3000 $ build Hackintosh

Enthusiast Builder

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Why are you using a dual channel RAM kit for a quad channel board? Expandability? It seems like money is not a problem, so get a quad channel kit, no?

It seems like you're a little light on cooling... Are you going to pop in some moer cooling in that case? It only comes with 3 fans, all small (2 120s, and 1 140).

If you really feel you need six cores, I guess you need teh X79 platform... the 4820 I think has more "value" (performance for the moeny).

Jambonot

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Firstly thanks a lot for your answer !
Why is a quad channel RAM better ? If I take 16gb in a dual channel, I have some room left if I want to put more RAM, no ? Is there a difference in the performance ?
Do you know a better cpu cooling ?
I shall keep the 4960x, even if the 4960 is just a "little" more powerfull. I need it.
What do you think I could change to make this build even more powerfull ?

Jambonot

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Do you think I should buy a MacPro instead ? I saw your link, and now I have doubts.. I want a powerfull computer that works, but a MacPro uses a Xeon CPU that add 500-800$ for nothing (from my point of view).... without counting the additional money for the "design"...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No, I really don't agree. You can build something that will act like a Mac until you apply an Apple provided update and then break the system. A Hackintosh is a fun experiment, but should not be used in a production environment. They are simply too unstable.

A new Mac Pro starts at $2999. Apple also has refurb deals that can prove to be excellent bargains.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

What applications are you specifically intending to run on this system?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your system needs really depend on the kind of work you intend to do. Please clarify.

Depending on your actual needs, an iMac, Mac-Mini, or even an older Mac Pro might suit your needs. It really depends on the applications you intend to run.

Enthusiast Builder

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

You could make the build more powerful by OCing that chip; however, to do that, you need good cooling. That CPU cooler is a top of the line air one. But that just decides how you get heat away from the chip into the case - you need to think about how you get heat out of the case now. I'd suggest you plan your intakes and exhausts. You should also consider using water over air, but thats on the outside of my personal experience. Also, I'm not familiar with that MoBo, but you should to make sure that the CPU cooler you're using doesn't block those RAM slots' head spreaders. Thats an advantage water blocks/water cooling have - less weight on the MoBo, and less space.

RE RAM - if you buy four sticks of matching RAM, than the bus on that MoBo can effectively quadruple the memory speed. So buying 4 sticks which total 16GB should be faster than 2 sticks totaling 8GB which only uses 2 channels.

Also, think you mean the 4930 (not 4960).

Finally, I am ignorant on the whole "running Apple OSs on non Apple hardware"; you should listen to COLGeek...

TRENDING THREADS