Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Backup Battery In Case of Power Outage for 1300w PSU

Tags:
  • Power Outage
  • Battery
  • Power Supplies
  • Backup
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 14, 2014 1:29:12 PM

I've been looking for a backup battery for my computer in case there's a power outage but I can't find one that supplies 1300 watts. Do these even exist? If they do, I would be grateful if you could provide links. Thanks in advance.

More about : backup battery case power outage 1300w psu

a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2014 1:41:30 PM

They do exist. They are not specifically for computers. Do you just want one that will just allow you to shut down your computer safely?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2014 1:42:46 PM

By the way they are calls UPS, uninterruptible power supply.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 14, 2014 1:47:15 PM

byza said:
They do exist. They are not specifically for computers. Do you just want one that will just allow you to shut down your computer safely?


I want to be able to have about an hour of usage and a safe shut down.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2014 2:04:23 PM

Usage is going to be affected by load. The one I linked will give you about 5 minutes at full load and you're looking at about $500. For an hour, it's going to be a lot more expensive, especially given that you need a very high wattage. You might want to talk to a professional UPS company, like APC, or perhaps even look at home systems.
Share
July 14, 2014 2:05:59 PM

byza said:
Usage is going to be affected by load. The one I linked will give you about 5 minutes at full load and you're looking at about $500. For an hour, it's going to be a lot more expensive, especially given that you need a very high wattage. You might want to talk to a professional UPS company, like APC, or perhaps even look at home systems.


Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
September 3, 2014 2:27:48 PM

I think your best bet for an hour or more of battery time is to get a 12 RV battery and an inverter.
m
0
l
September 3, 2014 3:10:59 PM

gruffdog said:
I think your best bet for an hour or more of battery time is to get a 12 RV battery and an inverter.


Wow, I never thought there would be more replies to this extremely old thread. Anyways, what is that?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2014 3:53:41 PM

The battery out of a campervan and a device that converts power from DC to AC. Like those plugs that you can plug into a cigaret lighter in the car to plug in laptop power cords, but this one would hook up straight to the battery. If you do go for this option make sure you go for a pure sine wave inverter, you definitely don't want to end up with a square wave inverter. The problem with this setup is I don't see how you're going to be able to put it on an automatic switch to kick in when the power goes out.

What is your build? Just because you have a 1300w PSU doesn't mean you're going to use 1300w. Also, where are you that the power goes out for an hour regularly enough to warrant needing a UPS to power it for that long?
m
0
l
September 3, 2014 4:37:20 PM

byza said:
The battery out of a campervan and a device that converts power from DC to AC. Like those plugs that you can plug into a cigaret lighter in the car to plug in laptop power cords, but this one would hook up straight to the battery. If you do go for this option make sure you go for a pure sine wave inverter, you definitely don't want to end up with a square wave inverter. The problem with this setup is I don't see how you're going to be able to put it on an automatic switch to kick in when the power goes out.

What is your build? Just because you have a 1300w PSU doesn't mean you're going to use 1300w. Also, where are you that the power goes out for an hour regularly enough to warrant needing a UPS to power it for that long?


Specs:
AMD Athlon X4 760K (OC'd to 4.6GHz)
MSI A88X G45 Gaming FM2+ ATX Motherboard
PNY XLR8 1x8GB 1866MHz
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 4GB (OC'd to 1.26GHz)
Cooler Master V8 GTS
Cooler Master Enforcer
Rosewill Lightning 1300w 80+ Gold Certified
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 480GB SSD (C:\ Drive)
Kingston SSDNow V3 120GB SSD (H:\ Drive)
Seagate 1TB HDD (D:\ Drive)

I am planning to have some more RAM, SSD storage, and switch to Intel (5820k or 4970k or wait for Broadwell). And go SLI with either 760 4GB (OC'd), GTX 880 (if the performance is superior to the 780 Ti), or GTX 980. (If I'm really going to wait).
m
0
l