FX 8320 + Hyper 212 EVO Running too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssmarco

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have an FX 8320 + Hyper 212 EVO that is running right know at 3.5 Ghz (turbo is disabled). It's running at less than the stock speed (4.0 ghz at turbo) because when I set the speed, even at only 3.7 ghz, it just get too hot and starts throttling. Which shouldn't do because hyper 212 EVO should be more than enough for run a FX-8320 at stock speed.

The temps are, turbo enabled at 3.7 Ghz (still less than stock):
(room temperature: 28º / 82 F. It's summer)
Iddle: 43º (monitoring wiht ASrock tuning utility)
Stress test: +68º or + 154 F. When it gets 68º it starts throttling all time. (this also happens when playing games, which is very annoying)

I just replaced thermal paste (cooler master thermal paste) and cleaned the PC but the temps didn't change.

These temps aren't normal, right?

My pc:
-FX 8320 Black Edition running at 3.5 GHz 1.2V (stock voltage is 1.25V, but it seemed too high) . Turbo disabled (the stock turbo is 4.0 GHz 1.425. Way too high, It can run at 1.25V but still throttle)
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. One fan (stock).
-Cooler Master Strike X 600W
-AMD Shappire 7870 Ghz
-Asrock 970 Extreme 4 (4 + 1 power phase design. Maybe too low? But if it were too low everybody would have this throttling problems at stock speeds... And I have read about people even overclocking the FX 8320 with the asrock 970 extreme4 without problems)
-Case: Nox Coolbay SX Debil (with the 2 chassis fans it includes, front and back)

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I once had a 8320 with an asrock extreme 4. The temp you are reading for the cpu is actually the temp of the socket. AMD tells you that you should follow the core temp instead of the socket temp. the core temp is the one that makes no sense what so ever until you work the pc. AMD doesnt actually use a temp sensor on the chip but its estimated with software. Its common to have a core temp of mid 40s on AMD but have the socket temp be high 70s. The reason is the hyper212 doesnt blow air on the socket like the stock heatsink/fan. Unfortunately, This causes the cpu to throttle after the socket passes the 70s. I had a h100i on my old 8320 and the temps overclocked was mid 40s but the socket was high 70s and it gave me many headaches. One thing you could try is, if you have a vent on the side panel, use it as an intake blowing air on the socket and vrm. Another is to suspend a fan with zipties but thats a little fugly. The last thing I can think of is to run the airflow of your case in reverse so the fan in the bake is an intake. thatway, its sure to pass the socket. If none of this sounds like a good idea to you, you could buy a low profile cooler like the noctua NH-C14. this cooler is really nice for an amd system because it cools the socket aswell. Once you figure this out, you'll be happy to realize you have a lot of overclocking headroom left in regards to temps.

You already figured this out. Hyper 212 is not sufficient to cool the 8 core FX, and your motherboard isn't suited for that CPU either. The 212 was a great cooler for Phenom II x4, but unfortunately it is overhyped by knownothings such that many are fooled into thinking it can cool CPUs that have much higher heat loads.

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

He's not overclocking, if anything its underclocked. If the dinky stock cooler can cool the cpu, so can a hyper 212 and cool it better. the problem, I deduced via experience with the processor and hours of trial and error + hours of reading Is the socket temp heating up. that asrock utility shows the socket temp. He would have the same result with a h110 strapped to it..

The socket sensor is used as a accurate representation of idle temps. OP, you shou ld read this regarding understanding fx temp readings. http://

and use this program to minitor the temps, its made with amd in mind http://

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

The link you provided agrees with me.

"The second, and trickier temperature to understand, is thermal margin. "Thermal Margin indicates how far the current operating temperature is below the
maximum operating temperature of the processor." -AMD. Further information can be found in the BIOS and Kernal Developer's Guide This temperature is based off of precise calculations that are very accurate during heavy loads. This is what you should be concerned with while stress testing your CPU. This is also the signal that is most often erroneously interpretted by 3rd party programs like HWMonitor, ect. Use AMD Overdrive to measure thermal margin."

when I say core temp, im not referring to the program but the package cpu core temp

cssmarco

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
So I read the answers and I didn't know AMD cpus are that way monitoring temp.

I have done again the stress test with stock speeds (4.0 ghz turbo enabled) but watching the Argus Monitor and AMD Overdrive temps and while the CPU Socket temp tells 68º (and then starts throttling) the Core temp is actually 49º (a much better temp) and Thermal Margin in AMD Overdrive is 19º when the CPU starts throttling.

So I guess this means that my CPU is actually 49º? That's a good temp. However the CPU keeps throttling at 68º CPU socket. And I have tried disabling everything on bios (all cpu options: cool n quiet, C6....) settings and changing everything to "manual" and it stills throtle.
Btw my bios is 2.60. the last version.

You are better off leaving Turbo and all of the power saving features enabled if you would like to run cooler.

cssmarco

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

I reloaded default bios settings for the CPU, so they are enabled.
The problem now is how to disable the throttling...

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I just noticed you have the asrock 970 extreme 4 instead of the 990fx. The vrm could be getting rather toasty and the pcb absorbing the heat could carry it to the socket exacerbating the problem. If you can, the cheapest way about going about it is mounting a 120mm/140mm fan blowing on the socket and vrm and it should solve the problem. and a slight voltage reduction while keeping everything else on stock couldnt hurt either. Seeing how the board doesnt support 125watt cpus. a combination of both will get you the farthest. As it stands the higher then spec cpu is causing the socket to run hotter then it was designed to.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

OK, throttling is caused by your VRM's on that crappy motherboard not the Hyper 212. The VRM's can't adequately feed that cpu the juice needed. They throttle to keep from burning up. That is what causes throttling. It is a motherboard issue.

JagonEye

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Finally found a solution to my overheating and i believe everyone else with the same problem will too.
Go to bios( press del, maybe F2(depends on mobo))
Disable Turbo
Save and Restart
Enable HPC*(high perfomance computing) if you dont have it disable APM**
Save.

That way your FX processor will have all the cores on max frequency all the time, there will be no half load or full load turbo, and there will be no throttling to 2.9 ghz or around it.

what is half and full load turbo?
Half load turbo = only half of cores goes to max frequency. (this happens very rarley)
Full load turbo = all cores goes to 3.7ghz(this mode happens most of the time, so you almost never see max turbo frequency)
Note:I also disabled AMD Cool and Quiet in the BIOS
I found this solution on Youtube of a video of prime95 testing on fx8320 by a guy.Earlier my temperatures were upto 60 and also sometimes 70 too which can fry your cpu or decrease its life.Now my temps are below 50 degrees and mostly stable around 48 degrees.All my cores now max out to 3.5 ghz and stay there while playing heavy games like AC Unity and Crysis 3.Trust me there is no problem with 4+1 mobo and Stock Vcore voltages and whatever else others tell you.I am using a cheap MOBO:GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3.As for idle time my temps stay as low as 21 degrees.I had brought my pc just a month ago and i was searching for a solution since 15 days like a crazy mad person.Hope it solves your problem too.

Blake_17

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hi, I know I am resurrecting a dead thread here, but here's what I have discovered. The AMD Fan that comes already mounted to the CPU is pushing air INTO the CPU rather than using induction and pulling air from its edges through the CPU. I got my fan and noticed the same thing, it was hitting 62-65*C. So was the MOBO. The Powersupply was getting so hot it was shutting off randomly and restarting despite having two case fans pulling 65cfm a piece running full bore. I flipped the stock fan around so it pulls rather than pushes air, put some rubber spacers in where the screws go in to lift it off a little bit, and viola! I rarely hit above 52*C. But that damn thing is noisy as shit. I am putting a 70-120mm adapter onto it and putting in a big 76cfm case fan to handle the cooling now. The stock cpu doesn't have a very large heatsink, but it seems to get the job done at the very least until I can order a bigger CPU Heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.