Solved

laptop interfacing wit projector

is it very necessary to have a vga port to interface laptop wit projector???.... HDMI has emerged recently.. what abt d older projectors??... do they have a usb port or hdmi port??..... n can v interface using usb port??
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about laptop interfacing wit projector
  1. No there is no native way to interface vga to usb, these are completley different. There is usb graphics cards that provide you with a vga port, but they run$100+.

    As far as if older projectors support hdmi, it depends on the model and how old "old" is. We have 6 year old projectors here and they dont have an hdmi but they do have an m1 port which is dvi+usb, dvi and hdmi are completely compatible so you would just need a hdmi-to-dvi cable/adapter and then a dvi-to-m1 adapter (total of maybee $12 on monoprice.com) and you will be connected to your projecter (video only, no audio).
  2. i wanna buy a laptop n i am confused between two.. one has usb ports n hdmi port .... the other has usb ports n vga cable... i wanna buy the one wit hdmi... i wanna know if i can interface projector with this...
  3. boosted1g said:
    No there is no native way to interface vga to usb, these are completley different. There is usb graphics cards that provide you with a vga port, but they run$100+.

    As far as if older projectors support hdmi, it depends on the model and how old "old" is. We have 6 year old projectors here and they dont have an hdmi but they do have an m1 port which is dvi+usb, dvi and hdmi are completely compatible so you would just need a hdmi-to-dvi cable/adapter and then a dvi-to-m1 adapter (total of maybee $12 on monoprice.com) and you will be connected to your projecter (video only, no audio).


    i wanna buy a laptop n i am confused between two.. one has usb ports n hdmi port .... the other has usb ports n vga cable... i wanna buy the one wit hdmi... i wanna know if i can interface projector with this...
  4. Ok, I cant tell you how to interface with your projector if you dont tell me what projector you have. Without that I dont know what ports are on your projector.
  5. boosted1g said:
    Ok, I cant tell you how to interface with your projector if you dont tell me what projector you have. Without that I dont know what ports are on your projector.


    as of now i don ve a projector in front of me..... i wanna buy a lap top n b sure tht i can interface it wit most commonplace projectors...projectors which r generally used in educational institutions.. the most selling ordinary projectors
  6. Best answer
    In that case most all projectors have either an hdmi or m1 connector, at worst you would need $12-15 worth of cables/adapters to make hdmi work with m1 port. I would go ahead and go for the hdmi, especially since most all laptops with vga ports still on them are very low end laptops.

    I cant in any way guarantee that every projector you run into will have digital inputs, but anything made in the last 6 years should. My wife is an educator and the epson projectors her school uses has hdmi.
  7. boosted1g said:
    In that case most all projectors have either an hdmi or m1 connector, at worst you would need $12-15 worth of cables/adapters to make hdmi work with m1 port. I would go ahead and go for the hdmi, especially since most all laptops with vga ports still on them are very low end laptops.

    I cant in any way guarantee that every projector you run into will have digital inputs, but anything made in the last 6 years should. My wife is an educator and the epson projectors her school uses has hdmi.


    thanks!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Port HDMI Projector