Used R9 290 vs. New GTX 770

Wou Karess

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello people.
I'm looking to build a new gaming PC, and I'm stuck between these 2 options. I can get a used Sapphire R9 290 which had been used in mining, or a new ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB. The new GTX 770 is about 4% more expensive than the used 290.
I need the card to be durable and I just don't want it dying on me in the next 2 years.
Is there any way to be 100% sure about the quality of the used VGA? Especially on a hot card like 290.
Thanks =)

Solution
D
If any card has been used in mining as is being sold, DON'T BUY IT. Those cards have been on 24/7 365 days a year. They are completely abused and can break down really fast. on the other hand, you may want to stick with AMD and get a 280X which performs on par with the 770 but is cheaper. Although I would always stick with MSI and Asus(whichever is cheaper) as they have the best coolers for your cards
D

Deleted member 1300495

If any card has been used in mining as is being sold, DON'T BUY IT. Those cards have been on 24/7 365 days a year. They are completely abused and can break down really fast. on the other hand, you may want to stick with AMD and get a 280X which performs on par with the 770 but is cheaper. Although I would always stick with MSI and Asus(whichever is cheaper) as they have the best coolers for your cards

Solution

Never buy a mining card, full stop.

That was an easy one, next question!

oxiide

Distinguished
I'd avoid used cards, personally, unless you personally know the person selling it and you trust them.

If the limit of your budget is the $320 or so a GTX 770 would cost, I'd recommend to get an R9 280X. If you're able to swing $350-400 (and actually need the extra graphics power), the R9 290 is excellent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125505
^ Some brand new 290's can be found dangerously close to 770's.

The warranty applies to the owner alone, you cannot claim warranty if you have problem (within the warranty period).. Also, the card depends on how the first user used and maintained it, if it went through heavy loading in its use or overclocking, what if a transistor or something like that gets burnt after you've purchased and used for a while? It's on your own risk.. Also, you've to think why the first user is selling that card now? it may have performance issues or it doesn't deliver it's performance level on purchasing, etc etc..

kenny1007

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I recommend you get the GTX 770. It similar to the R9 280x but more games run better with the 770 hands down. This is because more games are better optimized for Nvidia than AMD plus you get Physx :) . the GTX770 comes with 2gb and 4gb VRAM so it's up to you.

oxiide

Distinguished

It has less to do with optimizations than simply because Kepler at 230 W is just plain faster than Tahiti at 250 W.

It was more of a struggle when Nvidia was trying to be more power-friendly with the GTX 680. But the 770 gives up efficiency to catch the 7970/R9 280X. Its a little faster in most games, more expensive most of the time, and I'd argue you get less for your money at current prices with the 770.