840 EVO on SATA 2 3gb/s, really weird test results

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Ok so as title, I have my 120gb Samsung 840 EVO (with RAPID enabled) running off of a SATA II 3gb/s port (As I have no SATA 3 on my crap motherboard) in AHCI mode. These are the results I get when I run AS SSD Benchmark, and I also get similar results in Samsung's Magician software.

AS SSD:

Magician:

Now I'm obviously not complaining that the sequential read/write scores are high as that's good, but they seem impossibly high, especially since they are way above the max given by Samsung. My guess is that either RAPID is ridiculously good, or that there's some sort of error on my drive. Any ideas?

RAPID mode uses your system RAM, that's why your benchmark results are so high.

If you want to double-check whether your drive is ok or not then just disable RAPID mode, reboot your pc, re-run both benchmark tests, and see how close your results are to Samsung's advertised speeds.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Ok, but say my game is stored on my HDD. Will I still get a performance boost?

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Right ok, thanks for clearing that up :) Tbh I can't see the performance boost from running on an SSD compared to a HDD being THAT much, bearing in mind the read/write times on my HDD are SUPER slow. I also can't shortstroke the HDD as it's got a lot on it that I can't back up anywhere to format the drive, but hopefully in the future I can get a bigger SSD for storage :)

Palorim12

Distinguished

The only thing the SSD would affect in Games is the loading of Maps for like Multiplayer games or games like Skyrim which is open worl and is constaly loading areas.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

So maybe Minecraft would see a boost?

Palorim12

Distinguished

Possibly....no promises though, lol