R9 290 performance query

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
Hey guys n gals.

I have just traded my Zotac GTX 770 for a XFX R9 290.

Got rid of the nvidia drivers and installed the catalyst ones ofc... I'm also using a water cooler as I'm not into these 80C+ temps.

One initial thing i notice that with the 770 on full gpu load I was hitting around 40C Max using furmark.

On the 290 I'm hitting around 60C. Fair enough it's meant to be a more powerful card so it's bound to run hotter. but when I was playing War thunder on maximum settings at 1080P (my regular settings) I'm getting around 60-80 fps....where with the 770 I was hitting a stable 144fps. (as I have a 144Hz Monitor)

That doesn't quite make sense. Might I have missed something?

Cheers

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
Yeah. It was nice and stable. So I thought grabbing the 290 would have given me more umph. But I guess if its more optimized for Nvidia then what more can one do. But I'm sure I should be able to get a bit more than what I am getting more.

I was going by the fps that shows up in the game. Never bothered using fraps for it as WT has the fps marker built in. Maybe I just haven't set the AMD system settings correctly. I mean this is the first AMD card I've owned.

TRENDING THREADS