Solved

Help with upgrading Mobo and RAM

So my system is this:
AMD FX-4100 CPU
960GM-GS3 FX Motherboard
8GB Dual-Channel Corsair ValueSelect RAM
GTX 600 Graphics Card
1TB HDD
CX600 Corsair PSU
NZXT Guardian 921(Blue) Case

My problem is not necessarily gaming, but just normal usage. I have all updated drivers and applications. I believe that my problem comes from an older low-end Mobo and very bad RAM. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a Mobo and RAM that work well together that works with my CPU(AM3+ Socket)
All my programs are pretty slow, things load slowly, and all around the system is 'laggy'
It would be great if the total of the Mobo and the RAM is under $200? If not I am willing to wait a little longer to upgrade to something that will really help. Would prefer Corsair RAM but am open to suggestions.
Thank you very much!
PS. Would it be a good idea to buy an SSD for my programs such as Windows(Boot Drive) and things like Photoshop and Premiere?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading mobo ram
  1. Best answer
    The problem is not in your rig, but in your OS. Format the HDD and reinstall the OS.
    If can not format the HDD in the present time, I'll suggest a few tasks to improve the performance of your computer.
    Note: I have 4GB RAM and Core i3 1st and it is running everything smooth.
  2. Anonymous said:
    The problem is not in your rig, but in your OS. Format the HDD and reinstall the OS.
    If can not format the HDD in the present time, I'll suggest a few tasks to improve the performance of your computer.
    Note: I have 4GB RAM and Core i3 1st and it is running everything smooth.


    So even with gaming wiping my HDD and re installing Windows will help that much? I figured it would help, just not that much.
  3. Yes and it will help a lot! When you reinstall an OS, you get rid off all the junk of registries, drivers, temporaries files and backups that your systeam is not using anymore. Also, you will need to intall new and fresh released drivers, wich also help out.
  4. an OS or software problem most likely, but this memtest will reveal any memory problems.you should try each ram stick at a time. if no errors found nothing's wrong with your ram and im pretty comfident there isnt any problem with it. having probematic ram would lead on bsod, freezes...laggy performance could be due to many other reasons. try this to measure your hdd performance http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html and check your cpu - gpu temps at idle and under load.! core temp - gpuz . as said, formating and reinstalling OS will clear things out.! however, your mobo isnt that good and an upgrade would surely help if you intend to use an ssd which will improve you boot times, response and copying greatly! this is your best option for the money.can easily run and o/c an FX 8350!

    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWWsXL/by_merchant/
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $74.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
  5. Anonymous said:
    Yes and it will help a lot! When you reinstall an OS, you get rid off all the junk of registries, drivers, temporaries files and backups that your systeam is not using anymore. Also, you will need to intall new and fresh released drivers, wich also help out.


    Do you have the best way for me to do a new factory install won Win 7? I have the Product Key but do not have a disc. Is there an easy way without using 3rd party installers? Most of the time I do not trust them.
  6. I have the recovery disc. I am about to run it. I will keep you posted with how it runs afterwards. Thank you very much!
  7. Sorry, I didn't see your post. Well, I'll try to type some instructions and I'll send it to you. PM me whenever possible to remeber me of this topic.
  8. Anonymous said:
    Sorry, I didn't see your post. Well, I'll try to type some instructions and I'll send it to you. PM me whenever possible to remeber me of this topic.


    I am now finished installing all drivers and most programs. Seems to be running nice and smooth. Thank you so much!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM AMD CPUs Corsair Dual Channel