM

Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 10:45:16 AM

Kryptonyte said:
Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!


What was wrong then?
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 12:12:58 PM

CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!


What was wrong then?


I just reinstalled everything and it works now, it might have been a driver installing poorly
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 1:04:53 PM

Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!


What was wrong then?


I just reinstalled everything and it works now, it might have been a driver installing poorly


Cool. That was weird. Well enjoy :) 
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 1:23:16 PM

CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!


What was wrong then?


I just reinstalled everything and it works now, it might have been a driver installing poorly


Cool. That was weird. Well enjoy :) 


Thanks bro :) 

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2014 8:41:08 PM

Kryptonyte said:
CraniumZ said:
Kryptonyte said:
Thank you guys for all of the help :D 
The pc is now running at good temperatures!


What was wrong then?


I just reinstalled everything and it works now, it might have been a driver installing poorly


Well that is good to hear.
m
0
l
a c 899 à CPUs
a c 359 À AMD
July 16, 2014 3:52:29 AM

Great Enjoy!
m
0
l
!