$1000 build/buy school/video editing computer

Jul 14, 2014
Hello! I've been thinking about building a computer, as my title suggests. I wasn't sre where to go to voice my trepidation on the subject, but I decided to ask here. I'm not sure whether I should buy or build a computer; I know that building can be cheaper for better options and that it's easily customizable, however...I have a month to figure this all out. I'm trying to get a computer before I start school again in August, and although I've been doing my research, I've never built a computer or really anything of the sort before. I know basics, but I'm not sure I can make one that will satisfy me. I'd like other opinions. Do you guys think it's simple enough that I can do this with my time constraint and limited knowledge? Also do you think it's worth it? To clarify, I'm planning on not only doing school projects on this computer, but also playing games and maybe some minor video editing. If I'm going to make my own computer, I really need to get started, so if anyone has a suggestion of where to begin please enlighten me! If there's a certain webpage that can point me in the right direction or if you know what the best way to do it is, especially for a first-timer, please share! Lots of people have seemed to ay that computer building is like legos, but I have a hard time believing that it's that easy. Thanks!

Edit: Somehow I forgot to mention, but my budget is $1000.

Solution
i have moved your post to our /systems/newbuild/ section to attract more attention. i have also changed your titled so that users can better find and respond to your thread.

Just about anyone can build a computer if they take the time to watch a few videos, take the time to learn the basics of how a computer works and as long as they take the time to make sure they do it right.

as far as finding which parts to pick you can rely on those of us more intimately familiar with building computers to provide that information for you. all you will need to do is fill out the information sheet we have posted at the top of the /systems/ forum detailing information on what is required and your preferences.

most importantly what is included in...
i have moved your post to our /systems/newbuild/ section to attract more attention. i have also changed your titled so that users can better find and respond to your thread.

Just about anyone can build a computer if they take the time to watch a few videos, take the time to learn the basics of how a computer works and as long as they take the time to make sure they do it right.

as far as finding which parts to pick you can rely on those of us more intimately familiar with building computers to provide that information for you. all you will need to do is fill out the information sheet we have posted at the top of the /systems/ forum detailing information on what is required and your preferences.

most importantly what is included in the budget (is this for tower only or for everything including mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor?)

we can also answer any questions that you have about building a computer such as what goes where in a pinch although we suggest that you watch a few videos or read a few tutorials to at least get all the basics down.

generally prebuilt computers are not recommended as you can not be sure as to the quality of components they use. for instance they may include cheap power supplies (accident waiting to happen) or other low-end brand hardware while charging you for top end equipment. you really need to be careful of that.

building it yourself might not save you alot of money however you can be sure as to the quality of components inside the build.

Solution

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
That is a great budget with wonderful room for opportunity. As stated by ssd, you can do a lot with that money. One great advantage often forgotten is that it is cheaper to upgrade a custom built computer since the parts are quality, last longer, and you can retain some of the parts. Every time you but a new pc you buy a new cd drive and a new case and power supply, but those can usually be kept depending on the stress level endured.

p.s computer building is like legos, they snap together. It is basically a simple put parts in box, screw here, here and there, plug cord in there, refer to manual, install operating systemm and troubleshoot. About an hour or two max, if you rely on good tutorials. Check out the build advise and posted builds on the systems forum for help getting started.